ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Buddy boxes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Buddy boxes in my office split between two walks. Having 6 is taking the pee.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by eastie »

CPTNemoUK wrote:Buddy boxes in my office split between two walks. Having 6 is taking the pee.
Wouldn't worry as at 2pm I am finished and whats not done comes back
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Buddy boxes

Post by daveyeff »

glfp wrote:
GT85 wrote:It's a tray of mixed mail covering more than one walk that has to be sorted by the person prepping the walk rather than by someone on the IPS frame and is very time consuming unless you know all the walks that the box covers.
You have to be prepared to keep learning in any job.

Learn the walks.

Problem with senoirity - to many senior staff know too little about the walsk in the office.

20 years + staff should know all the walks.
that's bollox. I was a ''vice postman'' for 10yrs (done every walk in the office except driving) before I got my own duty, of which I was on for 8 yrs. then the re-pick happened and park & loop. had this duty 7yrs. so for the last 15yrs I have only done 2 duties. how can you been expected to know ALL the duties from 15yrs ago. plus all the walks have changed immensely since then.
awesomepenguin
Posts: 122
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by awesomepenguin »

Buddy Boxes?!?! :arrrghhh

FFS - who the hell comes up with these ideas?!? It sounds like something JML would be sell. This job is becoming a total embarrassment. :arrrghhh
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

Re: Buddy boxes

Post by glfp »

daveyeff wrote:
glfp wrote:
GT85 wrote:It's a tray of mixed mail covering more than one walk that has to be sorted by the person prepping the walk rather than by someone on the IPS frame and is very time consuming unless you know all the walks that the box covers.
You have to be prepared to keep learning in any job.

Learn the walks.

Problem with senoirity - to many senior staff know too little about the walsk in the office.

20 years + staff should know all the walks.
that's bollox. I was a ''vice postman'' for 10yrs (done every walk in the office except driving) before I got my own duty, of which I was on for 8 yrs. then the re-pick happened and park & loop. had this duty 7yrs. so for the last 15yrs I have only done 2 duties. how can you been expected to know ALL the duties from 15yrs ago. plus all the walks have changed immensely since then.
You shouldn't have done only 2 walks in 15 years !
You should have done them all.
That way you would be useful on the IPS
Pisses me off when reserves can sort quicker than 20 + years people.
Its a joke - only in Royal Mail :arrrghhh
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by wannabeek »

I think it's very telling for a poster to state that all long-time posties should know all the rounds in their office.

They are either in a tiddly-poo little office with only a handful of rounds or.... they are not actually a postman at all but just a troll.

It's a bonkers statement and very much removed from the reality of the job.

*edit. Obviously there will now come the claim from them that the reality of the job I claim is just an old fantasy, redundant in the modern world.

Please people, stop quoting their posts because then I can read them - I've blocked them for a reason!!
Last edited by wannabeek on 18 Oct 2017, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

Buddy boxes

Post by glfp »

wannabeek wrote:I think it's very telling for a poster to state that all long-time posties should know all the rounds in their office.

They are either in a tiddly-poo little office with only a handful of rounds or.... they are not actually a postman at all but just a troll.

It's a bonkers statement and very much removed from the reality of the job.
The reality of the job is bonkers.
In unskilled manual work the more useful person to a business would get paid more / keep their job.

If you've only done / know 2 rounds in 15 years your'e not very useful.
If you know 15 rounds and you've been in a job 2 years you are more useful.

Therefore Reserves / Floaters should get paid more.
Sounds perfectly sound to me.
Senior people offer very little to Royal Mail !
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by CPTNemoUK »

I have done 95% of rounds in my office. The problem is I get moved around that much I don't have time to learn them. When I do learn it I get moved and prob not do that walk again for months so I forget it. :arrrghhh
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by daveyeff »

did you NOT read my post!!! I done them ALL in the 10yrs I was ''vicing''....the reason I'm NOT vicing anymore is BECAUSE I have my own duty.....as do THOUSANDS of posties in royal mail. when you have years in then get your own duty you will probably be exactly the same.....unless you do loads of overtime for them in which case you should know them. get a bloody grip!!
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by wannabeek »

Ok. I caved. I clicked on 'This person is on your ignore list. Show this post?'

I wish I hadn't. I won't again.

You would have to have a dreadfully low opinion of yourself (or not actually be a postman) to class yourself as unskilled labour.

No postman would say that. Or maybe a rubbish postman would. Or a really sad person with a low opinion of themselves.

Whatever. Not gonna click on that 'show this post' message ever again.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by daveyeff »

also I DO KNOW the ips. BUT I'm a double prepper so I don't go on it!!
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Buddy boxes

Post by clashcityrocker »

glfp wrote:
Therefore Reserves / Floaters should get paid more.
I have before stated that being a reserve should attract a premium.
Although this has changed recently, it used to be the case that the least experienced in the office were reserves, yet it is the most demanding role.
A premium (probably funded by withdrawing the workplace coach role) might attract more experienced applicants.

Not floaters though. They are usually incompetent f**k-ups.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by daveyeff »

just waiting of your 'next load of shite'' reply!!
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by daveyeff »

not you clash :Very Happy
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Buddy boxes

Post by WOBBLY »

Our buddies have 3 walks in the first wave and two walks in the second wave! Its just a way of getting duties without IPS to do IPS imo!