ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I was better off on benefits but work gave me my dignity: My Wigan Pier Story

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

I was better off on benefits but work gave me my dignity: My Wigan Pier Story

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/b ... y-11656789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As part of our Road to Wigan Pier 2017 project, 80 years on from the publication of George Orwell's essay, postal worker, Chris Melville explains why he's struggling on a part-time salary

Chris Melville, 48, is a Royal Mail worker in Sheffield. He relocated when London got too expensive but, as he tells Claire Donnelly, surviving on part-time wages is tough in the north too.

I was born in Hackney, London but I moved up here when I was younger because it was costing too much in London.

I was on agency in London, working for them and getting £75 per week but the rent was £25 per week so I couldn’t do it. It just wasn't enough.

My dad was up here so I moved up and I did the same kind of thing in Sheffield.

Then I was out of work for abut 12 years. I did all kinds of courses to keep myself busy but it was a hard slog, it wasn’t a good situation.

The job centre didn’t help me, they didn’t care, it was Remploy who finally helped me.

They helped me get a job at Royal Mail sorting office - without them I wouldn’t have a job, I wouldn’t have a life.

I’ve been there four years and the job gave me my dignity back, I feel like am a man again. I get up and go somewhere every day.

I’ve got mates there, it’s a different way of life.

But it’s only 22.5 hours a week so financially I’m worse than I was when I was out of work.

Because I work more than 16 hours a week I have to pay full for my rent and bills but unless you work 40 hours a week not many people can afford to do that. Money is always tight.

The full-time jobs at the Royal Mail are hard to come by, people are waiting seven, ten, years to get those.

I live in council accommodation, it’s £400 per month and you have to fight hard to get things done.

Sheffield has changed a lot since I first came here. The city centre is changing, there’s a lot of building and new shops, it’s becoming like London.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

I was better off on benefits but work gave me my dignity: My Wigan Pier Story

Post by NWpostie »

Read the book and his famous " Animal Farm"

George Orwell wrote other books, the two mentioned are his best works in my opinion.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

I was better off on benefits but work gave me my dignity: My Wigan Pier Story

Post by Decky Boy »

Try "Down and Out in Paris and London" ... it always lifts me and leaves me with a positive outlook on life :cool
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

I was better off on benefits but work gave me my dignity: My Wigan Pier Story

Post by NWpostie »

I've touched on that but read it properly yet, might well do fter Christmas when things have quietened down.
:cuppa :Very Happy
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Decky Boy
Posts: 440
Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
Gender: Male

I was better off on benefits but work gave me my dignity: My Wigan Pier Story

Post by Decky Boy »

It'll have you realising life as a postie isn't so bad after all :wink: