ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you take your meal relief ???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

seaside wrote:So legally 6 hours and you are allowed a 20 min break, Victorian times spring to mind. should be max 3 hours and then 20 minutes break. hopefully unions of all workers should look into this. :thumbdown
It is 3 hours work and 20 minutes break - Kind off.

The actual rules say that anyone working or expecting to work 6 hours (or more) is entitled to a Statutory break of 20 minutes and that the break should be somewhere in the middle of the working day.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
seaside
Posts: 266
Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
Gender: Female

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by seaside »

At the moment we get 40 minutes for an 8 hour day, should be at least an hour. would be nice if the union was able to get an hour while in the talks. seems royal mail always wants more and more be nice if we could get something. don't think an hour break working all day is much to asked for.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by gb93 »

I will happily stick to 40 mins but with a 35 hour week which the union is fighting for
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by k979aaa »

gb93 wrote:I will happily stick to 40 mins but with a 35 hour week which the union is fighting for
I am afraid you would need to renegotiate the way forward agreement for that as it would be less than 7 hours and 1 minute so 30 minutes meal relief but a 35 hour week without loss of pay is still a big gain over just 50 minutes a week think about it.
seaside
Posts: 266
Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
Gender: Female

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by seaside »

Well if the union cant get us down to 35 hours, then 1 hour break should be a minimal but would prefer 35 hour week, like some other companies have.
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by gb93 »

k979aaa wrote:
gb93 wrote:I will happily stick to 40 mins but with a 35 hour week which the union is fighting for
I am afraid you would need to renegotiate the way forward agreement for that as it would be less than 7 hours and 1 minute so 30 minutes meal relief but a 35 hour week without loss of pay is still a big gain over just 50 minutes a week think about it.
Very much doubt it would mean delivery staff doing standard 7 hour day. Longs & shorts so would think least 3 days a week would be over the 7 hours 1 minute.
That said yes I would settle for 30 min paid meal relief on a 35 hour week for no loss of pay.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by Seymour Buts »

Smoke 2 or 3 fags in the morning complete with cups of coffee which is my 20 minutes. Don't really take a break out on duty, I never take a packed lunch to work or anything but I do smoke another 2 or 3 fags so I consider that my meal relief.
thekiddykid
Posts: 116
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by thekiddykid »

Yes I usually take mine around halfway round my duty. I also hide the van so as I can eat my lunch in peace :Very Happy Then I don't have to listen to " anything for me today" from every passing customer :d'oh!
yellowbelly
Posts: 3731
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by yellowbelly »

thekiddykid wrote:Yes I usually take mine around halfway round my duty. I also hide the van so as I can eat my lunch in peace :Very Happy Then I don't have to listen to " anything for me today" from every passing customer :d'oh!
Or "Do you know where 'The Cottage, High Street is mate'" from 'couriers' in battered white vans or private cars.
Glp28357
Posts: 85
Joined: 16 May 2017, 22:27
Gender: Male

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by Glp28357 »

Any tips for taking meal relief when your walk is just housing estates with only your HCT for company? No pubs, cafes or even a park bench. Having a van to sit in would be a luxury! If I wanted to return to the depot, just walking there and back would be an hour's walk, which would be worse than having no break at all!
Last edited by Glp28357 on 07 Nov 2017, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
vastus35
Posts: 11
Joined: 21 Nov 2014, 16:47
Gender: Male

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by vastus35 »

postietom wrote:Smoke 2 or 3 fags in the morning complete with cups of coffee which is my 20 minutes. Don't really take a break out on duty, I never take a packed lunch to work or anything but I do smoke another 2 or 3 fags so I consider that my meal relief.
Revolting.... :thumbdown :thumbdown
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by Creditshampoo »

Hate the fact this thread even exists. People who don’t take it are doing exactly what the business want.
They’ll be coming for our paid breaks soon.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by cpsteve »

You have to be careful if you never take breaks that becomes your normal working day so during a strike you will be expected to work as normal or it can be said to be unofficial action if you use that as a reason to cut off.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by MissKazzyB »

After reading all your replies, I’ve decided that from tomorrow I’m goibg to take my meal relief half way round my duty every day.
I am abit worried that I won’t be able to complete in time though & what will happen to me if it happens every day. I am a reserve so I don’t know what duty I’m on from one week to the next & if it’s one I’m not familiar with. I finish at 2 but can go over by half hour only as have the school run to do. I’m still on probation, have my review in a few weeks times but that’s if I get one as I never formally had my 3 month one.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Do you take your meal relief ???

Post by Interested-seeker »

MissKazzyB wrote:After reading all your replies, I’ve decided that from tomorrow I’m goibg to take my meal relief half way round my duty every day.
I am abit worried that I won’t be able to complete in time though & what will happen to me if it happens every day. I am a reserve so I don’t know what duty I’m on from one week to the next & if it’s one I’m not familiar with. I finish at 2 but can go over by half hour only as have the school run to do. I’m still on probation, have my review in a few weeks times but that’s if I get one as I never formally had my 3 month one.
Hi,

Good for you. Good luck with it, stand your ground and let us know how you get on. :thumbup