ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Why should I say yes??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Why should I say yes??

Post by Martin Walsh »

LouBarlow wrote:What Royal Mail originally wanted before negotiations, is largely irrelevant as it is an obvious tactic before entering any period of deliberations, to put up 'pie in the sky' ideas that you have no intention of actually implementing, which you can cast aside during talks, to appear to be conforming. You would have thought senior union negotiators would have understood that.
So a company sets up to their board the changes they want , they lose the confidence of their workforce by communicating their strategy , than have front line managers deliver the message , they than cause an industrial action ballot and than a call for strike , loads of companies including the big one cancels orders and than they go to court to stop the action and this was all a disguise to what they really wanted ?

You really need to rethink your argument because it is so wrong. By all means opppse the agreement but do so on the basis of facts not what you believe as it is not creditable as I know what the union’s announcement of a 48 strike caused. You really think Royal Mail had put up a wish list they wanted to change ?

Then you really underestimate how much Royal Mail have been working on their strategy and in particular the fact if they cancellled all flights they would save 1.2 million per flight route.
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Why should I say yes??

Post by gary1975 »

dingo wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:What Royal Mail originally wanted before negotiations, is largely irrelevant as it is an obvious tactic before entering any period of deliberations, to put up 'pie in the sky' ideas that you have no intention of actually implementing, which you can cast aside during talks, to appear to be conforming. You would have thought senior union negotiators would have understood that.
So a company sets up to their board the changes they want , they lose the confidence of their workforce by communicating their strategy , than have front line managers deliver the message , they than cause an industrial action ballot and than a call for strike , loads of companies including the big one cancels orders and than they go to court to stop the action and this was all a disguise to what they really wanted ?

You really need to rethink your argument because it is so wrong. By all means opppse the agreement but do so on the basis of facts not what you believe as it is not creditable as I know what the union’s announcement of a 48 strike caused. You really think Royal Mail had put up a wish list they wanted to change ?

Then you really underestimate how much Royal Mail have been working on their strategy and in particular the fact if they cancellled all flights they would save 1.2 million per flight route.
Is the mediation agreement still in place as per the last agreement? Can we still be obstructed from taking strike action in the future should we be asked for ballot support?
Gummage
Posts: 72
Joined: 02 Oct 2017, 15:37
Gender: Male

Why should I say yes??

Post by Gummage »

I will do whatever my Union Rep tells me to do.....
Last edited by Gummage on 12 Feb 2018, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Izzy wizzy, let's get busy!
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Why should I say yes??

Post by LouBarlow »

dingo wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:What Royal Mail originally wanted before negotiations, is largely irrelevant as it is an obvious tactic before entering any period of deliberations, to put up 'pie in the sky' ideas that you have no intention of actually implementing, which you can cast aside during talks, to appear to be conforming. You would have thought senior union negotiators would have understood that.
So a company sets up to their board the changes they want , they lose the confidence of their workforce by communicating their strategy , than have front line managers deliver the message , they than cause an industrial action ballot and than a call for strike , loads of companies including the big one cancels orders and than they go to court to stop the action and this was all a disguise to what they really wanted ?
The only place I even read about Royal Mail's so called grand plan, is on here, so you are simply wrong about that having any impact on the workforce. The union's lack of doing anything to eliminate wide-spread bullying in offices is far more damaging to the confidence of said workforce than any whacky proposal RM could dream up.
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Why should I say yes??

Post by Martin Walsh »

Lou so in section 3 the union is having an independent team go into offices and speak to members of staff over complaints of bullying and trying to change the culture and that is not doing anything.

Additionally there will be a full review of part time hours. Equally we can now use PDA actuals to determine if an individual is being forced to work beyond their time for no remuneration.

And you say nothing is being done ?
LouBarlow
Posts: 4709
Joined: 15 Oct 2007, 18:56

Why should I say yes??

Post by LouBarlow »

Is that happening now then or another proposal for the future? You only have to read on here how prevalent and deeply ingrained the bullying is, yet union representation at a higher level aren't even aware of it, it seems.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Why should I say yes??

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Sorry but I think its a mistake to push to members what the Union have gained or stopped Royal Mail introducing.

What most want to know is how this will affect their daily lives and how it will improve their work experience. That is addressed in the agreement to some degree and the CWU should be putting meat on the bones.

I am undecided at the moment, as I think most are. Let the Union tell me how this is a good deal for me, not how it would have been worse and you might just tip me into a definite Yes to accept.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Neverwasadoor
Posts: 127
Joined: 04 May 2017, 20:33
Gender: Male

Why should I say yes??

Post by Neverwasadoor »

I've only done just over 20 years and I am really hoping this deal is explained to us properly.
What I don't like with previous deals is that they can be interpreted in different ways.
A deal should be solid and done with national agreements, none of this local level rubbish as some units don't have the representation they need.
Just my two bobs worth.
Chitchat
Posts: 366
Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:18
Gender: Male

Why should I say yes??

Post by Chitchat »

dingo wrote:
LouBarlow wrote:What Royal Mail originally wanted before negotiations, is largely irrelevant as it is an obvious tactic before entering any period of deliberations, to put up 'pie in the sky' ideas that you have no intention of actually implementing, which you can cast aside during talks, to appear to be conforming. You would have thought senior union negotiators would have understood that.
So a company sets up to their board the changes they want , they lose the confidence of their workforce by communicating their strategy , than have front line managers deliver the message , they than cause an industrial action ballot and than a call for strike , loads of companies including the big one cancels orders and than they go to court to stop the action and this was all a disguise to what they really wanted ?

You really need to rethink your argument because it is so wrong. By all means opppse the agreement but do so on the basis of facts not what you believe as it is not creditable as I know what the union’s announcement of a 48 strike caused. You really think Royal Mail had put up a wish list they wanted to change ?

Then you really underestimate how much Royal Mail have been working on their strategy and in particular the fact if they cancellled all flights they would save 1.2 million per flight route.
For me I can't except ifs/maybes when it comes to my retirement. How can I vote yes when I don't know details about the most important aspect of the agreement for me?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Why should I say yes??

Post by fishtank »

What Royal Mail did or didn't want is irrelevant, nobody comes to the table with their bottom line , if you do how can you negotiate?

What is important is that we got what we needed. Not what we wanted because nobody gets everything they want but what we actually needed to protect pay, terms and conditions and pensions and I don't think we did. I don't think we've protected anything, I think we've just kicked the can a little further down the road on some issues and left others dependant on the strength of local members.

I personally don't think this CDC pension scheme will see the light of day. I think setting up a scheme like this in a business that's downsizing, supposedly actively considering franchising and reducing average contract length would be very dangerous for the ex DB members involved. It would seem to me that the union was so fixated with ticking the "one pension for all" box that they've jumped at the first bone royal mail have thrown.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Why should I say yes??

Post by Ozzvaldo »

dingo wrote:Lou so in section 3 the union is having an independent team go into offices and speak to members of staff over complaints of bullying and trying to change the culture and that is not doing anything.

Additionally there will be a full review of part time hours. Equally we can now use PDA actuals to determine if an individual is being forced to work beyond their time for no remuneration.

And you say nothing is being done ?
Last year we had a HR employee and an area CWU rep come to our office and jointly interview EVERY member of staff due to the appalling record of grievances filed by the workforce over B&H by the managers and the final report was scathing in its condemnation of the culture in my office. Our DOM was summoned for a bollocking by the area manager and a raft of changes was ordered to be implemented.

We're still waiting for the bastards' intimidation to cease months later. Will section 3 of the agreement be any different to this?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3724
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Why should I say yes??

Post by yellowbelly »

Ozzvaldo wrote:
dingo wrote:Lou so in section 3 the union is having an independent team go into offices and speak to members of staff over complaints of bullying and trying to change the culture and that is not doing anything.

Additionally there will be a full review of part time hours. Equally we can now use PDA actuals to determine if an individual is being forced to work beyond their time for no remuneration.

And you say nothing is being done ?
Last year we had a HR employee and an area CWU rep come to our office and jointly interview EVERY member of staff due to the appalling record of grievances filed by the workforce over B&H by the managers and the final report was scathing in its condemnation of the culture in my office. Our DOM was summoned for a bollocking by the area manager and a raft of changes was ordered to be implemented.

We're still waiting for the bastards' intimidation to cease months later. Will section 3 of the agreement be any different to this?
Section 3 says that it was an 'aspiration' for cultural change in previous agreement(s) but only now will an evaluation take place? - and after an unspecified
time period to 'embed the new agreement'? 'Detail and scope.....subject to further discussion' That is the wording from paragraph 3.
Again no definitives in the phraseology of this paragraph!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Why should I say yes??

Post by fishtank »

There is an unwritten structure to management bullying in Royal Mail and it isn't accidental.

Usually the line manager does the bullying under direction from the delivery office manager, this gives the Dom a level of deniability in return for protection. When a grievance goes in against the line manager it goes to guess who, the delivery office manager who will either bullshit you, bury it for months or turn the whole thing around and accuse you of a bad faith complaint.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Why should I say yes??

Post by General Mannerheim »

dingo wrote:Lou so in section 3 the union is having an independent team go into offices and speak to members of staff over complaints of bullying and trying to change the culture and that is not doing anything.

Additionally there will be a full review of part time hours. Equally we can now use PDA actuals to determine if an individual is being forced to work beyond their time for no remuneration.

And you say nothing is being done ?
So this `independent` team.
Who pays for it? :hmmmm :cuppa
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
mattyda1
Posts: 6
Joined: 21 Feb 2011, 16:53
Gender: Male

Why should I say yes??

Post by mattyda1 »

I don't want a shorter working week, do people really think RM will expect us to do less work for that No, unrealistic staffing levels is still being pushed in by area manangement.
I don't want to take a pay cut thankyou CWU!