ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Wage slips

Got a question for a CWU Rep? And all CWU related matters.
Grant_j
Posts: 5
Joined: 31 Jul 2017, 20:36
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by Grant_j »

Hi, I started work on the Tuesday 12th of September. I received my first wage slip on Thursday the 14th. I'm just wondering what days does your wage slip include?
That might not make sense so i'll write down my diary i have kept of my hours and then try and explain better..

I received my first wage slip on Thursday 14/09:

It says on my wage slip 'Basic Pay: 19 Hours - £180.78'

Here is what i have worked since i started:

Mon -----------------------
Tues 12/09: 7 Hours
Wed 13/09: 5 Hours 10 mins
Thurs 14/09: 6 Hours 30 mins
Fri 15/09: 5 Hours 20 mins
Sat 16/09: 6 Hours 30 mins
Sun -----------------------

I work out that if my first wage slip reads 'Payment Date: 15/09' and reads 19 hours then Mon-Thurs is only included on my wage slip? (and I work out Mon-Thurs that would be 18.7 hours so thats basically correct). But how would they know how many hours i worked on Thursday to be able to process it for the following day?

So when would i get paid for Friday and Saturday of this week? I must be doing something wrong here as my next wage slip cant be from Friday the 15th until Thursday 21st can it?

I received my second wage slip this Thursday 21/09:

It says on my wage slip 'Basic Pay: 24 Hours - £228.35'

Here are my next days that i did:

Mon 18/09: 7 Hours
Tuesday 19/09: 7 Hours 10 mins
Wednesday ----------------
Thursday 21/09: 9 Hours 30 mins
Friday 22/09: 8 Hours 55 mins
Saturday TOMORROW: ---------------

I work out that if my second wage slip reads 'Payment Date: 22/09' and reads 24 hours then LastFri-Wed is only included on my second wage slip? (and I work out LastFri-ThisWed that would be 26 hours so thats underpaid by 2 hours?). But then the hours i worked today.. when do i get them?

I hope someone can help, I have only put all this info as i don't think it will make sense to anyone. I'm probably being stupid but if it can be explained to me then i can keep track and make sure I'm never underpaid.
Janet Brum
Posts: 886
Joined: 28 Sep 2016, 19:52
Gender: Female

Wage slips

Post by Janet Brum »

Hi, you get paid for the hours on your contract every week on Friday, even if you work on Saturday, they assume you will work your contracted hours, for example 5/day.
If you go over in a day by 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc, you have to tell your manager next day in the morning and you will get paid for that overtime one week later.
All overtime hours are send to HR every Tuesday, so if you do OT from Tuesday till Saturday, you will get that OT pay one week later.
If you don`t tell your manager how much you went overtime, he won`t know and won`t pay you.
Also note your daily worked hours on a calendar (I even make a note of what walks I do each day) and every Friday check how much OT you got paid or not, if is the later, just tell your manager you didn`t get your xx OT hours for xx day.
I hope this helps, also reading this forum helps a lot :dance

LE. Don`t forget to add 20 or 30 minutes (depending how many hours you work) for your break on top of the extra hours you work, unless you actually take your break :)
Grant_j
Posts: 5
Joined: 31 Jul 2017, 20:36
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by Grant_j »

Janet Brum wrote:Hi, you get paid for the hours on your contract every week on Friday, even if you work on Saturday, they assume you will work your contracted hours, for example 5/day.
If you go over in a day by 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc, you have to tell your manager next day in the morning and you will get paid for that overtime one week later.
All overtime hours are send to HR every Tuesday, so if you do OT from Tuesday till Saturday, you will get that OT pay one week later.
If you don`t tell your manager how much you went overtime, he won`t know and won`t pay you.
Also note your daily worked hours on a calendar (I even make a note of what walks I do each day) and every Friday check how much OT you got paid or not, if is the later, just tell your manager you didn`t get your xx OT hours for xx day.
I hope this helps, also reading this forum helps a lot :dance

LE. Don`t forget to add 20 or 30 minutes (depending how many hours you work) for your break on top of the extra hours you work, unless you actually take your break :)
Thankyou for that, that makes a bit more sense. The hours i wrote down above are with my overtime included though.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Wage slips

Post by Lounge Lizard »

A business might be expected to tell a new starter how and when they will be paid :thumbup but, no, it's just fortunate that a wealth of knowledge and experience has accumulated on here for whoever needs it. :Very Happy :cuppa
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by The Postman »

Presuming you are on a 24 hour contract, as you were only paid 19 hours for your first week it looks like you were not paid your initial training day by the office you work at. Double check this with your manager. However, your first week you are only paid your contracted hours so should have received 24 hours pay. On your wage slip Contracted hours and overtime is split so on your second pay slip you should have received 24 hours basic plus 6.5 hours overtime from the previous week. On your third wage slip you should have 24 hours basic and just over 8.5 hours overtime. If your not on a 24 hour contract you can adjust accordingly.

Also, worth noting is that the more hours you work in a day the more breaks your entitled to, so if you haven't taken them then you need to remember and include them in your overtime.

It looks like you work 4 hours 48 minutes per day so you would be entitled to a 20 minute break per day. Unless your office does long and shorts which is usually a shorter day on a Tuesday and longer hours for example on a Wednesday and Thursday which may take you over 5 hours on those days which would give you another 10 minute break or to add as overtime if you didn't take it.

Over 5 hours is 30 minutes break
Over 7 hours is 40 minutes break
Over 9 hours is 50 minutes break

It's really important that YOU take or add the extra meal entitlement to your overtime before submitting it to your manager as they won't add it accordingly.

And remember to double check you were paid for your training day, you may be owed 7 hours.
Grant_j
Posts: 5
Joined: 31 Jul 2017, 20:36
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by Grant_j »

Thank for the info. So still struggling to work out when the wage slips are calculated from. i.e when is the cut off day? I forgot to come back on here and look at my replies but i will check about my induction day tomorrow. Thankyou
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by telithowitis »

I also claimed return mileage from my usual delivery office to the training centre DO for the training day!!
mr hil.
Posts: 421
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 18:22
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by mr hil. »

You are paid each week for your contracted hours for that week and any extra hours are paid a week in arrears. The cut off day is Sunday in deliveries.
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by Smir »

The Postman wrote:Over 5 hours is 30 minutes break
Over 7 hours is 40 minutes break
Over 9 hours is 50 minutes break
anywhere official on this? I struggle to claim back 15/20 minutes some days.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16692
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Wage slips

Post by clashcityrocker »

Attendance length total breaks probable pattern

Less than 2 hours 30 minutes none (a 10 min grace break should be provided if work permits)
2 hours 30 to 3 hours 10 mins 10
3 hours 1 to 3 hours 30 15 mins 15
3 hours 31 to 4 hours 59 20 mins 20
5 hours to 7 hours 30 mins 30
7 hours 1 to 8 hours 59 40 mins 40 or 20 + 20
9 hours to 10 hours 59 50 mins 30 + 20
11 hours to 12 hours 59 60 mins 40 + 20 or 30 + 30
13 hours or longer 70 mins 40 + 30

The Way Forward agreement.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by crimson king »

clashcityrocker wrote:Attendance length total breaks probable pattern

Less than 2 hours 30 minutes none (a 10 min grace break should be provided if work permits)
2 hours 30 to 3 hours 10 mins 10
3 hours 1 to 3 hours 30 15 mins 15
3 hours 31 to 4 hours 59 20 mins 20
5 hours to 7 hours 30 mins 30
7 hours 1 to 8 hours 59 40 mins 40 or 20 + 20
9 hours to 10 hours 59 50 mins 30 + 20
11 hours to 12 hours 59 60 mins 40 + 20 or 30 + 30
13 hours or longer 70 mins 40 + 30

The Way Forward agreement.
I'm glad I found this place. No one's told me this, with the exception of one old timer I worked with one day who told me to stick another half hour on before going home. I thought I was just partaking in a cheeky fiddle :whistle , but this is obviously what he meant.

This is the stuff I could have done with learning on my first couple of days rather than watching all those videos....

Now I know, that's the last free time RM get out of me.
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Wage slips

Post by Creditshampoo »

Sorry to hijack but can anyone provide me with the document which states if an employee is underpaid then management can do a same day bank transfer?