ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Driver74
Posts: 117
Joined: 18 May 2017, 19:59
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Driver74 »

You are wrong about can’t be paid it doesn’t happen where I work but it does in some delivery offices a good friend of mine works nights on the css machines when he’s on leave he regularly gets a call to go in on ot when someone is sick and he definitely gets paid
GRS
Posts: 826
Joined: 15 Jun 2015, 18:38
Gender: Female
Location: South West

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by GRS »

It can’t be paid. If it is it’s wrong and is fraud as you are being paid twice. It does go on but managers have to hide the payments (maybe over a few weeks) as the system doesn’t allow it.
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Xr4 »

I've done it once, worked 5 days whilst being off. The office was in the poo and they begged me to work it. Didn't know it wasn't allowed tho! Although my kid did get really spoilt the next week lol

I do know I'm allowed to work 2 days when I'm on leave tho as I'm contracted to 24hrs over 4 days, so I'm working my days off
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Celgar »

Driver74 wrote:You are wrong about can’t be paid it doesn’t happen where I work but it does in some delivery offices a good friend of mine works nights on the css machines when he’s on leave he regularly gets a call to go in on ot when someone is sick and he definitely gets paid
I'm not wrong. If it is happening anywhere then the manager concerned is breaking the rules.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Celgar wrote:
Driver74 wrote:You are wrong about can’t be paid it doesn’t happen where I work but it does in some delivery offices a good friend of mine works nights on the css machines when he’s on leave he regularly gets a call to go in on ot when someone is sick and he definitely gets paid
I'm not wrong. If it is happening anywhere then the manager concerned is breaking the rules.
Law, not rules, Law.

You cannot be on leave and working at the same time.

https://www.personneltoday.com/hr/legal ... n-holiday/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Legal risks to the employer

It is not possible for employees to contract out of their statutory holiday entitlement. Therefore, there is a risk, although as yet untested, that if workers are required or pressurised to work while on holiday they could bring a claim that their employer refused to permit them to take their statutory holiday entitlement in breach of the Working Time Regulations.
http://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/can-employ ... ave/88802/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Employers must ensure that employees are able to take the minimum statutory annual leave entitlement under the Working Time Regulations 1998 (SI 1998/1833).
So not a "should" but a "must", so if you work during your statutory leave (which is most of our basic annual entitlement) and the managers know this, then they are potentially breaking the law. But then as Royal Mail don't train managers. or least don't appear to, in basic employment law, it will get brushed under the carpet till someone is caught.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Driver74
Posts: 117
Joined: 18 May 2017, 19:59
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Driver74 »

I didn’t say the official rules allow it all I was saying is that it definitely does happen in some delivery offices when they are pushed for staff
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by rambo1 »

Why do people with kids think they should get special treatment? It's your choice to have kids is it not.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by greengiant »

To the op, ask to see if any colleagues are looking to swap leave? You may find there are people who would rather take holidays out with the school holiday period?
Your late today
Posts: 57
Joined: 09 Oct 2017, 13:37
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by Your late today »

rambo1 wrote:Why do people with kids think they should get special treatment? It's your choice to have kids is it not.
Exactly some people have partners that work in schools but have no children or grown up children who want school holidays.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by joewyan »

rambo1 wrote:Why do people with kids think they should get special treatment? It's your choice to have kids is it not.
Well said! We all have equal rights to time off, just because people choose to have a child doesn’t give them the right to dictate holidays
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by clashcityrocker »

joewyan wrote:
rambo1 wrote:Why do people with kids think they should get special treatment? It's your choice to have kids is it not.
Well said! We all have equal rights to time off, just because people choose to have a child doesn’t give them the right to dictate holidays
I know. It is like those people who need time off to look after elderly relatives.
Nobody asked them not to die at a respectable age.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32809
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by POSTMAN »

To the OP and tbf anyone else who wants a chat, are there any extra leave slots due to summer lapsing.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by joewyan »

clashcityrocker wrote:
joewyan wrote:
rambo1 wrote:Why do people with kids think they should get special treatment? It's your choice to have kids is it not.
Well said! We all have equal rights to time off, just because people choose to have a child doesn’t give them the right to dictate holidays
I know. It is like those people who need time off to look after elderly relatives.
Nobody asked them not to die at a respectable age.
Somehow I think this is a little different. I’m not denying anyone time off, and obviously parents are still able to have time off if their children are sick etc. However why they think they should have all the school holidays because they have children is not right. The OP has 3 weeks in school holidays, that’s 3 more than me.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Leave Slots no more school holiday slots left can I apply for unpaid leave

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

To be fair to the OP he hasn't asked to be treated as a special case, all he was doing is asking what his options are.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.