ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Morning overtime
-
K1306
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 06 Nov 2017, 09:37
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
Hello,
I have been hired as a part time member of staff. I have been informed of my starting hours but have somehow ended up working 40 hours a week which is something that I want to cut back on. I am being paid for the earlier hours, but I am unsure how I go about asking to start at the hour I am contracted to do.
Do I have to work the overtime because of the clause (9.2) in the contract that says “royal Mail has the responsibility of proving a public service. This puts a special obligation on all employees to play their part in maintaining the kind of service that public has a right to expect. The nature of the service makes a measure of overtime working necessary. For this reason, it is a condition of your employment that you are liable to work overtime and to attend varying times on any day (including weekends, bank and public holidays) as the needs of the service demands.
Overtime pay will be assessed in accordance with your business units pay directive, which you can gain acsss to by contacting your manager”
Does this mean that I am forced to work the morning hours to sort the mail to suit my manager/ royal mail’s needs. Could someone clarify what this means and what kind of overtime I am expected to do?
Thanks for your help
I have been hired as a part time member of staff. I have been informed of my starting hours but have somehow ended up working 40 hours a week which is something that I want to cut back on. I am being paid for the earlier hours, but I am unsure how I go about asking to start at the hour I am contracted to do.
Do I have to work the overtime because of the clause (9.2) in the contract that says “royal Mail has the responsibility of proving a public service. This puts a special obligation on all employees to play their part in maintaining the kind of service that public has a right to expect. The nature of the service makes a measure of overtime working necessary. For this reason, it is a condition of your employment that you are liable to work overtime and to attend varying times on any day (including weekends, bank and public holidays) as the needs of the service demands.
Overtime pay will be assessed in accordance with your business units pay directive, which you can gain acsss to by contacting your manager”
Does this mean that I am forced to work the morning hours to sort the mail to suit my manager/ royal mail’s needs. Could someone clarify what this means and what kind of overtime I am expected to do?
Thanks for your help
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
it's up to you whether or not you do overtime. managers cant force you to start early. if your start time is 8am and you want to start at that time thats your decision they cant force you to start 6.30am or 7am or whatever
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
who the f**k do these dims think they areK1306 wrote:Hello,
I have been hired as a part time member of staff. I have been informed of my starting hours but have somehow ended up working 40 hours a week which is something that I want to cut back on. I am being paid for the earlier hours, but I am unsure how I go about asking to start at the hour I am contracted to do.
Do I have to work the overtime because of the clause (9.2) in the contract that says “royal Mail has the responsibility of proving a public service. This puts a special obligation on all employees to play their part in maintaining the kind of service that public has a right to expect. The nature of the service makes a measure of overtime working necessary. For this reason, it is a condition of your employment that you are liable to work overtime and to attend varying times on any day (including weekends, bank and public holidays) as the needs of the service demands.
Overtime pay will be assessed in accordance with your business units pay directive, which you can gain acsss to by contacting your manager”
Does this mean that I am forced to work the morning hours to sort the mail to suit my manager/ royal mail’s needs. Could someone clarify what this means and what kind of overtime I am expected to do?
Thanks for your help
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
They don’t pay you holiday pay for them extra hours so tell them no thanks
-
K1306
- Posts: 3
- Joined: 06 Nov 2017, 09:37
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
Thanks guys!
It’s annoying because I was told on my second day to come in early and then they assumed (and myself, foolishly) that I was going to overtime everyday, Which is really not suited to my family commitments. The contact confused me because I thought I had to do it. I’ll have a word with the manager tomorrow.
Thanks again
It’s annoying because I was told on my second day to come in early and then they assumed (and myself, foolishly) that I was going to overtime everyday, Which is really not suited to my family commitments. The contact confused me because I thought I had to do it. I’ll have a word with the manager tomorrow.
Thanks again
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
I would imagine that clause would not stand up in an industrial tribunal. It is too ambiguous and gives Royal Mail control of your life 7days a week 24 hours a day. It does not provide any detail of what notice you will be given and therefore does not take into account any personal arrangements or appointments that you have.
I would talk to your manager and provide him with details of hours that you are prepared to work if any over and above the contracted hours that you have. If you are willing to do some overtime, put in writing what those hours are and make him aware that for personal reasons you are not able to assist outside of those confines.
I would talk to your manager and provide him with details of hours that you are prepared to work if any over and above the contracted hours that you have. If you are willing to do some overtime, put in writing what those hours are and make him aware that for personal reasons you are not able to assist outside of those confines.
-
siddy
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 12 Apr 2011, 20:50
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
ot agreement
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
Looks like there is a bloomer on that CWU statement.siddy wrote:ot agreement
It talks about overtime not being paid by some managers, then goes on to say that it is not unlawful?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Morning overtime
Unfortunately they are correctLincox wrote:Looks like there is a bloomer on that CWU statement.siddy wrote:ot agreement
It talks about overtime not being paid by some managers, then goes on to say that it is not unlawful?
So it is not unlawful, but its against our contract of employment which makes is illegal.Overtime pay
Employers don’t have to pay workers for overtime. However, employees’ average pay for the total hours worked mustn’t fall below the National Minimum Wage.
(There is a legal difference between Unlawful (not authorized by law) and illegal (forbidden by law), but it is a narrow definition).
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
mucker161
- Posts: 24
- Joined: 04 May 2010, 17:02
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
Sorry to post this here, if it is in the wrong post then please forgive me.
On 9th August 2017, both myself and another staff member signed for a shared van duty of 35hrs. This duty was advertised within the office and was available for everyone to sign. Since then we have not been placed on the duty nor have we had our contracts moved from 30 to 35. Can anyone help me find out if there is any quick way of getting these contracts sorted out and if so are we eligible to claim back-dated pay?
On 9th August 2017, both myself and another staff member signed for a shared van duty of 35hrs. This duty was advertised within the office and was available for everyone to sign. Since then we have not been placed on the duty nor have we had our contracts moved from 30 to 35. Can anyone help me find out if there is any quick way of getting these contracts sorted out and if so are we eligible to claim back-dated pay?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Morning overtime
Get the Union involved if you are in the CWU, however, you'll probably need to put in a grievance to get anything sorted.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
gary1975
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
Basically your Dom would rather pay morning overtime instead of making somebody full time to save money. so much for the agenda for growth agreement.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Morning overtime
Which cost's the part timer full holiday pay and sick pay as the will be on basic pay not the hour's they normally work!gary1975 wrote:Basically your Dom would rather pay morning overtime instead of making somebody full time to save money. so much for the agenda for growth agreement.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Morning overtime
It took me months to get on my duty after I'd signed for it. Sickness, holidays, people leaving etc all meant I was needed on other duties. Not much you can do.mucker161 wrote:Sorry to post this here, if it is in the wrong post then please forgive me.
On 9th August 2017, both myself and another staff member signed for a shared van duty of 35hrs. This duty was advertised within the office and was available for everyone to sign. Since then we have not been placed on the duty nor have we had our contracts moved from 30 to 35. Can anyone help me find out if there is any quick way of getting these contracts sorted out and if so are we eligible to claim back-dated pay?
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Morning overtime
That's not just applicable to part timers by the way. Some full timers, particularly rurals, do 6+ hrs overtime a week just to complete their full time walks too.k979aaa wrote:Which cost's the part timer full holiday pay and sick pay as the will be on basic pay not the hour's they normally work!gary1975 wrote:Basically your Dom would rather pay morning overtime instead of making somebody full time to save money. so much for the agenda for growth agreement.