Paying more will be a sticking point for many as I know a lot of people only pay 1%.dingo wrote:But we have always had different pension schemes , when I started I was in the POSS scheme section b whereas a significant amount of fellow workers were in the civil service scheme, than in 1987 Royal Mail introduced the section c scheme POPS. Than when the final salary scheme was closed in 2008 individuals were forced to go into an unagreed scheme the DC scheme.LouBarlow wrote:Separate pension schemes will just divide the workforce, which is what RM ultimately wants as it reduces the union's power. We need to stand together and fight for new starters as much as anyone.
We are close to having for the first time in my 35 year Royal Mail career one pension scheme , the fact Royal Mail want it is opening doors up to and including Downing Street and I expect something within weeks not months.
In the interim we are up lifting individual who have done 5 years of which is over half of those in the current DC scheme.
Now let’s be clear I am doing members meetings in different delivery offices and doing one this morning , people who are in the DC scheme and POPS scheme need to understand that they will have to pay more pension contributions than they are currently under the new scheme as for POPs they will have to pay 6% on their first £3500 and for those in the DC they will have to pay 6% and only 5% current do so within the DC scheme.
Rm pension is one of the best but what you don't mention is that if things go wrong and only someone with a crystal ball will be able to do this.
Markets go up and down like companies and with the best will in the world we don't know what's going to happen.
Talking to parliament will take years in my opinion but we shall see on that one
Also over the next 20 years I expect the pension will change many times
To me you will on find out what it's like when you draw your pension and even then things may change