ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by postslippete »

Although the lwt trolleys are supposed to take weight off your back - I often get backache myself if I tend to push/pull one all day. Royal Mail trolleys are not tailored for everyone.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Lincox »

Smaller faster strides :thumbdown
Any adjustment to your normal stride pattern will create stress. The length of your legs should determine your stride pattern. As for pulling a trolley is primarily using the larger muscles in your legs is also mechanically false.If the trolley was strapped to your hips and centred in the middle of your body you may have a point, but the facts are it is not. It is being dragged by whichever side of your body you drag it on and over time will effect the balance of your pelvis which will cause back problems, leg problems (possibly sciatica), shoulder misalignment, kneck problems.
Dantheunit
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Aug 2016, 10:11
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Dantheunit »

Lincox wrote:It is being dragged by whichever side of your body you drag it on and over time will effect the balance of your pelvis which will cause back problems, leg problems (possibly sciatica), shoulder misalignment, kneck problems.
Neck problems really? I didn't realise they were commonplace in RM. I never knew pulling a trolley could be so hazardous. I'll reserve judgement on the subject for now.
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Spedley »

I haven't used one in years but when I did I got elbow problems from pulling it. It got a vit better when I started to push it but didn't go until a couple of weeks after I stopped using it.
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by DGH »

Dantheunit wrote:
Lincox wrote:It is being dragged by whichever side of your body you drag it on and over time will effect the balance of your pelvis which will cause back problems, leg problems (possibly sciatica), shoulder misalignment, kneck problems.
Neck problems really? I didn't realise they were commonplace in RM. I never knew pulling a trolley could be so hazardous. I'll reserve judgement on the subject for now.
Lincox isn't wrong. Pushing/pulling trolleys has its own set of biomechanical difficulties that are rather different to those caused by carrying a bag over the shoulder but aren't really any less problematic.

In fact a proper harness system where bags were carried but the weight distributed more evenly on both shoulders (ie two small pouches) would be less biomechanically problematic than pulling/pushing trolleys (yes you would be carrying weight but at least your spine would be straighter and in essence it would be similar to carrying a loaded rucksack.

Even the HCTs have issues, usually caused by stooping to push them. But they are probably the least problematic physically.
tone123
Posts: 44
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by tone123 »

I'd agree with Lincox's advice;
" found that the best way to use the LWT was pushing it, and once you are used to the walk, switching just before kerbs, obstacles to pulling and then switching back again once clear. I never held a bundle unless leaving the trolley to do a row of houses keeping the trolley in site. There is no doubt that continually holding a bundle and pushing/pulling causes wear and tear to the bottom of your wrist and thumb ( arthritas/ carpal tunnel)."

This is exactly what I found out for myself. Pushing is the way to go & switching for kerbs etc. If you think about it, your arms are not designed to be trailing behind you, if they were then the joints would be the other way round.
The issue about the leading foot of the trolley digging into the ground was rarely an issue for me as I'm a short arse. I can imagine that it would happen more often for someone taller as the overall angle of the trolley would be different and nearer to the stationary position.

To improve things further, couldn't RM provide a clip on tray for the current bundle? Similar to the ones on the larger hand carts. If I have to walk any further than 20ft then the bundle goes back in the bag.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by crimson king »

So, I've tried pushing it these past couple of days, taking care to keep that leading foot up and yep, it's definitely the way forward for me....awful pun, sorry.

So much more comfortable and feels more natural. The idea above of a clip on tray to keep your current bundle in is a good one, got me thinking on how to adapt/ create something. At the moment I'm just keeping the bundle on top of the packets in the pouch, but it's not ideal, especially when the packets are at the beginning of the walk and the pouch is empty. I did take in a bungee strap to try and see if that would work on the top of the trolley, but managed to lose the strap between the car park and DO. On reflection, having a bungee strap stretched taut at goolie level might not be the brightest of ideas.... :nervous
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Interested-seeker »

tone123 wrote:I'd agree with Lincox's advice;

This is exactly what I found out for myself. Pushing is the way to go & switching for kerbs etc.
This is what I do :)
tone123 wrote:To improve things further, couldn't RM provide a clip on tray for the current bundle? Similar to the ones on the larger hand carts. If I have to walk any further than 20ft then the bundle goes back in the bag.
Great idea! We need a suggestion box thread on here that everyone could post ideas like yours in.
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Ozzvaldo »

I've been using a LWT every day, on every loop, for 7 years and haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned on this thread. I pull it behind me on the flat and uphill, and walk it in front of me going downhill....otherwise it rolls away when you let go if you're towing it. I'm over 6ft tall and the handle is just the right height for me so I don't have to stoop when using it, but I don't understand why there isn't an adjustable/telescopic handle option to suit individual needs.

I agree that the use of LWTs should have been tested on every proposed shared van delivery to gauge the impact of terrain, weight carried,affect on delivery time etc and the rounds adjusted accordingly rather than them being introduced with the assumption that everything would be hunkey dorey.
t3mcIUQWE2
Posts: 137
Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by t3mcIUQWE2 »

Yep, there have been, to me, some bonkers thoughts and experiences expressed here.

Can't believe anyone suggesting that pushing is better than pulling. Pushing requires you to actively control it putting tremendous strain on your wrist and other joints. It's like trying to balance a pencil vertically on your hand against resting it on your palm.

I pull it with my hand by my hip, no gripping required, just friction.
crimson king wrote:The idea above of a clip on tray to keep your current bundle in is a good one, got me thinking on how to adapt/ create something. At the moment I'm just keeping the bundle on top of the packets in the pouch, but it's not ideal, especially when the packets are at the beginning of the walk and the pouch is empty.
What? Bundle in one hand, trolley handle in the other.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by woody38 »

Are u on about the trolleys that look like golf bag carriers or the big ice cream trolleys, if u are on about the light weight trolleys then yes, when ever I use them either my feet hurt for days after, or my knee goes, I do have trouble with my feet but not my knees. I thing they are not designed properly, the look cheap.
t3mcIUQWE2
Posts: 137
Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by t3mcIUQWE2 »

Lincox wrote:Smaller faster strides :thumbdown
Any adjustment to your normal stride pattern will create stress.
:crazy: One foot between the wheels, one foot outside. Just walk.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by crimson king »

t3mcIUQWE2 wrote:Yep, there have been, to me, some bonkers thoughts and experiences expressed here.

Can't believe anyone suggesting that pushing is better than pulling. Pushing requires you to actively control it putting tremendous strain on your wrist and other joints. It's like trying to balance a pencil vertically on your hand against resting it on your palm.

I pull it with my hand by my hip, no gripping required, just friction.
crimson king wrote:The idea above of a clip on tray to keep your current bundle in is a good one, got me thinking on how to adapt/ create something. At the moment I'm just keeping the bundle on top of the packets in the pouch, but it's not ideal, especially when the packets are at the beginning of the walk and the pouch is empty.
What? Bundle in one hand, trolley handle in the other.
Ha ha, yeah, after trying a couple of things this default method has proved to be the easiest!
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by yellowbelly »

Interested-seeker wrote:
tone123 wrote:I'd agree with Lincox's advice;

This is exactly what I found out for myself. Pushing is the way to go & switching for kerbs etc.
This is what I do :)
tone123 wrote:To improve things further, couldn't RM provide a clip on tray for the current bundle? Similar to the ones on the larger hand carts. If I have to walk any further than 20ft then the bundle goes back in the bag.
Great idea! We need a suggestion box thread on here that everyone could post ideas like yours in.
I've seen one, a rectangular semi-rigid red canvas type material box, the cover of which was zipped along three sides and was attached
along the length of the top strut of the LWT.

Definitely looked like issue kit as it was attached properly, not bodged in anyway. I might be imagining it now but it may even have had a plastic window in the top.
The van share fella whose round it was on guarded it with his life.

Must be like rocking horse poo 'cos I've never seen one since.
Celgar
Posts: 2795
Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
Gender: Male

Injuries through lightweight trolley.

Post by Celgar »

Sounds like consensus is for pushing the LWT rather than pulling it even though RM want them pulled along. I'm on a rural van delivery so it doesn't have an impact on my walk. I have a small estate road of 37 houses and an additional 16 houses but I walk that with a pouch on my shoulder and do any larger parcels or multiples via the van.
We have two sets of shared walks in our office and to the best of my knowledge they operate out of pouches on the shoulder as well. I think if I was on a shared van delivery I would use , and push, a LWT as I have had problems in past when we had bikes with pressure on my shoulder from pouch use.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.