ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman Jason Steel named Kent Wildlife Trust's Wildlife Photographer of The Year

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman Jason Steel named Kent Wildlife Trust's Wildlife Photographer of The Year

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/ne ... op-135088/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A postman is buzzing after winning a photography competition.

For the past 28 years Jason Steel, 46, has been delivering letters and packages around Dartford, but he can now boast the accolade of Kent Wildlife Trust’s Wildlife Photographer of The Year for his close-up snap of a European hornet.

Mr Steel – who has been taking pictures of wildlife, landscapes and cars for 10 years – found out his picture of a European hornet resting on his wife’s potted cape daisies had won him the award a few weeks ago.

He said: “I’m absolutely delighted. It is very flattering – there are a lot of good photographers.

“I photograph quite a lot of insects. I was looking around my wife’s flowers. We planted quite a lot of flowers last year to attract insects and I saw the hornet in the flowers so I jumped on the floor to get a snap.

“I think what makes that picture is the colour of the plant matches the hornet and the sun was setting as well, so it has a nice glow.”

Mr Steel, who used his Cannon DSLR 7D camera with a macro lens to capture his award-winning shot, also submitted three other entries for the competition, including pictures of great spotted woodpeckers, a shore crab and a speckled bush-cricket.

Image
Jason Steel Kent Wildlife Trust's Wildlife Photographer Of The Year with his picture of a European hornet on a potted Cape Daisy


He added: “I’m very grateful to the support and patience of my family.

“Every time we go out somewhere, I’m always trying to photograph something I have seen.

“I have had a lot of people congratulate me. A lot of people think I should pursue it as a career rather than be a postman.

“I love doing my wildlife photography but I wouldn’t want it to become my job. It would take the joy out of it.

“I try not to get big-headed about it but a lot of people have complimented my photos. I know a lot of photographers that I aspire to be like.”

Jason, from Bexleyheath, is due to pick up his award at a presentation today (Thursday).
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Erith 'Erbert
Posts: 16
Joined: 01 Dec 2010, 12:06
Gender: Male
Location: Erith, Kent. DA8

Postman Jason Steel named Kent Wildlife Trust's Wildlife Photographer of The Year

Post by Erith 'Erbert »

And there was me thinking that no one had seen this article in the Dartford Messenger / Kent Online. It's always nice to get some recognition!

Jason
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Postman Jason Steel named Kent Wildlife Trust's Wildlife Photographer of The Year

Post by Interested-seeker »

Wow!! :Very Happy