ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How many of you would take VR?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by loverman shabba »

fishtank wrote:
loverman shabba wrote:30 more years at royal mail would more than likely cripple most people into retirement
I thought that 30 years ago.
It's a physically tiring job, it always has been but I genuinely feel less tired now than I did in the days when we were lugging overweight bags full of cable mags and sky mags, phone and gas bills. I've looked after myself and I'm relatively fit , I've had issues with my knees but. not for 4 or 5 years. I think that's the key, look after yourself, don't do too much overtime and rest on your rest days.
30 years ago you didnt do deliveries as long as we do now. when i started you would be on delivery for say 2 and a half hours. now some deliveries are double that
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

How many of you would take VR?

Post by twoloops »

Early retirement ain't all its cracked up to be, I was made redundant after 32 in engineering @ 50 & left with a 145k pay off & a pension 3 times more than I now earn at RM, I could not even get a job collecting jumble for the PDSA, think before you jump ship the grass ain't always greener, I'm now happy as Larry & thank the RM for giving me the opportunity to work for them I love the job, no gaffers checking on you every 5 minutes & left to your own devices.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by rehabron »

Gimme Gimme Gimme a letter from RM
chuckychucks
Posts: 97
Joined: 18 Jul 2009, 15:58
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by chuckychucks »

thewackymonkey wrote:Well i would take it 200%!!!
I am celebrating this year, cause i'm gonna be 53 and mortgage free thats quite an achievement don't you see. So please leave your name and number and ill get back to you A.S.A.P. Toot Toot Beep Beep!!!!!! :nana :dance

I'm in my mid 40's ..25 years in , struggling with rheumatoid arthritis and paid my mortgage off a few years ago but i'm smart enough to know that i still need my job, especially as well paid as this one is, being unskilled.

The thing that gets me down and boils my piss is the complete lack of respect that staff have to endure by management on a daily basis, too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by fishtank »

loverman shabba wrote:30 years ago you didnt do deliveries as long as we do now. when i started you would be on delivery for say 2 and a half hours. now some deliveries are double that
When I started my delivery was around 3 hrs (apart from Tuesday and Saturday) but it was far more physically intense.
We never had bikes and everything went on your back, it was a non-stop 3 hours with very little stopping for attendance calls and no vans, it was also 6 days a week.

Now my delivery is 4 hrs maybe 4.30 hrs on a bad day but if you take large parcels, box collection and moving the van out of that I'm probably actually walking the streets for maybe 3.15 hrs....with about a quarter of the weight on my back or none if I fancy using the trolley and not only am I working 39 hrs rather than the 42 hrs on my original contract, I have twice as many rest days in a week.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
hans solo
Posts: 3291
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by hans solo »

be gone tmrrw 30 yrs in and 53 yrs old f**k them
crabstoes
Posts: 19
Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by crabstoes »

Yep after 26 years I would gladly leave. Too many new starts think it's money for nothing and others will do the work. Lazy fekkers
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

How many of you would take VR?

Post by clashcityrocker »

The last time we had VRs on offer at our place the last person to get one was number 50 on the seniority list.
There were about 12 who were "definitely" going to take it who are still there ....... moaning.
Talk is cheap.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

How many of you would take VR?

Post by Judgee »

Fifteen years in I'd take VR if it was enough to let me spend a year retraining to do something else! :hmmmm
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by 97gaz »

b
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
MRSCOOP
Posts: 16
Joined: 08 Oct 2015, 18:10
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by MRSCOOP »

25 years in deliveries,in early 40s,i would take VR without a moments thought,I'm struggling now,need painkillers and Deep Heat to get through each day,can't imagine what my health will be like in another 15/20 years the way the jobs going,please pay me off asap :nana
Walk in the Rain and Walk in the Sun....
srfkdr
Posts: 19
Joined: 04 May 2007, 17:49

How many of you would take VR?

Post by srfkdr »

deleted
Last edited by srfkdr on 29 Jan 2018, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
rob smith
Posts: 10
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 16:31
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by rob smith »

58 with only 10 years seniority i would bite there hand off,decent pension from previous employer and a lump sum from royal mail dc pension scheme :nana
SWIM
Posts: 425
Joined: 11 Jan 2010, 20:33
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by SWIM »

where do I sign?

16 years...
'deal of the century' - dingo
farstrider
Posts: 41
Joined: 24 Nov 2011, 17:45
Gender: Male

How many of you would take VR?

Post by farstrider »

yes I would take it . 29yrs, its getting too much now