ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Get this

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Get this

Post by k979aaa »

Glp28357 wrote:I've posted before, asking for advice relating to meal breaks when you are on a town walk on housing estates with a HCT and no facilities what so ever like cafes, pubs, shops, toilets or even a park bench - just me, my HCT and seemingly endless streets of houses. I got no advice whatsoever, apart from one joker who suggested sitting on the HCT! It's ok if you're in a van, as you have some shelter from the elements, somewhere to sit whilst having a drink or bite to eat and also the means to go to the nearest pub, McDonalds etc or even back to the delivery office if you need the toilet.
If you think it warrants that because of the lack of facilities you are within your rights while you go for a pee or Number 2 you could go back to office take your full meal relief come back at finish time and bring it all back as long as you told them you may not be able to complete because of the lack of facilities and their pig headed attitude I am sure they have tea and biscuits and have a toilet!
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by yellowbelly »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
crimson king wrote:Okay, thanks, interesting. Never seen one.
Then someone is f***ing up as part of the Walk Log for deliveries should warn the postie of ALL health and safety hazards, dogs, slippy paths lose grates etc. If a postie has a serious accident, or incident with a dog, and the HSE investigate the managers will need to do a lot of explaining.
Have seen walk logs detailing which houses have dogs etc. but document does not include anything about duty start/finish, work processes for that duty
e.g if general IPS work or D2D prep is included or someone else does it, large parcels delivery for other walks, breaks and break locations.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32809
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by POSTMAN »

Possibly what some of you could do is get your reps and coaches to come on here and indulge in this thread, I am absolutely gobsmacked that in this day and age and after all these years and various revisions that a lot of you are not aware of what is in your duty and where and when you take your breaks.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Get this

Post by k979aaa »

POSTMAN wrote:Possibly what some of you could do is get your reps and coaches to come on here and indulge in this thread, I am absolutely gobsmacked that in this day and age and after all these years and various revisions that a lot of you are not aware of what is in your duty and where and when you take your breaks.
Trouble is POSTMAN is most of our offices up north are as directed by manager 318's when't out the window 10 years ago or so even the managers don't know what is going on half the time they started using boards with name's IPS/double Prep on them they still could not work it out now they go into a meeting every five minutes or as soon as the s**t it's the fan with the OFFICE DOM even then they have conference with area high up's.
miniHovis
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 Jun 2015, 17:32
Gender: Female

Get this

Post by miniHovis »

Never seen a 318 for any of the duties I’ve coverwd in my office, I mean I still haven’t got an id badge after 3 years in the job and chasing it up with the numerous managers that have been in and out
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by Xr4 »

I covered a duty in another office a few weeks back, went to check the walk logs for where to park the van etc. It was written for the duty to be done on a bike!
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by Celgar »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
crimson king wrote:
JKSmudge wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:Why still the obsession with breaks, or rather not having them.
You've all had your revisions you all have on paper your duty structures why is it so hard.
Or is it a case of I'll do what I want.
Can I ask what you mean by this ? as I cannot be the only one who doesn't have a clue what you are talking about.
Nope, not the only one. No idea what a duty structure is....paper or otherwise. But then I'm part time, it's probably pro rata, whatever it is.....

The tasks that duty is to perform, what the start and finish time is. When are the breaks planned, when and if you should double prep or IPs etc. The walk log.
Double prep. We tried to do that years ago in our DO. It never worked out.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Get this

Post by DGH »

POSTMAN wrote:Possibly what some of you could do is get your reps and coaches to come on here and indulge in this thread, I am absolutely gobsmacked that in this day and age and after all these years and various revisions that a lot of you are not aware of what is in your duty and where and when you take your breaks.
I'm gobsmacked that you're gobsmacked.

I doubt more than 5% of our walk logs are up to date and I'm absolutely certain that not one of them defines start or finish times or when and where you are meant to take your breaks. Most of them don't have much actually useful information and probably more than half the walks are not tied up in fitting order for a variety of reasons.

We do have defined start/finish times but hideous confusion is caused because of the variety of contracted hours assigned to staff within the office.

And then of course there are the (literally) thousands of new builds that have simply been lumped on the closest walks without regard to whether the walk is then achievable or not. The reps don't raise a fuss about this, a couple of the coaches do but are continually ignored.
wookie
Posts: 319
Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by wookie »

Walk logs are not up to date in my office. Toilet facilities for places that are not there! (Doctors, pubs, that are now closed)
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by crimson king »

Okay, so managed to finish a bit earlier yesterday and had a good old mooch about the frame and found the walk log tucked away under a few years worth of rubber bands and various paraphernalia. It was last updated in 2013 and doesn't include any info about toilet breaks, how long the duty should take etc. Basically it just identifies some risks such as gradients, dogs that aren't at the addresses any more, a couple of half arsed highlighted maps that bear little relation to what I actually walk every day and dull lighting in a block of flats (there's a recommendation that a torch and batteries should be provided and the council approached about the lighting- needless to say no one's ever offered a torch :crazy: )

Bit disappointed, but not really surprised to see that the slip hazards and dogs to be aware of document that I produced before Xmas (someone on another duty had a bad fall and manager asked for everyone to do this) hasn't been added.

So, at least I've now laid hands and eyes on the fabled walk log, but are there any guidelines or stipulations concerning how often they should be updated? Or what information should be contained?From what I saw it just looks like an exercise in having the bare minimum in place to cover asses and not really of any practical worth whatsoever.

If, God forbid, I was to be attacked by one of the dogs or someone covering my duty on my day off slipped and fell on one of the hazards I identified and it wasn't in the walk log what, if any, would the repercussions be for RM? I'm not planning on staging a claim or anything, just really curious as to how seriously these walk logs are taken in other DO's?
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
magicw
Posts: 111
Joined: 11 May 2013, 14:50
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by magicw »

JKSmudge wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:Why still the obsession with breaks, or rather not having them.
You've all had your revisions you all have on paper your duty structures why is it so hard.
Or is it a case of I'll do what I want.
Can I ask what you mean by this ? as I cannot be the only one who doesn't have a clue what you are talking about.

Should be a 318 (Yellow sheet) on your frame , will detail how much time ( if any ) you spend on IP or double prep and on most full time duties will show a 20 minute indoor break period, delivery timings and a 20 minute on delivery break. Cannot be dictated were you take the breaks ( except not on the shop floor ).

Most offices / managers will usually allow you to finish 40 minutes early if you take no breaks, but this is not an official agreement and some managers can play the C=nt with it on a Saturday especially if they ve not managed to get rid of lapsing.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Get this

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

There is no written down specification as far as I am aware of the frequency of updating the walk logs, but it is a simple case of the manager updating the WRAP for the duty, it then spits out a new walk log.

As to RM culpability on a colleague being bitten, or injured by a reported H&S issue, they would be deep in what the dog invariably produces, and any manager found criminally liable could be answering a lot of questions coming from someone wearing a wig. It would also increase any payment if the theoretical colleague decided to seek compensation.

Basically, its a big deal and the Safety/H&S Rep should be all over it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by crimson king »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:There is no written down specification as far as I am aware of the frequency of updating the walk logs, but it is a simple case of the manager updating the WRAP for the duty, it then spits out a new walk log.

As to RM culpability on a colleague being bitten, or injured by a reported H&S issue, they would be deep in what the dog invariably produces, and any manager found criminally liable could be answering a lot of questions coming from someone wearing a wig. It would also increase any payment if the theoretical colleague decided to seek compensation.

Basically, its a big deal and the Safety/H&S Rep should be all over it.
Thanks, TBT.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Get this

Post by LaggyBand »

No 318s here either. No walk logs. You are told where dogs are by the guy next to you on IPS if he remembers. If the guy in the know is off, you have to guess :thumbup