it always has been RMs obligation to get the mail delivered, its just in the past postmen were more willing to stay out and get the job done. Theres reasons why this isnt the case so much now, mainly id say that deliveries are averaging about 4.5 hours on a regular day, and many people are at their physical limit doing this and anymore walking day in, day out is too much. Also the continuing of door 2 door throughout the xmas period is nothing but greed from RM, posties cant manage the workload as is without adding d2d on top. I get it, d2d is extra revenue, but RMs lack of extra staffing doesnt account for this and in many managers eyes its up to the posties to get all this extra done :no no Not only this but the later finish times than back in the day mean any overtime is done as it gets dark, and also many people have childcare issues when kids finish school for the day.WOBBLY wrote:
I'm on a rural, I cut off. I don't care if its there the next day, or the next, if its there for my day off cover, if my day off cover leaves me some with spades - I just leave more.
Been working for RM for 20 years and they don't give a toss about us so I've stopped giving a toss about the job! I work at the speed they want me to, doing the job how they want me too! If the duty is too long for me to complete in the time they pay me for then thats their problem. May sound harsh, but my heath and time with my family are much more important than getting stressed over unachievable workloads!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Physically Exhausted!!!!
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
Physically Exhausted!!!!
A lot of posties would often go the extra mile and many offices would be run on the goodwill of them,not anymore. why should they when they are treated like s**t!! 
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
97gaz youre describing a well run office that has enough staff with people able and willing to do any overtime, there are many offices that are a complete shambles and almost alien to what you are describing.
-
BarnsleyLackey
- Posts: 349
- Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Brandy wrote:A lot of posties would often go the extra mile and many offices would be run on the goodwill of them,not anymore. why should they when they are treated like s**t!!
That's true. But if posties did only what they were supposed to do, the company would struggle and a rethink would be needed.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
WOBBLY wrote:
I'm on a rural, I cut off. I don't care if its there the next day, or the next, if its there for my day off cover, if my day off cover leaves me some with spades - I just leave more.
Been working for RM for 20 years and they don't give a toss about us so I've stopped giving a toss about the job! I work at the speed they want me to, doing the job how they want me too! If the duty is too long for me to complete in the time they pay me for then thats their problem. May sound harsh, but my heath and time with my family are much more important than getting stressed over unachievable workloads!
Totally agree Wobbly
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
I agree that Households are an additional Revenue Stream for RM, and TBH you can't blame them for trying to increase "Our" profits. However treat them as "Live Mail". I still prep mine in RMs time, not throwing them all off on a Saturday afternoon in my own time just because, "I like to have them all ready for Monday", as you hear in my DO.Postie45 wrote: that deliveries are averaging about 4.5 hours on a regular day, and many people are at their physical limit doing this and anymore walking day in, day out is too much. Also the continuing of door 2 door throughout the xmas period is nothing but greed from RM, posties cant manage the workload as is without adding d2d on top. I get it, d2d is extra revenue, but RMs lack of extra staffing doesnt account for this and in many managers eyes its up to the posties to get all this extra doneNot only this but the later finish times than back in the day mean any overtime is done as it gets dark, and also many people have childcare issues when kids finish school for the day.
If you've got loads of Households the prep time obviously impacts on your delivery time, and this should be reflected in either the overtime, you're happy to do, or in the amount you leave behind. Too many Posties are still giving RM far too much FREE labour!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
I agree. Every office is different although really we should all be treated the same. Mail levels will be different in every area depending on how much junk and internet shopping is done. Walk lengths are different in every office and in each office the walks are not all of the same length. The systems RM use to determine walk lengths are broken or defective and are based on electricity and gas supply lines. The whole system is f*****. End of rant.
I agree with you Dorset Plodder too. The business runs on all the free work us posties do. We have collectively dug a hole and the union has stood to one side, admittedly told us not to do it, and then we have jumped into the hole and continued to dig.
I agree with you Dorset Plodder too. The business runs on all the free work us posties do. We have collectively dug a hole and the union has stood to one side, admittedly told us not to do it, and then we have jumped into the hole and continued to dig.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
As I understand it part of the reason for wanting to push "Data Capture", in the ongoing negotiations, is so that we can actually get a true picture (literally) of how far we drive & walk on a daily basis. I've spoken to quite a few Posties in my DO about it and the majority seem quite happy with that. If you've got nothing to hide what's the problem? A few weren't too keen but then I believe they're the ones who really need more work adding to their duties (I've done them as Reserve).
The CWU are very keen that this Data Capture cannot be used for "Disciplinary Matters" which I feel is quite right.
Although it might actually support a Posties case if there were "Performance Issues".
On the whole I feel that it would help sort out this ongoing problem of unbalanced walks within DOs, which I believe is the basis for a lot of bad feeling between Posties. 
The CWU are very keen that this Data Capture cannot be used for "Disciplinary Matters" which I feel is quite right.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Argh. You've made the idea of data capture make sense. Sounds like a good idea when you explain it like that.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Hit, nail and head spring to mind!Dorset Plodder wrote:As I understand it part of the reason for wanting to push "Data Capture", in the ongoing negotiations, is so that we can actually get a true picture (literally) of how far we drive & walk on a daily basis. I've spoken to quite a few Posties in my DO about it and the majority seem quite happy with that. If you've got nothing to hide what's the problem? A few weren't too keen but then I believe they're the ones who really need more work adding to their duties (I've done them as Reserve).![]()
The CWU are very keen that this Data Capture cannot be used for "Disciplinary Matters" which I feel is quite right.Although it might actually support a Posties case if there were "Performance Issues".
On the whole I feel that it would help sort out this ongoing problem of unbalanced walks within DOs, which I believe is the basis for a lot of bad feeling between Posties.
I for one welcome data capture. I have an oversized duty and I'm pretty much cutting off everyday. I do my job properly so have nothing whatsoever to hide. The ones making the most noise on this topic are those on easy duties!! I'm hoping, if it is rolled out, that it will go some way to stopping the 'runners and early starters' from working for free!! (Which, incidentally, I just don't get!
-
Wullie10
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 720
- Joined: 30 Jul 2017, 12:07
- Gender: Male
- Location: Retired
Physically Exhausted!!!!
It is exhausting , but that is the job. I enjoy it. If people just moan all the time then they are in the wrong job. I couldn't be a manager and sit on my arse all day in an office,i'd be bored. But i would get a check up , it could be something more than just the workload.
-
scoobymunster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Realistically though, can you see Royal Mail using data capture to put adequate hours into offices, or using it to question performance? I like the idea as I've nothing to hide but I just fear it'll end up being used to question why one postie takes longer than another to do x, y or z.WOBBLY wrote:
Hit, nail and head spring to mind!
I for one welcome data capture. I have an oversized duty and I'm pretty much cutting off everyday. I do my job properly so have nothing whatsoever to hide. The ones making the most noise on this topic are those on easy duties!! I'm hoping, if it is rolled out, that it will go some way to stopping the 'runners and early starters' from working for free!! (Which, incidentally, I just don't get!)