ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
Its an undecided awaiting for more information - from me.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3724
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
JKSmudge wrote:I will vote 'No' because;
3. PT - still not getting FT holiday pay even though some of us work a lot more than our contracted PT hours.
4. ( and this is the clincher for me ) - we were promised 1 pension for all, yet still the union are happy for recent and new-starters to spend a minimum of 5 years on the inferior scheme with much lower company contributions compared to the 'old guard'. Union seems to think this fine ! Why do we get 10% contributions, yet the people fortunate enough to have been in the DB scheme get 15.6% ?
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges ‘Yes’ vote over Royal Mail deal
Yeah. A finish time that apparently the CWU & RM like to write on paper but take no notice of and never act on.worktotime wrote:yes theres no mention of unmanageable workloads , b&h etc , but theres one thing we have still got A FINISH TIME, I wonder if Terry etc will be having a live q&a to answer the members questions on this before any ballot .
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges ‘Yes’ vote over Royal Mail deal
Its good for RM as a business. The share price has gone up from 360p to 508p in a relatively short period and continues to rise almost vertically. It doesn't look very rosy for anyone on the coalface though.lee trigger wrote:sorry but it's a no vote from me.to many issues linked to trial this and that. get past all the sensational headlines and there are a lot of grey areas. the shorter working week Is linked to other trials of delivery methods etc.why the silence on which delivery office's will be working later? how can you vote on something when your not going to be told what time you are going to finish work?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
General Mannerheim
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
- Gender: Male
- Location: Stalag 17
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
It's a big fat no from me!
The data capture thing is the first one to put me off. As a rep I just know that they will find some way to use it as a stick to beat the members with regarding conduct issues despite it saying it won't in the agreement(unless they ask HR WTF?)
The pension is the second thing putting me off, sounds dodgy as f**k and still shafting new members and I've not decided yet whether it's actually legal as I believe the firefighters and judges had something similar with their pensions and went to EAT with.
Next up is the fact that they are looking at attendance which I can only assume will be to the detriment of the members and the fact that they are working towards getting rid of the MTSF and don't seem to be putting much of a fight over.
Fourthly, Bullying has not been addressed. Using vague terms like an `aspiration`of cultrual change does not mean that anything firmly has been put in place and that they claim will be independantly evaluated (by who? RM, CWU, both? ACAS? Ste the cleaner?) does also not instill confidence in me or my members, neither does the fact that no time scale has been set ,simply putting will be evaluated following a period of time(how long is that then a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year) whilst the agreement is embed is a charter for them to carry on with the bullyboy tatics.
It's all too vague and full of holes and ways that mangement can put there own interpretation on things(like normal) that I just know is going to keep me busy defending my fellow workmates over.
Shorter working week, any time less at work is better for me these days but regarding workload and the members I can see problems with it.
It's basically trying to polish a turd.
The data capture thing is the first one to put me off. As a rep I just know that they will find some way to use it as a stick to beat the members with regarding conduct issues despite it saying it won't in the agreement(unless they ask HR WTF?)
The pension is the second thing putting me off, sounds dodgy as f**k and still shafting new members and I've not decided yet whether it's actually legal as I believe the firefighters and judges had something similar with their pensions and went to EAT with.
Next up is the fact that they are looking at attendance which I can only assume will be to the detriment of the members and the fact that they are working towards getting rid of the MTSF and don't seem to be putting much of a fight over.
Fourthly, Bullying has not been addressed. Using vague terms like an `aspiration`of cultrual change does not mean that anything firmly has been put in place and that they claim will be independantly evaluated (by who? RM, CWU, both? ACAS? Ste the cleaner?) does also not instill confidence in me or my members, neither does the fact that no time scale has been set ,simply putting will be evaluated following a period of time(how long is that then a month, 3 months, 6 months, a year) whilst the agreement is embed is a charter for them to carry on with the bullyboy tatics.
It's all too vague and full of holes and ways that mangement can put there own interpretation on things(like normal) that I just know is going to keep me busy defending my fellow workmates over.
Shorter working week, any time less at work is better for me these days but regarding workload and the members I can see problems with it.
It's basically trying to polish a turd.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
Well it will be a yes vote although delivery staff are the most numerous and will certainly feel the brunt of this agreement and theoretically could have the telling vote in refusing the deal, that won't happen. CWU exec urges YES vote over RM deal - of course, as they always do, because by and large they won't be affected in the slightest by this agreement. Fifty Shades of Grey would be an appropriate title for this agreement.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges ‘Yes’ vote over Royal Mail deal
Having read your reply , I checked my original post nowhere did I state I was struggling ,I merely opined that it may be the case in the future however many years hence. In times gone by the average age that a postman died after retirement was , I am informed 67. I don't mind been quoted ,but if you are going to do so, do it accurately. Thank you.dazer0070 wrote:Chitchat wrote:I agree, in a very phyiscal job the employer should understand its staff cant keep working into their late sixties, its just not viable. And a genuine solution should of been found where by people can retire at a younger age.rubberbond wrote:Because it's a hard physically demanding job and when I retire I want to enjoy time with my wife and not spend it unable to do anything because I'm physically wrecked ,due to unmanageable workloads and having to take bucket loads of painkillers. . There is no,or virtually no way of winding down in this job as you get older, it's not like it used to be with the seniority rule, where you went on to a less brutal rural delivery as you approached retirement, now delivery methods has made it much worse. That's why.dazer0070 wrote:'From 2019, the State Pension age will increase for both men and women to reach 66 by October 2020. The Government is planning further increases, which will raise the State Pension age from 66 to 67 between 2026 and 2028'
Why should we be any different?
If you're struggling to the extent you say, why on earth are you putting your body through it? Get a job stacking shelves and ease into retirement. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to stay are they. I've been in the job 30 yrs and have my off days but think of the physical side as being better than sitting around all day
-
Sugar
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 08 Jul 2007, 07:57
- Gender: Female
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
No from me.
There seems to be too many strings attached to the pay rise and SWW. Future pay rises should not be subjected to trials, trials and more sodding trials which will then get implemented whether or not they are actually fit for purpose.
Data capture I can see getting ignored if someone is completing but not if someone is cutting off. I know it states otherwise in the agreement but lets face facts when have any of us actually seen a DIM follow an agreement?
There seems to be too many strings attached to the pay rise and SWW. Future pay rises should not be subjected to trials, trials and more sodding trials which will then get implemented whether or not they are actually fit for purpose.
Data capture I can see getting ignored if someone is completing but not if someone is cutting off. I know it states otherwise in the agreement but lets face facts when have any of us actually seen a DIM follow an agreement?
-
dazer0070
- Posts: 120
- Joined: 02 Feb 2014, 18:13
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges ‘Yes’ vote over Royal Mail deal
I stand corrected in misquoting you.rubberbond wrote:Having read your reply , I checked my original post nowhere did I state I was struggling ,I merely opined that it may be the case in the future however many years hence. In times gone by the average age that a postman died after retirement was , I am informed 67. I don't mind been quoted ,but if you are going to do so, do it accurately. Thank you.dazer0070 wrote:Chitchat wrote:I agree, in a very phyiscal job the employer should understand its staff cant keep working into their late sixties, its just not viable. And a genuine solution should of been found where by people can retire at a younger age.rubberbond wrote:Because it's a hard physically demanding job and when I retire I want to enjoy time with my wife and not spend it unable to do anything because I'm physically wrecked ,due to unmanageable workloads and having to take bucket loads of painkillers. . There is no,or virtually no way of winding down in this job as you get older, it's not like it used to be with the seniority rule, where you went on to a less brutal rural delivery as you approached retirement, now delivery methods has made it much worse. That's why.dazer0070 wrote:'From 2019, the State Pension age will increase for both men and women to reach 66 by October 2020. The Government is planning further increases, which will raise the State Pension age from 66 to 67 between 2026 and 2028'
Why should we be any different?
If you're struggling to the extent you say, why on earth are you putting your body through it? Get a job stacking shelves and ease into retirement. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to stay are they. I've been in the job 30 yrs and have my off days but think of the physical side as being better than sitting around all day
However, as I said previously, nobody is stopping you or any of us from leaving are they. I've had many a colleague leave, only to think the grass is greener out there and many have the realisation that it is not.
-
dodger71
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 05 Sep 2007, 17:36
- Gender: Female
- Location: right here right now
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
k979aaa wrote:You don't need to be a rep but if you could organise this kind of resistance you should be anyway good luck don't think anyone would say this is the greatest deal I have big objections to it for starters. 1 PAY is an Ok deal if the implementations of the Shorter Working Week are enforced 2 SSW as above but last time we had a reduction it took ages and some were on 41.5 some on 40 and others on 39 hours crazy but true. 3 Pensions well this is a big disappointment not just for me but for all of us and a bigger disappointment the younger you are, to me it is not a sustainable scheme in the long run because of staff turnover! 4 The pipeline RM needs to compete with DPD TNT DHL plus others so LAT's this will push back the whole system hence finish times while for some this is not a problem for others it is a major problem the job has changed over the course of time but this is a big change cannot say how bad this is it is and individual concern but could mean growth if it is done right! So is it a deal worth recommending NO because the fifth pillar was never in the foundations it was neglected not thought of but this pillar would have made this deal a ground breaker but nobody listens to the workers or membership this pillar would be called Dignity and Respect in the workplace, It would encompass all Bullying Harassment non payment of wages and all grievances that can never again be swept under the carpet these negotiations should have this as the backbone of the agreement as such it was never mentioned and as such I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS AGREEMENT VOTE NO!aiden01 wrote:Well if your a rep convince the members in your office to vote NO.crazyclacy wrote:Nuts
Hopefully we can get a no vote,
In the new agreement still same over time rate.
This company runs on over time that should have been a major point in talks.
For new overtime pay rates
totally agree i'm voting no....no1 for me is bullying and harassment on a daily basis with impossible workloads
I FEEL LIKE A BITCH FOR AC AND AL
-
Chitchat
- Posts: 366
- Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:18
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges ‘Yes’ vote over Royal Mail deal
So rather than try to make things better, your suggestion is just leave. Glad your not in charge of the uniondazer0070 wrote:I stand corrected in misquoting you.rubberbond wrote:Having read your reply , I checked my original post nowhere did I state I was struggling ,I merely opined that it may be the case in the future however many years hence. In times gone by the average age that a postman died after retirement was , I am informed 67. I don't mind been quoted ,but if you are going to do so, do it accurately. Thank you.dazer0070 wrote:Chitchat wrote:I agree, in a very phyiscal job the employer should understand its staff cant keep working into their late sixties, its just not viable. And a genuine solution should of been found where by people can retire at a younger age.rubberbond wrote:Because it's a hard physically demanding job and when I retire I want to enjoy time with my wife and not spend it unable to do anything because I'm physically wrecked ,due to unmanageable workloads and having to take bucket loads of painkillers. . There is no,or virtually no way of winding down in this job as you get older, it's not like it used to be with the seniority rule, where you went on to a less brutal rural delivery as you approached retirement, now delivery methods has made it much worse. That's why.dazer0070 wrote:'From 2019, the State Pension age will increase for both men and women to reach 66 by October 2020. The Government is planning further increases, which will raise the State Pension age from 66 to 67 between 2026 and 2028'
Why should we be any different?
If you're struggling to the extent you say, why on earth are you putting your body through it? Get a job stacking shelves and ease into retirement. Nobody's holding a gun to your head to stay are they. I've been in the job 30 yrs and have my off days but think of the physical side as being better than sitting around all day
However, as I said previously, nobody is stopping you or any of us from leaving are they. I've had many a colleague leave, only to think the grass is greener out there and many have the realisation that it is not.
This is not about seeking greener grass, its about working your whole life and just wanting some golden years where you can enjoy life. Maybe see some of the world or do those things you promised your self.
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges ‘Yes’ vote over Royal Mail deal
SNAP same here I can't see many of us still being able to walk 6 hrs a day well into or sixties , the new pension plan has too many holes , ifs , buts & maybes in it , and they want to make it NRA67 ....... It's definitely a NO vote from me !crazyclacy wrote:Big no vote for me NRA 67 There ripping it .....
-
borders
- Posts: 1304
- Joined: 11 Sep 2007, 09:10
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
Its Simple really , The Union are Managing a Decline in our Terms and Conditions , which was always going to happen after Privatisation . Its far from being a Good Deal but maybe the best we could hope for in the Present Climate ?
"why should it just be the bankers, politicians and the idle rich who get all the best things ? we demand a standard of living for our members that enables them to share in the fine wines and times that the likes of Cameron and his Eton buddies take for granted " - the late great Bob Crow RIP.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
During negotiations Terry kept mentioning that 'talks could break down at any moment' and one wonders if RM HQ gave the Union the impression that they begrudged giving us workers a pay rise or a half decent pension!! Yeah Right. Considering that the company appeared hellbent on modernising the Royal Mail and changing the pipeline many things have been overlooked simply because the CWU were only concerned about their 4 precious pillars.
Firstly, the SWW and longer outdoor span. Imagine starting at 7 or 8am and then doing 8 or 9 loops, plus a bit more lapse on top. The fact that Royal Mail seem to lapse at the drop of a hat and at short notice just makes the whole thing worse. It creates more tension and problems with some lazy managers who still believe that their role should not be on delivery. Whether it is or not - a radical change in the culture of management will not happen overnight. The CWU had a golden opportunity to update the overrunning procedure and put the onus on Royal Mail management to go round all its staff and ask them if they will be doing overtime - and whether staff were willing to do it. At the moment managers just appear to expect its staff to work past their time if its busy and this is not acceptable. Its one of the key areas of concern amongst CWU members that just got overlooked as usual. Maybe if overtime was double time or something, that could stop it. Heck, we might even see a few more posties using trolleys and taking breaks if this was the case.
Data Capture worries me. Its not just the fact that managers can use it to track us whilst we are out on delivery but when we scan 2D barcodes and post parcels and then managers come up to us later when the customer says that they haven't received the item. So in theory, someone who scans everything is liable to receive more potential customer complaints than someone who doesn't scan those 2Ds at all. Doesn't seem right does it??
Starting later puts more pressure on us getting rid of Royal Mail's Special Deliveries. It will mean driving round and doing those Specials first which means there is less time walking round doing loops - but Royal Mail are after bigger outdoor deliveries. And with tracked items on the increase along with all those large parcels that really should be delivered by parcel force, may compound the duties further.
I don't understand the new pension scenario but I don't believe the Royal Mail baloney either when it says that the pension would become unaffordable by 2018. Just seems convenient that other companies have got rid of their pension schemes that Royal Mail decide to follow suit. In short, we should just have said NO.
Firstly, the SWW and longer outdoor span. Imagine starting at 7 or 8am and then doing 8 or 9 loops, plus a bit more lapse on top. The fact that Royal Mail seem to lapse at the drop of a hat and at short notice just makes the whole thing worse. It creates more tension and problems with some lazy managers who still believe that their role should not be on delivery. Whether it is or not - a radical change in the culture of management will not happen overnight. The CWU had a golden opportunity to update the overrunning procedure and put the onus on Royal Mail management to go round all its staff and ask them if they will be doing overtime - and whether staff were willing to do it. At the moment managers just appear to expect its staff to work past their time if its busy and this is not acceptable. Its one of the key areas of concern amongst CWU members that just got overlooked as usual. Maybe if overtime was double time or something, that could stop it. Heck, we might even see a few more posties using trolleys and taking breaks if this was the case.
Data Capture worries me. Its not just the fact that managers can use it to track us whilst we are out on delivery but when we scan 2D barcodes and post parcels and then managers come up to us later when the customer says that they haven't received the item. So in theory, someone who scans everything is liable to receive more potential customer complaints than someone who doesn't scan those 2Ds at all. Doesn't seem right does it??
Starting later puts more pressure on us getting rid of Royal Mail's Special Deliveries. It will mean driving round and doing those Specials first which means there is less time walking round doing loops - but Royal Mail are after bigger outdoor deliveries. And with tracked items on the increase along with all those large parcels that really should be delivered by parcel force, may compound the duties further.
I don't understand the new pension scenario but I don't believe the Royal Mail baloney either when it says that the pension would become unaffordable by 2018. Just seems convenient that other companies have got rid of their pension schemes that Royal Mail decide to follow suit. In short, we should just have said NO.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
CWU exec urges Yes vote over Royal Mail deal
I agree with this post but nothing will ever change till the bonus culture is eradicated from management at all levels of this morally corrupt organisation!postslippete wrote:During negotiations Terry kept mentioning that 'talks could break down at any moment' and one wonders if RM HQ gave the Union the impression that they begrudged giving us workers a pay rise or a half decent pension!! Yeah Right. Considering that the company appeared hellbent on modernising the Royal Mail and changing the pipeline many things have been overlooked simply because the CWU were only concerned about their 4 precious pillars.
Firstly, the SWW and longer outdoor span. Imagine starting at 7 or 8am and then doing 8 or 9 loops, plus a bit more lapse on top. The fact that Royal Mail seem to lapse at the drop of a hat and at short notice just makes the whole thing worse. It creates more tension and problems with some lazy managers who still believe that their role should not be on delivery. Whether it is or not - a radical change in the culture of management will not happen overnight. The CWU had a golden opportunity to update the overrunning procedure and put the onus on Royal Mail management to go round all its staff and ask them if they will be doing overtime - and whether staff were willing to do it. At the moment managers just appear to expect its staff to work past their time if its busy and this is not acceptable. Its one of the key areas of concern amongst CWU members that just got overlooked as usual. Maybe if overtime was double time or something, that could stop it. Heck, we might even see a few more posties using trolleys and taking breaks if this was the case.
Data Capture worries me. Its not just the fact that managers can use it to track us whilst we are out on delivery but when we scan 2D barcodes and post parcels and then managers come up to us later when the customer says that they haven't received the item. So in theory, someone who scans everything is liable to receive more potential customer complaints than someone who doesn't scan those 2Ds at all. Doesn't seem right does it??
Starting later puts more pressure on us getting rid of Royal Mail's Special Deliveries. It will mean driving round and doing those Specials first which means there is less time walking round doing loops - but Royal Mail are after bigger outdoor deliveries. And with tracked items on the increase along with all those large parcels that really should be delivered by parcel force, may compound the duties further.
I don't understand the new pension scenario but I don't believe the Royal Mail baloney either when it says that the pension would become unaffordable by 2018. Just seems convenient that other companies have got rid of their pension schemes that Royal Mail decide to follow suit. In short, we should just have said NO.