http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1571245 ... an_s_life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/resources/images/7161439/A YORK postie who waded into the River Ouse to save a woman’s life has received a national award for her bravery.
Quick-thinking Caroline Britton saved a suicidal woman from taking her own life when during an evening dog walk she spotted her standing in a treacherous stretch of the river.
Now the kind-hearted 46-year-old has been recognised for her actions after winning Royal Mail chief executive Moya Greene’s UK award for bravery.
And Caroline said she is thinking of the woman she saved this Christmas - and hopes she is with her family.
Caroline, who works at Birch Park Delivery Office in Huntington, said her life-saving actions had just involved doing what she “had to do” when she “saw the need”
She chanced on the woman in distress while out walking.
Caroline said: “I thought at first she was confused and had wandered in, but when I called out to her she said she wanted to die.
“I called 999 and made a joke that I would have to wade in, in my pants to help her. I just did it without thinking and was up to my chest in water.
“I hugged and reassured her and took her to safety; a boat went by but didn’t stop.
“The ambulance didn’t arrive until I had got her to safety.
“I just hope she got the help she needed and is somewhere safe this Christmas.”
Caroline, who has worked for Royal Mail for 13 years and has always lived in Fulford, added: “To win the bravery award for the whole country is amazing.
“I just did what I had to do when I saw the need.”
She added that her experience as a postie probably helped her when she had to leap into action.
“I didn’t even feel the cold,” said Caroline. “It must be because posties are used to wearing shorts.”
Caroline, who is well known in her office for helping people, is now busy dealing with Royal Mail's busiest time of year - and urging people to post cards and gifts on time.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Brave postie waded into river to save woman's life
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Brave postie waded into river to save woman's life
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.