ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!

Post by yellowbelly »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I like a HCT duty as I like working at my own pace and I like the fact that you don't have to do any lapsing.
Hi pesh,

that may not be the case in all offices, HCT's walks where I've worked are required to take lapsing if able to within their hours.....
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!

Post by Xr4 »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I like a HCT duty as I like working at my own pace and I like the fact that you don't have to do any lapsing.
You haven't been to our office, we have a hct round that is always lapsed and a second one that they lapse when they feel like it too. So not only does our hct guys have just one set of lapsing, sometimes they have double lapsing!
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!

Post by Ozzvaldo »

The HCT duties in my office are much easier than the shared van duties (about 3.5 hrs delivery, some shorter, compared to 4.5hs on the vans) and everybody wants one. Barely a week goes by when somebody doesn't limp into the office saying, "I've got a bad leg so I don't think I could manage my duty today....unless you can move somebody off a HCT and I might be able to struggle around." Or variations on that theme, some of them highly inventive and amusing.
zombiepostman
Posts: 41
Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 18:13
Gender: Male

High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!

Post by zombiepostman »

In my office we don't have any shared van rounds HCT town rounds or rural van only (small town)
I have used a hct for 9 years and i like it but my health has deteriorated using them as the constant grind has worn both knees and ankles out.we have rounds of 4.30 to 5 hours long and lapse most days.
The plus points outweigh the negative but not as good as a pushbike no stress on knees with one
I have now come to realise this job is basically for the younger generation and good luck to them but the longer you stay in the job the more likely hood you will need joint replacements sooner than later.
We did have one stolen once but only because it wasn't chained up (not that it takes much effort to get into a locked one)
and occasionally you shed a tyre, brake cable has also snapped and the locks will break but if you look after it and pray on your day off it is not abused they are ok.
Edward Hunter
Posts: 680
Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30

High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!

Post by Edward Hunter »

No problem using a HCT. Main bug bears are constantly putting the break on and off, and the annoying habit the swivel wheels at the front have of spinning the thing round if you leave it on any uneven suface. So be careful when stopping near parked cars! Its hard to rush with an HCT duty if you do it by the book, but leave it at the end of the road and leg it round with a bag and its a lot faster, if thats your thing,of course. Otherwise you are the boss, no aggro from a partner, get a couple of bags out to the driver so you dont have too much weight to push round. Whats not to like
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4116
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!

Post by ted_e_bear »

Oh yeah just remembered, just when you'd stopped laughing from "no bills today" there's the different hilarious comments you'll get, one of the classics is "I'll have an ice cream please"
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

High Capacity Trolley (HCT) Feedback Please!

Post by clashcityrocker »

In offices that had bikes there was a cycle mechanic in each office.
I don't understand why there isn't a HCT mechanic in each office.
If I use the brake 2 million times each day the brake needs to be tightened on a very regular basis.
If this was my bike it would need to be done every 2/3 days.
The mechanic simply doesn't visit often enough. And sometimes they don't do anything.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.