ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Can I refuse to do a round?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rlb123
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Rlb123 »

gone postal wrote:Remember the max time limit to leave unattended is 10minutes. So your going to have much smaller loops than your used to on the CDV's duty.
Ok, thanks
Rlb123
Posts: 9
Joined: 18 Jan 2018, 17:20
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Rlb123 »

kingeric wrote:
greengiant wrote:
Rlb123 wrote:
banner wrote:2 months? I was sent on my own after 3 days.
Iv been on my own lots of times just never with a htc
A couple of tips from when I went out on a HCT round not long after starting.

Number your bundles of mail, and load the trolley so that the first bundles & packets are at the top, and the last bundles and packets are at the bottom. A bit of time spent organising the trolley will save time on the street, as you won't need to rummage around the trolley to find the next bundle!

Depending on amount of mail / packets, you could try putting the mail in one half of trolley, packets in the other half, so that the stuff you need first is at the top.

At least you won't have any oversize packets to do! :dance
As well as having Google maps handy this is the best advice you will get regarding a hct walk.
Thanks :thumbup
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by crazyshrew »

To be honest there really shouldn't be too much of an issue. Most hct duties are simply a case of find the first house and follow it from there.
However if you really feel that you can't do it inform the manager that you havn't had the neccessary trying on that piece of equipment.
there are health and safety as well as security considerations. In the unlikely event something goes wrong, your manager will probably try to blame you, but that buck can be passed back as there aren't any records of you having the appropriate training
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by salomon2 »

You will be fine honestly, but if you're really worried take a drive round the route. Make sure your phone is fully charged so you can google map if you get lost. Have someone's phone number who's done the round just in case. Be organised loading the truck and it will take you where you need to go. Ask the packet driver to take any specials you don't think you'll get to and write down a rough route guide of the street names but you won't need it. I've taken the walk log with me on one round I thought I would need but didn't look once. Good luck you'll surprise yourself.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Celgar »

As a general rule no you can't refuse to do a walk. You can't even refuse to be sent to do a walk at another DO although it is the DOMs responsibility to arrange transport to and from the other office. I have only refused to do a walk once but that was based on me agreeing to work my day off on overtime then to help someone else out and without even asking me they presumed I would do a different walk. They lucked out and I said no and went home instead.
The manager should not have laughed at you. I would personally point out to him/her that is bad practise on their part. They should apologise for being rude.
In our DO you would have got a days training to point out the 'round the back of the building' type addresses that can be prevalent on town walks/high streets. But nowadays, and especially as most offices have unfilled staff vacancies, you will more likely get a 'it starts there's type comment and if you are lucky a photocopied map. As others have pointed out though HCT/town walks are usually pretty straight forward. Just bring back the mail for any addresses you are not really sure about rather than guessing. There will likely be others beside the regular postie in your DO who know the walk and can answer any questions you have.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Preparation is the key!!! It takes me ages to get out if I'm on a HCT duty but when I'm out it flows nicely. I number all my bundles and put a red card in front of the mail if I've got a packet to remind me. I put packets at the back of each bundle. Like someone has previously said, fill your HCT working backwards so you start from the beginning. Once you've done it a few times you might decide to do it a different way and not work from the frame. I like HCT duties as you can take your time and you're not having to rush back to the van in case your partner is waiting for you.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by yellowbelly »

In addition to all the tips above, before you start identify the HCT and check that you've got all the keys for the locks
and that they all work or you won't be able to leave it unattended anywhere! Check that the brakes work.

In case there isn't a lock provided (or there is one but it's locked to the HCT and no key!!) to lock the HCT to a lamp
post or other permanent street fitting I always carry my own bike lock too.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

yellowbelly wrote:In addition to all the tips above, before you start identify the HCT and check that you've got all the keys for the locks
and that they all work or you won't be able to leave it unattended anywhere! Check that the brakes work.

In case there isn't a lock provided (or there is one but it's locked to the HCT and no key!!) to lock the HCT to a lamp
post or other permanent street fitting I always carry my own bike lock too.
Good tip YB! How are you by the way? :wink:

I went to tie up my HCT the other day at my first port of call and the lock was f****d so I had to walk back to the office to get another.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by Seymour Buts »

How'd you get on?

I hate hct's. Can't get used to the limited space, others swear by them though. No oversized either which is a bonus.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by sussexlad »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
check out the duty on Google earth to familiarise yourself and you should be ok.
This is the best advice there is and it's what i always tell new starters. Just spend 20 mins on Google street view and have a tour of the delivery, that way you know what your facing.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by CPTNemoUK »

sussexlad wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
check out the duty on Google earth to familiarise yourself and you should be ok.
This is the best advice there is and it's what i always tell new starters. Just spend 20 mins on Google street view and have a tour of the delivery, that way you know what your facing.
Google maps is your best friend on delivery. Has gotten me out of many situations in the past :thumbup
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Can I refuse to do a round?

Post by bustedflush »

CPTNemoUK wrote:
sussexlad wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
check out the duty on Google earth to familiarise yourself and you should be ok.
This is the best advice there is and it's what i always tell new starters. Just spend 20 mins on Google street view and have a tour of the delivery, that way you know what your facing.
Google maps is your best friend on delivery. Has gotten me out of many situations in the past :thumbup

No, a runner is your best friend on delivery. :Very Happy