ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Days off - Stitched again

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rich7673
Posts: 7
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 21:24
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by rich7673 »

Day off should of been Tuesday next week, now down as a spare, so New Year’s Day is now my day off and they owe me a day I’m guessing. Manager says it’s across the board for all part timers and floaters. Has this happened elsewhere ?
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by yubin282 »

yup, stitched up with christmas and new year week

thats more days I'm owed, just asked for 5 consecutive saturdays off DOM hasn't got back to me yet
DGH
Posts: 710
Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
Gender: Male
Location: Neither here nor there

Days off - Stitched again

Post by DGH »

This sort of thing is absolutely disgraceful. The union should be all over it (only a cynic would suggest that they are not because full timers indirectly benefit from this kind of arrangement).

Often full-timers settled on walks wonder why part-timers who are reserves think the way RM is set up is unfair. It's because it is, and we effectively have a two-tier workforce. Sure, in ancient times this could be justified by the claim that after a coupe of dozen years the newcomers could have the easier life. That patently isn't the case any more as the job gets harder and harder.
rich7673
Posts: 7
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 21:24
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by rich7673 »

To me it seems like discrimination because of the part time “status”. Ive done the same walk with a full timer since I started and yet he gets the same set days off and I get stitched when due a Saturday off covering another round (all my other days usually are the same as his, unless it’s new year !!, the week I’m due a Saturday off, I get a Tuesday off) All I get off our union rep is a shoulder shrug.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by Creditshampoo »

rich7673 wrote:Day off should of been Tuesday next week, now down as a spare, so New Year’s Day is now my day off and they owe me a day I’m guessing. Manager says it’s across the board for all part timers and floaters. Has this happened elsewhere ?

Tell them it’s too short notice for them to change your day off as you have plans. This isn’t good enough.
If your rep shrugs then replace your rep guys
UnhappyGremlin
Posts: 2685
Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
Gender: Male
Location: Hiding

Days off - Stitched again

Post by UnhappyGremlin »

I'm sorry but I'm going away for a long weekend with family so I will be taking my day off as normal.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by redneck »

Your rep should at the very least go speak to management about your issues. He will more than likely get a similar sort of response that you have received from him. If so then a grievance should be put in. That can also be a frustrating experience, often allowed to drag on way past the tinescales agreed for the process. This is why some union reps shrug their shoulders, but they need to go through that pathway for you at least.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by Bahia Feliz »

You should be able to take the day in lieu before the end of March.
FelicityRae
Posts: 27
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 12:13
Gender: Female

Days off - Stitched again

Post by FelicityRae »

It’s beem fine over the bank holidays but only had one Saturday off that wasn’t annual leave this entire year.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Days off - Stitched again

Post by NWpostie »

Do what I do, refuse to cover overtime and don't come in on my day off, if they ask why, I tell them exactly why.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by superports »

If your day off is on a bank holiday I personally would tell them it's too late as I had plans made. Failing that I would ask for it to be paid as o/t, which you are entitled to do, and put his budget through the roof.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by Sir Henry »

You don't like being f****d over re days off, they don't like having to pay you for the day so hit them where it hurts. And don't take no for an answer.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
superports
Posts: 171
Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
Gender: Male

Days off - Stitched again

Post by superports »

Check the thread on here a few lines down - "Rest Days On Bank Holidays"