ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by MissKazzyB »

St1983 wrote:Hi,
I also started 6 months ago, 25 hour contract. My frame is normally all prepped for me amd I just tie up and go out. I always take my break. The walk I'm on at the moment I can generally complete but other walks I've been on it's not possible to do in my time, and I've just bought it back.
Hi
What time do you take your break ?
What do they say when you take it back ?
Gave you had a 6 month review ?
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by joewyan »

MissKazzyB wrote:I’m on 25 hrs a week

9.30-2.30

I can’t go over my hrs as I have school run to do

I’ve just had my 6 month review yesterday & they’re trying to get me a 3 month extension as I’m not completing

Yesterday & today I’ve completed however I couldn’t take my meal relief or I wouldn’t b able to complete.
They’re happy to pay me for that half hour.

I feel now that I can’t have a break or I’ll fail on completion

Based on that time start I would expect all mail to be prepped and redirections should be done to allow them to be recirculated. You should always be able to take your break if you want to. You should be able to find out the delivery span in your office if you ask union rep or management, especially if they are reviewing you then this info should be available to you.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by MissKazzyB »

Apparently the delivery span is 3.5 hrs including 10-15 minuets there to start of walk & 10-15 mins back from walk to office on some walks
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by NewPostieUK »

Celgar wrote:The official RM line on D2D prep is that you throw up a sixth each day
Rubbish. Each duty, never mind each office, in theory, could be different. In my office part timers don't prep door to doors.

Also, payment for door to doors stopped ages ago.
St1983
Posts: 21
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 21:12
Gender: Female

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by St1983 »

MissKazzyB wrote:
St1983 wrote:Hi,
I also started 6 months ago, 25 hour contract. My frame is normally all prepped for me amd I just tie up and go out. I always take my break. The walk I'm on at the moment I can generally complete but other walks I've been on it's not possible to do in my time, and I've just bought it back.
Hi
What time do you take your break ?
What do they say when you take it back ?
Gave you had a 6 month review ?
I normally take my break at the end. If I've bought quite a bit back then sometimes they have asked me why, I've just said that there was too much for me to finish. If I only have a bit left I just bring it back and leave on my frame without saying anything as long as the tracked and signed for are done.
No, haven't had a review, nothing has been mentioned to me.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by joewyan »

MissKazzyB wrote:Apparently the delivery span is 3.5 hrs including 10-15 minuets there to start of walk & 10-15 mins back from walk to office on some walks
Do you find that you can’t complete the delivery span in 3.5 hours? Do others in the office complete the same job/s in that time? If so, have you asked them for any tips on how to get it done in that time?
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by LaggyBand »

It's difficult for new starters for sure.

Problem is, the more you give them for free the more they'll expect it from you.

The part timers in our place that have their prep concentrated on the most by full timers are the ones that always cut off if they run out of time.

Basically, doing "favours" isn't sustainable long term. Not if you want to finish on time.

A shame, really, but that's the structure they've put in place.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by yellowbelly »

MissKazzyB wrote:
Yesterday & today I’ve completed however I couldn’t take my meal relief or I wouldn’t b able to complete.
They’re happy to pay me for that half hour.

I feel now that I can’t have a break or I’ll fail on completion
To me this is the crux of the matter - if they're willing to pay you to take a break at the end
they're only concerned about the mail being completed, they're using the 're-training' threat
to achieve this - if you continue to complete but without taking a break they'll not give a hoot,
they'll not offer you re-training to help you achieve completion and a break!

If you don't complete but take a break they'll chuck their teddies out the pram again.

Are you on the same round everyday? There 'should' be a plan (I think it's called a 318) of what time each duty
starts, what time the duty should go out the door and what time the duty finishes but to find it they're as rare as rocking horse poo because of the fact
that they're probably out of date and/or unachievable and hidden in a drawer somewhere.

If you're on different duties then without a doubt you won't be able to complete as some of the rounds
are probably for people on more hours than you.
tone123
Posts: 44
Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by tone123 »

MissKazzyB wrote:Apparently the delivery span is 3.5 hrs including 10-15 minuets there to start of walk & 10-15 mins back from walk to office on some walks
That leaves you with a net time of approx 3hrs to perform the delivery. That seems like an extremely short walk. I'd be willing to put money on there being no realistic way you could deliver the amount of mail you're given in that time frame.
Might be worth checking when the span was last assessed and on what volume of mail so that it could be fairly compared to present.
Also see if any new housing estates have miraculously appeared since the last assessment as these will not be included in the time given. Walks are supposed to be subject to revision to account for this kind of thing but it's not in RM's interest to be overly keen on carrying this out.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by South_London_Postie »

Ignore the 3.5 hour expectation. Another tactic used by Doms knowing full well it doesn’t take into account the influx of parcels and extra points since it was last tested. I can 99% guarantee it’s no longer applicable to the reality of the walk you do today.

Kazzy don’t fall into the trap of skipping your break to complete. It may seem like a decent halfway compromise to get them off your back, but If you ever have an accident on duty etc they will use it to throw the book at you.
FelicityRae
Posts: 27
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 12:13
Gender: Female

What is the correct prep work for P/T workers

Post by FelicityRae »

My husband was told he was too slow. He was advised to ask them to test the route. He was told they were too busy to do that but they’ve not mentioned his speed since. It’s now over a year later.