ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Speed camera! Damn!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Matty,
But if log books and signing for vans are just distant memories then there's no need to spend our hard earned wages on expensive hair lacquer. :thumbup
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by Deadly »

If you aren't signing for vans or filling in the log book and a fine comes through, the consequences for your manager won't be pretty. And you can guarantee he/she isn't going to want to take the grief on their own.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by Interested-seeker »

Sorry but if it comes to light you should own up to it. It is not fair on other colleagues otherwise.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by Lounge Lizard »

But you can't reasonably own up if you've no recollection of driving the van that day and there's no documentation indicating that you did. :cuppa :thumbup
If that's good enough for Neil and Christine Hamilton http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's good enough for us. :nana
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by yellowbelly »

Lounge Lizard wrote:But you can't reasonably own up if you've no recollection of driving the van that day and there's no documentation indicating that you did. :cuppa :thumbup
If that's good enough for Neil and Christine Hamilton http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's good enough for us. :nana
Surely it's not beyond the comprehension of the majority of RM managers to put together the circumstantial evidence of veh reg, time, location,
who was allocated the duty that day to work out who was driving. Even if RM don't bubble you for speeding isn't non-completion
of vehicle log book etc. a disciplinary offence of some sort?

Even worse if it was a van share are you going to put your colleague under pressure to deny who was or wasn't driving.
You could both be up s**t creek without a paddle then.

Don't think RM even have to prove guilt 'beyond reasonable doubt' do they?

Was the speed camera monitoring as you approached? Some photos include the image of the driver....
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by Lounge Lizard »

yellowbelly wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:But you can't reasonably own up if you've no recollection of driving the van that day and there's no documentation indicating that you did. :cuppa :thumbup
If that's good enough for Neil and Christine Hamilton http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it's good enough for us. :nana
Surely it's not beyond the comprehension of the majority of RM managers to put together the circumstantial evidence of veh reg, time, location,
who was allocated the duty that day to work out who was driving. Even if RM don't bubble you for speeding isn't non-completion
of vehicle log book etc. a disciplinary offence of some sort?

Even worse if it was a van share are you going to put your colleague under pressure to deny who was or wasn't driving.
You could both be up s**t creek without a paddle then.

Don't think RM even have to prove guilt 'beyond reasonable doubt' do they?

Was the speed camera monitoring as you approached? Some photos include the image of the driver....
With "beyond the comprehension of the majority of RM managers" you obviously have more confidence in their ability than I do. :roll:
"Non-completion of vehicle log book etc." is in my experience taken no more seriously than non completion of the dozen or more checks that are meant to be done daily but never are. :cuppa
I very much doubt if my van share partner will have any better memory of that day than me, or than the Hamiltons did all those years ago :silenced
and that's a bit like not being sure who lost a bag of mail https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/d ... ayout/amp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :thumbup :cuppa
Yes, "some photos include the image of the driver" but I'm fortunate that my van share partner bears a remarkable resemblance to my twin brother. :thumbup :Very Happy
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by NewPostieUK »

nickbsmooth wrote:ACPO guidelines for prosecution 10% +2mph =35mph, as others have stated the Speedo will over read by anything up to 10%.
So you may have only been doing 32mph.
The force can prosecute at 31mph but I've yet to hear of anyone being done.
I got stung doing 37 in a 30 about 3yrs ago, I was offered a SAC ,it was £84 and no points on the license.
I got flashed two fridays running by a Gatso. I was in a strange village and thought I'd left the 30 zone. I got 3 points and £60 fine (it was a few years ago) for each.

I was doing 32 and 33 MPH.

On a positive note, my speedo was showing 36 or 37 MPH so OP might get away with it. It's true they aren't very accurate at all, and always read over (rather than under).
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by Lounge Lizard »

NewPostieUK wrote:
nickbsmooth wrote:ACPO guidelines for prosecution 10% +2mph =35mph, as others have stated the Speedo will over read by anything up to 10%.
So you may have only been doing 32mph.
The force can prosecute at 31mph but I've yet to hear of anyone being done.
I got stung doing 37 in a 30 about 3yrs ago, I was offered a SAC ,it was £84 and no points on the license.
I got flashed two fridays running by a Gatso. I was in a strange village and thought I'd left the 30 zone. I got 3 points and £60 fine (it was a few years ago) for each.

I was doing 32 and 33 MPH.

On a positive note, my speedo was showing 36 or 37 MPH so OP might get away with it. It's true they aren't very accurate at all, and always read over (rather than under).
On the second Friday did you not remember getting flashed on the first Friday ?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by NewPostieUK »

Lounge Lizard wrote: On the second Friday did you not remember getting flashed on the first Friday ?
No. :shock:

I didn't know I'd been flashed the first friday. The second friday I saw the flash and when I got home there was the letter of intended prosecution!

Bloody hell that was quick I said.

Seven days later. . .the other pops through the letterbox.

OK stop laughing now. :left:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by Lounge Lizard »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote: On the second Friday did you not remember getting flashed on the first Friday ?
No. :shock:

I didn't know I'd been flashed the first friday. The second friday I saw the flash and when I got home there was the letter of intended prosecution!

Bloody hell that was quick I said.

Seven days later. . .the other pops through the letterbox.

OK stop laughing now. :left:
But what other than a flash made you look to see you were doing 32 on the first Friday ? :cuppa
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by NewPostieUK »

Lounge Lizard wrote: But what other than a flash made you look to see you were doing 32 on the first Friday ? :cuppa
I didn't look the first friday.

The second friday I saw the flash and looked and was doing nearly 40.

I found out I'd been doing 32 and 33 when I got the fixed penalty notices.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by Lounge Lizard »

NewPostieUK wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote: But what other than a flash made you look to see you were doing 32 on the first Friday ? :cuppa
I didn't look the first friday.

The second friday I saw the flash and looked and was doing nearly 40.

I found out I'd been doing 32 and 33 when I got the fixed penalty notices.
Ah, my mistake, I see now. :arrrghhh
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by nickbsmooth »

It's illegal to have a Speedo that under reads.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Speed camera! Damn!

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

nickbsmooth wrote:It's illegal to have a Speedo that under reads.
Correct

The UK law is based on the EU standard, with some minor changes. A speedo must never show less than the actual speed, and must never show more than 110% of actual speed + 6.25mph. So if your true speed is 40mph, your speedo could legally be reading up to 50.25mph but never less than 40mph. Or to put it another way, if your speedo is reading 50mph, you won’t be doing more than 50mph but it’s possible you might actually only be travelling at 40mph.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.