ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Do you take your meal relief ???
-
bensonhedge
- Posts: 448
- Joined: 15 Mar 2010, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
Yes at home when I'm done!
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
when i started - no there was no real need, we were finish so early anyway. Nowadays, yes everyday, i feel so much better for it than working straight through.
-
kingeric
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
There's some truth in this.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:When I first started I never took my breaksBUt thats par for the course, peer and managerial pressure kind of make you feel as though you are stealing sweets from their children.
I also used to think I wouldn't finish on time. However, since I started taking my break about half way round I find that I actually tend to do the 2nd half quicker than the first as I have refuelled and am charged up ready to go. On average I think I finish about 10 minutes later than I would without taking 20 minutes in the middle and 20 minutes just before we leave.
When you know your break is coming up you put a bit of extra effort in knowing you are getting a rest and some food. When we have had our break we find we aren't that far behind those that haven't had a break. Then we make the time up on delivery where they are probably getting a bit tired.
Delivery definitely takes longer on the very rare occasions I don't have a break.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
I agree, walk 20% faster and you could typically be finished up to an hour earlier. Big difference.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
Yes. Because I’m entitled to it and it’s the law.
Booking it instead is what the business want, if you ha e an accident they’ll turn it around on you.
Don’t run yourself into the ground
Booking it instead is what the business want, if you ha e an accident they’ll turn it around on you.
Don’t run yourself into the ground
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
yes everyday without fail , a sit down to recharge for the second part so why wouldn't you take a break ? ive worked with people who carry on working while I'm sat in the van having my break
, but they don't get done any quicker 
-
seaside
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
- Gender: Female
Do you take your meal relief ???
On a 8 hour day what is the legal amount of time by law for a break 
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
that's a bit harsh mate, she has only been in the job 5 months, and it's obviously the culture in this office to forego breaks (more fool them).tonytucker wrote:Well cut off then or book overtime ,its because of this the job is f****dMissKazzyB wrote:Just curious as to whether you take your meal relief everyday or not.
If you do.....Why ?
If you don’t....Why ?
Since I started 5 months or so ago, I think I have only taken my meal relief a handful of times. I claim the time instead.
If I was to take my meal relief then I probably wouldn’t be able to complete so I just carry on working so u can get it all done.
It's a lot easier to cut off and go against the office culture when you are established in the job, rather than when you are a newbie, with the threat of contracts not being extended if you don't buy into this 'culture'.........
'Libraries gave us power'
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
same here and if you don't finish then bring what you don't do back. Whats the problem.WOBBLY wrote:Yup, I take 20 mins while I'm out, in the same spot every dayEnough time to have my butties and flask of coffee. The other 20 mins gets taken off the end.
Then the runners who get in early have to take out the lapsing and cut off when they come back.
-
Glenno
- Posts: 1491
- Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12
Do you take your meal relief ???
The meal relief is there for a reason, by law you must take it, the fact that we are paid for it doe's compromise things a little, when working in factories etc, it is all spelt out for you, even Mail Centres there is a plan, but Deliveries is a different ball game , why I don't know, early finish springs to mind, but imagine this, if the Company was to take this away from you what would you do? The Union have fought for this and it has been granted, so why would you want to throw this away, beggars belief really, as a full timer my contract is 7hrs 48mins per day, of which 40 mins are a paid meal relief, so I only have to work 7hrs & 8 mins per day, WHY GIVE THIS RIGHT AWAY

-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
If you don't use it, you lose it! We work for a brutal employer that are constantly looking at ways to improve our efficiency - both indoors and outdoors
We used to have a canteen that served hot food and breakfast - but it's gone now. And because of this I tend to take my break outdoors in the van.
We used to have a canteen that served hot food and breakfast - but it's gone now. And because of this I tend to take my break outdoors in the van.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
20 minutes is the legal break allowance for a shift of 6 hours or more. This can be paid or unpaid.seaside wrote:On a 8 hour day what is the legal amount of time by law for a break
-
phillpk1
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 13 Nov 2013, 01:27
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
always -no matter how much pressure put on me :the only concession i give management is that the time i take it which can vary as im indoor with the occasional
delivery
we should always remember -- if you try to book it management will tell you use it or loose it they we dont believe you havent taken it
we should always remember -- if you try to book it management will tell you use it or loose it they we dont believe you havent taken it
-
Jamie162
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 20:18
- Gender: Male
Do you take your meal relief ???
It’s the law after 6 hours work
-
seaside
- Posts: 266
- Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
- Gender: Female
Do you take your meal relief ???
So legally 6 hours and you are allowed a 20 min break, Victorian times spring to mind. should be max 3 hours and then 20 minutes break. hopefully unions of all workers should look into this. 