How long have you been in the employment of RM ?BillyB wrote:Any advice please.
Went on sick, notified line manager by text message(this is how we've always communicated, he's renowned for never answering his phone!). Told him I'd unlikely be at work for the following week and would be seeing my GP. After 4 days off sick saw my GP and was issued a 2 week unfit for work note. Messaged manager straight away to explain I'd be posting GP note in, and he would be receiving it the following day. He never once requested a phone call within this period.
Received a letter the next day from DOM saying my wages had been stopped from the first day off sick, and if I didn't phone DOM within 3 days I could be dismissed. Phoned DOM immediately, and he basically said I hadn't followed procedure, needed to attend a face to face, and suggested he could overrule the GPs note. I asked why he felt he needed to see me, and his answer was, "to resolve the issue".
I explained he had no medical training, knowledge, or qualification and I would be taking my GPs advice only on the matter. After a heated exchange he hung up! I still don't know whether I'll be receiving sick pay...
What happened to duty of care?
You have maintained contact with your line manager by text message informing him of your absence in line with the attendance procedure and trust you have this txt message to support your action.
Unfortunately he can overrule the GP fit note as has been discussed many times on this site and refer you to OH Assist but even then he can ignore their recommendations but leaves himself wide open to compensation claims should you return to work and your medical condition is aggravated.
HR services are now the interface for OH Assist but it doesn.t look as if your manager has been contact with them in assessing your medical condition other than stopping your wages but as you have followed the absence procedure and your manager hasn't this would be classed as unauthorised deduction of wages.
I am assuming the manager you are referring to is your first line manager and I very much doubt he would not hold the authority level to dismiss.
Normally face to face meetings on absence should be at sometime during 28 days of absence but this manager like others is misusing the contents of the attendance procedure to their advantage and not entering in to the spirit of the agreement for which it was intended.
Unaware of what you are absent for but make contact with him and state that you are unable at present due to your illness to comply with a face to face meeting and if a union member inform your union rep of your circumstances.