Are these bag boxes situated in shops and business premises along the route? It sounds like the old system before park and loop was introduced that my van partner frequently goes misty eyed about.ploppy wrote:If only that were the case.We have bag boxes along the route to replen. I assumed that is what happened everywhere.barrychuckle wrote:So your delivery is two bags in total on a lightweight trolley. I want a transfer.ploppy wrote:We don't do the park and loop thing.We get dropped off at the start of our duties and then hopefully there is someone to pick you up at the end.Otherwise it's an extra mile walk back to the office.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3731
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
If I'm on a duty that uses one it depends on the terrain I'm going over whether I push or pull.
Going up kerbs, over rough pavements, uneven surface I pull (that way less shock going up your arm), push over reasonable surfaces then you
don't get your ankles rapped and can keep an eye on contents.
Going up kerbs, over rough pavements, uneven surface I pull (that way less shock going up your arm), push over reasonable surfaces then you
don't get your ankles rapped and can keep an eye on contents.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
It won't die of loneliness that's for certain.bensonhedge wrote:I sustained mental torture when it dawned on me my 30 minute loops where going to take me longer and my fellow colleagues where all going home on a flyer and was forced to retire my trolley to a life round the back of the bike shed.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
Worked off a bicycle for most of my RM life without any physical problems. Did P&L with L/W Trolley for last two years. Suffered recurring back problems which still exist and was referred to Occupational Health and on to Rehab Plan carried out by a private company in Rotherham. Fortunately retired soon after but physical health has not been the same since Park & Loop.
I found that the best way to use the LWT was pushing it, and once you are used to the walk, switching just before kerbs, obstacles to pulling and then switching back again once clear. I never held a bundle unless leaving the trolley to do a row of houses keeping the trolley in site. There is no doubt that continually holding a bundle and pushing/pulling causes wear and tear to the bottom of your wrist and thumb ( arthritas/ carpal tunnel).
i am sure that in years to come Royal Mail will be having to fight off damage claims brought by the union and or individuals as the delivery methods now are beyond the capability over the long term of the human anatomy. They used to put donkeys to work down the mines many years ago and this eventually got taken over by automation. I hope for all your sake that Royal Mail come to their senses and change the way you are having to damage your bodies by bringing in sensible workloads and better delivery automation.
I found that the best way to use the LWT was pushing it, and once you are used to the walk, switching just before kerbs, obstacles to pulling and then switching back again once clear. I never held a bundle unless leaving the trolley to do a row of houses keeping the trolley in site. There is no doubt that continually holding a bundle and pushing/pulling causes wear and tear to the bottom of your wrist and thumb ( arthritas/ carpal tunnel).
i am sure that in years to come Royal Mail will be having to fight off damage claims brought by the union and or individuals as the delivery methods now are beyond the capability over the long term of the human anatomy. They used to put donkeys to work down the mines many years ago and this eventually got taken over by automation. I hope for all your sake that Royal Mail come to their senses and change the way you are having to damage your bodies by bringing in sensible workloads and better delivery automation.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
Genuine question, as I'm always on the lookout for ways to evolve and make life easier- you said you never held a bundle, so where/how did you carry the mail you were about to deliver? Did you strap it to the top of the LWT somehow?Lincox wrote:Worked off a bicycle for most of my RM life without any physical problems. Did P&L with L/W Trolley for last two years. Suffered recurring back problems which still exist and was referred to Occupational Health and on to Rehab Plan carried out by a private company in Rotherham. Fortunately retired soon after but physical health has not been the same since Park & Loop.
I found that the best way to use the LWT was pushing it, and once you are used to the walk, switching just before kerbs, obstacles to pulling and then switching back again once clear. I never held a bundle unless leaving the trolley to do a row of houses keeping the trolley in site. There is no doubt that continually holding a bundle and pushing/pulling causes wear and tear to the bottom of your wrist and thumb ( arthritas/ carpal tunnel).
i am sure that in years to come Royal Mail will be having to fight off damage claims brought by the union and or individuals as the delivery methods now are beyond the capability over the long term of the human anatomy. They used to put donkeys to work down the mines many years ago and this eventually got taken over by automation. I hope for all your sake that Royal Mail come to their senses and change the way you are having to damage your bodies by bringing in sensible workloads and better delivery automation.
This is an interesting thread, especially the pushing/pulling variations. During my two minutes of LWT training I was told you're not allowed to push it, apart from under certain circumstances...what these are I never did learn. I'm assuming four minute warning or terror attack or something.
Anyway, the few times I have tried pushing it have ended up with it digging in the ground like a pole vaulting pole and the handle attempting to acquaint itself with my intestines. Whether it's my technique or the terrain it hurt enough to stick to pulling.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
ploppy
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:11
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
I shall give pushing it a try and see if that helps,but to be honest my whole body is just about clapped out. I have 4 more years to go until I reach 60 then I am off, if I last that long.I feel for the younger ones starting now because they will be crippled before they reach 40.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
It's better than problems caused by not using the trolley and carrying sometimes heavy weights on the body, turning you in effect into a severely obese individual in terms of what your sub frame of bone and muscles are having to cope with. Push the trolley, don't pull it.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
Crimson, if you have got the bags with the hanging metals or if not slice a hole in the strap as near to the bag as you can then when you hang it on the lugs it will normally sit just above the top plate of the trolley frame especially when both bags are full. You can then sit your bundle in between the bags on the top frame without having to strap it down. Gets a bit more difficult when the bags start to empty but still better than holding in your hand.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
Redneck, absolutely right. I can never understand not using a trolley because it does take all the weight of a hanging bag, off your shoulders. Also if a lWT has been designated for the walk and you are not using one, then there is no way you can claim for damages if you are injured.
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
Lincox, cheers for that, I'll give it a go 
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
ive always pushed it as it didn't feel right pulling as your arm and shoulder was in a weird position behind your back and your pulling the weight as well , but surely the cwu and r/m health and safety elite must have found this out on trialing them ?Hammer59 wrote:I had problems with my shoulder when pulling them. My physio said it would be better pushing them. I have had an operation on my shoulder and since recovering from that I now only push them.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
I always push the let just switch for kerbs ect. When I pull the lwt I have caught it many of times with my gangly long legs. and even cut the back of my leg in the past on them 
-
Dantheunit
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 02 Aug 2016, 10:11
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
I'm a bit taller (6ft) with short arms. Pulling the trolley feels like a natural extension of my body. If the LWT handles were slightly shorter I can almost guarantee more people would pull them), it's 100x easier.
I prefer it because I feel as a though I don't miss a beat, just push the handle down and it follows me. No steering, no pushing the weight, which means I can walk faster.
I honestly think a one size fits all approach to the size and ergonomics of a trolley is wrong, and the company with the support of the CWU should look into trialing a few new and different options so an individual can pull a LWT trolley best suited to their physiology. It may result in fewer injuries and greater productivity, partly due to the increase of staff actually using the LWT'S!!!
I prefer it because I feel as a though I don't miss a beat, just push the handle down and it follows me. No steering, no pushing the weight, which means I can walk faster.
I honestly think a one size fits all approach to the size and ergonomics of a trolley is wrong, and the company with the support of the CWU should look into trialing a few new and different options so an individual can pull a LWT trolley best suited to their physiology. It may result in fewer injuries and greater productivity, partly due to the increase of staff actually using the LWT'S!!!
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
If you pull a trolley you are creating drag and because you are dragging it with one arm, part of the trolley sits outside the line of your frame. This creates much more tension on your body and is also the reason why so many people catch their legs in the wheels. Look at this scenario. If your car broke down would you pull it to the side of the road or push it to the side of the road. Once you get the car in motion it pushes reasonably easy. Try dragging it and you are always taking the full strain of the weight of the vehicle. It is same with LWT. Once you get the trolley in motion by pushing it there is little weight strain on your body. Pull it and you are taking the weight all the time.
-
Dantheunit
- Posts: 40
- Joined: 02 Aug 2016, 10:11
- Gender: Male
Injuries through lightweight trolley.
Your car analogyLincox wrote:If you pull a trolley you are creating drag and because you are dragging it with one arm, part of the trolley sits outside the line of your frame. This creates much more tension on your body and is also the reason why so many people catch their legs in the wheels. Look at this scenario. If your car broke down would you pull it to the side of the road or push it to the side of the road. Once you get the car in motion it pushes reasonably easy. Try dragging it and you are always taking the full strain of the weight of the vehicle. It is same with LWT. Once you get the trolley in motion by pushing it there is little weight strain on your body. Pull it and you are taking the weight all the time.
In regards to wheels hitting your legs you learn to walk with smaller, faster strides, it's a small adjustment, I had that problem at first. I think we've established that the injuries via the lightweight trolley are likely upper body injuries. When you pull all your upper body is doing is pushing the handle down to relieve trolley brake from the floor, when you pull your arms have to control the direction of the trolley and help push the weight of it.
Pulling uses the legs (larger muscles), pushing uses the arms and shoulders more(smaller muscles). Simple.