Seems very much down to the Manager. We've had some that are willing to prep walks only, and others that take out the lapsing and 9 o'clock specials. I think it depends on how frightened they are of their immediate boss, or how desperate they are for their bonus?wannabeek wrote:
LOL. As if.
Never seen a manager do delivery.
Seen massive fails; seen a whole sub office 50% fail, as in half the whole walks do not even get 1 letter in the frame...
Still never seen a manager deliver. Apparently some posties are in a different job, like I said.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Physically Exhausted!!!!
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Overrunning Delivery Procedure? At Xmas???
Ok. I'm a deep rural postie so probably a bit alien to the majority on this site, it seems. My locals have ordered a large amount of old toot off of t'internet.
I want them to get it that day or else I'll just have to deliver it tomorrow along with tomorrow's avalanche of old toot off of t'internet.
I'll be working between 9 to 12 hrs a day at this time of year. That's what being a postie at xmas is, no?
Why the blinkin eck do they tip us otherwise? It's not for the witty banter, for sure!
Ok. I'm a deep rural postie so probably a bit alien to the majority on this site, it seems. My locals have ordered a large amount of old toot off of t'internet.
I want them to get it that day or else I'll just have to deliver it tomorrow along with tomorrow's avalanche of old toot off of t'internet.
I'll be working between 9 to 12 hrs a day at this time of year. That's what being a postie at xmas is, no?
Why the blinkin eck do they tip us otherwise? It's not for the witty banter, for sure!
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
If you're happy to do that WB that's your choice mate.wannabeek wrote:Overrunning Delivery Procedure? At Xmas???
I'll be working between 9 to 12 hrs a day at this time of year. That's what being a postie at xmas is, no?
Why the blinkin eck do they tip us otherwise? It's not for the witty banter, for sure!
Tips don't bother me too much either, if I get some great but I don't get too stressed over them. I get paid to deliver the mail. How many times have you made that extra effort, throughout the year, to help out a customer (normally the wealthy type in the big house)...... and got no tip from them. Yet it's ironically the Blind OAP, who gets little mail, that actually gives you a fiver!
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 07 Dec 2017, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
I guess it just that that is the reality of the job for some of us.
Cut off - it'll be there tomorow. Thin out - it'll be there tomorrow. Leave parcels - they'll be there tomorrow. Leave them for your day off cover - he'll leave same quantity for you, with spades on!
It's actually a fun job tho, to be fair, on a deep rural, not like the grief the townies get. Gotta take the rough with the smooth. At least we never once get management bs about targets and whatnot.
Cut off - it'll be there tomorow. Thin out - it'll be there tomorrow. Leave parcels - they'll be there tomorrow. Leave them for your day off cover - he'll leave same quantity for you, with spades on!
It's actually a fun job tho, to be fair, on a deep rural, not like the grief the townies get. Gotta take the rough with the smooth. At least we never once get management bs about targets and whatnot.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
for the manager to deal with and staff as appropriatewannabeek wrote: Cut off - it'll be there tomorow.
for the manager to deal with and staff as appropriatewannabeek wrote: Thin out - it'll be there tomorrow.
for the manager to deal with and staff as appropriatewannabeek wrote: Leave parcels - they'll be there tomorrow.
for the manager to deal with and staff as appropriatewannabeek wrote: Leave them for your day off cover - he'll leave same quantity for you, with spades on!
This is what *should* be happening, but posties feel under pressure and are bullied into clearing it because they know itll be there the next day.
Nowhere in contract does it says doing overtime is mandatory at christmas, the fact that RM doesnt employ extra people is because they try to do it on the cheap, your hours are your hours, im glad you dont mind going over and doing extra time, for some of us that is not an option or is not desirable. The extra mail at this time of year is NOT our individual problems, it should be staffed accordingly but rarely is.
Also tips are not wages, the customers arent paying you to do a job, and is no more than a thank you. It doesnt mean you have to do anything "extra" in fact that is seen as bribery.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Erm did you misread me? If we don't do it.... it doesn't get done. There is no relief on a deep rural duty.
Ok, so I agree that overtime is voluntary.
So we do it today or... do it tomorrow. Probably no point continuing trying to explain that point.
Ok, so I agree that overtime is voluntary.
So we do it today or... do it tomorrow. Probably no point continuing trying to explain that point.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
LOL this is the point, its not "YOUR" work. If you dont get it done, it wont get done isnt YOUR problem, its Royal Mails. Its not a difficult concept really. I doubt youre delivering in Siberia and there isnt an staffing agency your office could use. theyve clearly fooled you into believing that youre the only person in the world capable of delivering that mail.wannabeek wrote:Erm did you misread me? If we don't do it.... it doesn't get done. There is no relief on a deep rural duty.
Last edited by Postie45 on 07 Dec 2017, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Ps. Tip = bribery?
My word. That's a bit offensive to me in fact. It's recognition for providing a vital service out in the sticks.
PPS staffing agency??? I actually LOLled.
My word. That's a bit offensive to me in fact. It's recognition for providing a vital service out in the sticks.
PPS staffing agency??? I actually LOLled.
Last edited by wannabeek on 07 Dec 2017, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
not what i said at allwannabeek wrote:Ps. Tip = bribery?
My word. That's a bit offensive to me in fact. It's recognition for providing a vital service out in the sticks.
heh coolPPS staffing agency??? I actually LOLled.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
I hear what you're saying WB. It's a shame you feel you need to deal with this situation yourself. You must be knackered by Christmas?wannabeek wrote:I guess it just that that is the reality of the job for some of us.
Cut off - it'll be there tomorow. Thin out - it'll be there tomorrow. Leave parcels - they'll be there tomorrow. Leave them for your day off cover - he'll leave same quantity for you, with spades on!
It's actually a fun job tho, to be fair, on a deep rural, not like the grief the townies get. Gotta take the rough with the smooth. At least we never once get management bs about targets and whatnot.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
crimson king
- Posts: 783
- Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
Absolutely and amen, totally agreeThis is what *should* be happening, but posties feel under pressure and are bullied into clearing it because they know itll be there the next day.
Nowhere in contract does it says doing overtime is mandatory at christmas, the fact that RM doesnt employ extra people is because they try to do it on the cheap, your hours are your hours, im glad you dont mind going over and doing extra time, for some of us that is not an option or is not desirable. The extra mail at this time of year is NOT our individual problems, it should be staffed accordingly but rarely is.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
-
Delbhoy
- Posts: 87
- Joined: 05 May 2013, 23:10
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
When I first started the senior postys who retired in their 60,s could probably enjoy it but for me I doubt I will make retirement in this job now the demands on the body are too high and if they get there way with having bigger delivery spans will be lucky to get through the next couple of years
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
I'm on a rural, I cut off. I don't care if its there the next day, or the next, if its there for my day off cover, if my day off cover leaves me some with spades - I just leave more.wannabeek wrote:Erm did you misread me? If we don't do it.... it doesn't get done. There is no relief on a deep rural duty.
Ok, so I agree that overtime is voluntary.
So we do it today or... do it tomorrow. Probably no point continuing trying to explain that point.
Been working for RM for 20 years and they don't give a toss about us so I've stopped giving a toss about the job! I work at the speed they want me to, doing the job how they want me too! If the duty is too long for me to complete in the time they pay me for then thats their problem. May sound harsh, but my heath and time with my family are much more important than getting stressed over unachievable workloads!
-
Ralph Wiggum
- Posts: 76
- Joined: 25 Nov 2008, 15:01
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
wannabeek you do not seem to be understanding the point.
Whatever you cannot deliver follow the over running proceedure and cut off.
If as you say your manager does nothing about getting this delivered, inform him/her the next day, you will be following the over running procedure again, and again, and again each and every day.
Eventually the DIM will realize you will not be walked all over and guilt tripped into taking more work than is achievable in your allotted hours.
PS. They will try every emotional blackmail trick in the dims handbook to guilt trip you into taking it all, such as 'dont let YOUR customers down etc.... do not fall for such pathetic managerial propaganda, stand firm and stick up for yourself.
Whatever you cannot deliver follow the over running proceedure and cut off.
If as you say your manager does nothing about getting this delivered, inform him/her the next day, you will be following the over running procedure again, and again, and again each and every day.
Eventually the DIM will realize you will not be walked all over and guilt tripped into taking more work than is achievable in your allotted hours.
PS. They will try every emotional blackmail trick in the dims handbook to guilt trip you into taking it all, such as 'dont let YOUR customers down etc.... do not fall for such pathetic managerial propaganda, stand firm and stick up for yourself.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Physically Exhausted!!!!
It don't sound harsh to me. Sounds bloody perfect to be honestWOBBLY wrote:I'm on a rural, I cut off. I don't care if its there the next day, or the next, if its there for my day off cover, if my day off cover leaves me some with spades - I just leave more.wannabeek wrote:Erm did you misread me? If we don't do it.... it doesn't get done. There is no relief on a deep rural duty.
Ok, so I agree that overtime is voluntary.
So we do it today or... do it tomorrow. Probably no point continuing trying to explain that point.
Been working for RM for 20 years and they don't give a toss about us so I've stopped giving a toss about the job! I work at the speed they want me to, doing the job how they want me too! If the duty is too long for me to complete in the time they pay me for then thats their problem. May sound harsh, but my heath and time with my family are much more important than getting stressed over unachievable workloads!