ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
-
wookie
- Posts: 319
- Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
Bring back the yearly re-sign. If you sign for a rubbish walk you know you have to tough it out for a year.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
can tell who the newer starters are who hate seniority, the thing is those with seniority and the "better" duties have had to go through years of crap to get where they are now. Its a reward for sticking through it, and someday if the newer people give it long enough they will be rewarded the same way.
-
scoobymunster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
Can you honestly say being a new starter now is the same as it was being one 10+ years ago? Times have changed drastically, and not for the better. Our book keeper would occasionally struggle to find someone who knew a vacant duty well enough, now he struggles just getting bodies on the duties!Postie45 wrote:can tell who the newer starters are who hate seniority, the thing is those with seniority and the "better" duties have had to go through years of crap to get where they are now. Its a reward for sticking through it, and someday if the newer people give it long enough they will be rewarded the same way.
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
There are pros and cons depending on how well the office is run.scoobymunster wrote:Can you honestly say being a new starter now is the same as it was being one 10+ years ago? Times have changed drastically, and not for the better. Our book keeper would occasionally struggle to find someone who knew a vacant duty well enough, now he struggles just getting bodies on the duties!Postie45 wrote:can tell who the newer starters are who hate seniority, the thing is those with seniority and the "better" duties have had to go through years of crap to get where they are now. Its a reward for sticking through it, and someday if the newer people give it long enough they will be rewarded the same way.
There is sequenced mail for starters, no more spending 3 hrs staring blankly at a frame.
If you have P&L you have a partner who should at least have a working knowledge of the delivery, no more standing on street corners wondering why the mail goes from 25 to 42.
You have far more interesting duty patterns, no more flat 6 day weeks with only Sunday as your day off.
Our new starts now tend to stay on the same duty for at least 6 months, I got 3 days on a duty then it was off on the wheel of misfortune.
Holiday pick is much fairer, as a new start we got the crumbs for the first 10 years.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Wednesday
- Posts: 143
- Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 16:40
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
Draw numbers out of the hat every year like the FA cup,first the two walks then the duty holders,would be hilarious!
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
I've never seen a new starter do 6 months on one walk and I've worked in a couple of offices! Lucky if they are on the same walk for one week at a time.fishtank wrote:There are pros and cons depending on how well the office is run.scoobymunster wrote:Can you honestly say being a new starter now is the same as it was being one 10+ years ago? Times have changed drastically, and not for the better. Our book keeper would occasionally struggle to find someone who knew a vacant duty well enough, now he struggles just getting bodies on the duties!Postie45 wrote:can tell who the newer starters are who hate seniority, the thing is those with seniority and the "better" duties have had to go through years of crap to get where they are now. Its a reward for sticking through it, and someday if the newer people give it long enough they will be rewarded the same way.
There is sequenced mail for starters, no more spending 3 hrs staring blankly at a frame.
If you have P&L you have a partner who should at least have a working knowledge of the delivery, no more standing on street corners wondering why the mail goes from 25 to 42.
You have far more interesting duty patterns, no more flat 6 day weeks with only Sunday as your day off.
Our new starts now tend to stay on the same duty for at least 6 months, I got 3 days on a duty then it was off on the wheel of misfortune.
Holiday pick is much fairer, as a new start we got the crumbs for the first 10 years.
-
DGH
- Posts: 710
- Joined: 13 Dec 2014, 18:04
- Gender: Male
- Location: Neither here nor there
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
I have 19 years in, so I doubt your premise, me old muckerPostie45 wrote:can tell who the newer starters are who hate seniority, the thing is those with seniority and the "better" duties have had to go through years of crap to get where they are now. Its a reward for sticking through it, and someday if the newer people give it long enough they will be rewarded the same way.
-
ddtc
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
I suppose I'm a new starter, 5yrs now and luckily a full time and a reserve.
I get seniority but I think it needs to be scrapped. All walks should be equalised, and then who cares what walk you are on.
I really do get fed up of being drag into pointless arguements of who has got the easy walk or hard walk. We are our own worst enemy as has been said.
Also I do not know if it is just my office but can we sort out the fittings on every walk so it actually ties up to how you would do the walk? I hate seeing new starters struggling to tie up because fittings are incorrect and all over the place. Its not fair as it is not for them to sort is it?
Again equalise all walks and who would care.
If I have hit a nerve with anyone, I apologise but I see both sides of it. Lets just work together and not be divided by the big wigs at the top who clearly don't have a clue how to run the business
I get seniority but I think it needs to be scrapped. All walks should be equalised, and then who cares what walk you are on.
I really do get fed up of being drag into pointless arguements of who has got the easy walk or hard walk. We are our own worst enemy as has been said.
Also I do not know if it is just my office but can we sort out the fittings on every walk so it actually ties up to how you would do the walk? I hate seeing new starters struggling to tie up because fittings are incorrect and all over the place. Its not fair as it is not for them to sort is it?
Again equalise all walks and who would care.
If I have hit a nerve with anyone, I apologise but I see both sides of it. Lets just work together and not be divided by the big wigs at the top who clearly don't have a clue how to run the business
-
anthonyok
- Posts: 81
- Joined: 13 Oct 2007, 17:53
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
Well said postie 45, When we started we never had the luxury of vans , we cycled in freezing conditions and always started on the walks , i know some new started get straight on rurals from the word go.scoobymunster wrote:Can you honestly say being a new starter now is the same as it was being one 10+ years ago? Times have changed drastically, and not for the better. Our book keeper would occasionally struggle to find someone who knew a vacant duty well enough, now he struggles just getting bodies on the duties!Postie45 wrote:can tell who the newer starters are who hate seniority, the thing is those with seniority and the "better" duties have had to go through years of crap to get where they are now. Its a reward for sticking through it, and someday if the newer people give it long enough they will be rewarded the same way.
-
joewyan
- Posts: 382
- Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
I'm a postie with 7 years behind me now and a part time (by choice) reserve having had my own walk in a previous office.ddtc wrote:I suppose I'm a new starter, 5yrs now and luckily a full time and a reserve.
I get seniority but I think it needs to be scrapped. All walks should be equalised, and then who cares what walk you are on.
I really do get fed up of being drag into pointless arguements of who has got the easy walk or hard walk. We are our own worst enemy as has been said.
Also I do not know if it is just my office but can we sort out the fittings on every walk so it actually ties up to how you would do the walk? I hate seeing new starters struggling to tie up because fittings are incorrect and all over the place. Its not fair as it is not for them to sort is it?
Again equalise all walks and who would care.
If I have hit a nerve with anyone, I apologise but I see both sides of it. Lets just work together and not be divided by the big wigs at the top who clearly don't have a clue how to run the business
All walks should be more equal but it's never going to happen, the planners and managers try to get them equal but some of the duty holders kick off and moan and eventually these deliveries get changed as part of a full depot re-sign. Therefore very difficult to ever get equal deliveries. Plus so many deliveries have growth that it's difficult to stay equal for long.
The frames can easily be sorted out to tie up correctly if the duty holder wants them to but again many people will tie up duties in different ways so that won't always work either.
Seniority is the best way still in my opinion as they have experienced being at the bottom.
-
sweepster70
- Posts: 500
- Joined: 24 Jul 2017, 23:16
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
19 years, your still a baby. You need over 30 to get early's where I work.DGH wrote:I have 19 years in, so I doubt your premise, me old muckerPostie45 wrote:can tell who the newer starters are who hate seniority, the thing is those with seniority and the "better" duties have had to go through years of crap to get where they are now. Its a reward for sticking through it, and someday if the newer people give it long enough they will be rewarded the same way.
As the OP said "People just don't like change" That includes the people we post to, who would prefer to see the same postman/woman posting to their house. God forbid, the amount of missorts they'd get with a change every 3 months.
-
Homer
- Posts: 57
- Joined: 05 May 2007, 09:55
- Location: Burslem
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
I've been in this job well over 30 years and was a leave reserve for many years sometimes being put on 3 or 4 different duties in one week, my first 6 months in this job I did a different duty every week, if you had van to run you out that van didn't wait for you, if you were not on by 7 it went same on the way back, first 10 plus years of holidays was either beginning of May or September.
Posties then were in sections which was 3 or 4 walks and you rotated on those walks, RM chose to change it to one man one walk.
The way some people on here talk you would think that more senior people have got it easy, I'm working harder now than I ever have, as you get older this job gets harder, your body gets worn out with all the s**t you've done over the years.
And duties have NEVER ever been equal, doesn't mean its fair, its just the way it is.
Posties then were in sections which was 3 or 4 walks and you rotated on those walks, RM chose to change it to one man one walk.
The way some people on here talk you would think that more senior people have got it easy, I'm working harder now than I ever have, as you get older this job gets harder, your body gets worn out with all the s**t you've done over the years.
And duties have NEVER ever been equal, doesn't mean its fair, its just the way it is.
-
ddtc
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
I'm not saying a lot of the senior people don't work hard. But you and I know their are a few who expect to do less just because of it. Why should it be the way it is? Because some people know they have it good?
RM is a company to make money, we all know they don't care about the workforce. What I'm getting at is that it seems a minority of senior colleagues just want everything from the company as long as they don't mess with their life, just new starters.
Course walks won't be equal but I don't know how it is in your office but in mine there are a few walks no matter what time of the year it is that finish an hour or so everyday early, and the senior staff just go home in the vans because they are allowed too. Before anyone says they do the job correctly, no they don't. They just don't have the work load ever to take them to their contracted finish time.
So how is it fair to everyone else less senior when some finish above 5hours early every week less but still get paid for it for doing less work? And legacy payments on top?
Just seems to me kind of funny how we don't want a two tiered workforce but obviously some people do just as long as they are in the best tier. So much for trying to work together against RM.
RM is a company to make money, we all know they don't care about the workforce. What I'm getting at is that it seems a minority of senior colleagues just want everything from the company as long as they don't mess with their life, just new starters.
Course walks won't be equal but I don't know how it is in your office but in mine there are a few walks no matter what time of the year it is that finish an hour or so everyday early, and the senior staff just go home in the vans because they are allowed too. Before anyone says they do the job correctly, no they don't. They just don't have the work load ever to take them to their contracted finish time.
So how is it fair to everyone else less senior when some finish above 5hours early every week less but still get paid for it for doing less work? And legacy payments on top?
Just seems to me kind of funny how we don't want a two tiered workforce but obviously some people do just as long as they are in the best tier. So much for trying to work together against RM.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
Postie45 wrote:can tell who the newer starters are who hate seniority, the thing is those with seniority and the "better" duties have had to go through years of crap to get where they are now. Its a reward for sticking through it, and someday if the newer people give it long enough they will be rewarded the same way.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
PEOPLE JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE...should swap walks every 3 months
Equalise all walks?ddtc wrote:I suppose I'm a new starter, 5yrs now and luckily a full time and a reserve.
I get seniority but I think it needs to be scrapped. All walks should be equalised, and then who cares what walk you are on.
I really do get fed up of being drag into pointless arguements of who has got the easy walk or hard walk. We are our own worst enemy as has been said.
Also I do not know if it is just my office but can we sort out the fittings on every walk so it actually ties up to how you would do the walk? I hate seeing new starters struggling to tie up because fittings are incorrect and all over the place. Its not fair as it is not for them to sort is it?
Again equalise all walks and who would care.
If I have hit a nerve with anyone, I apologise but I see both sides of it. Lets just work together and not be divided by the big wigs at the top who clearly don't have a clue how to run the business
Good luck with that!