ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Forgot to scan an international special

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by wacko74 »

Interested-seeker wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Do international specials have to be delivered by 1pm?
No
Thanks for the succinct reply.
Yes.

According to our DOM at least. All International Specials have to delivered before 1pm, even the ones not requiring a sig.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

wacko74 wrote:It's ridiculous that we have to treat these international (mostly Chinese) items as Specials... I had one the other day, didn't require a signature but still had to go 15 minutes off route to be there before 1pm.
You don't there is no time limit on delivery for Foreign items that come from the Prio locker.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Mobey »

Interested-seeker wrote:
Mobey wrote:I scan the barcode in the morning and see what it says about needing a signature.

If it needs a signature then I'll put it safely away but if it doesn't, it goes in the bundle / bag.

Special deliveries from international aren't 9 am or 1 pm specials. I've often wondered if they are put in with the other specials so they can keep their numbers up!
Good tip :)
Something I thought of, not what had been passed down to me! :thumbup
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by OnAFlyer »

Jpro747 wrote:Anyone know why we get some international items mixed in with the specials?
Don't you mean why do we get 1 SD mixed in with a dozen bits of international crap worth a dollar each! :shock:
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by OnAFlyer »

wacko74 wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Do international specials have to be delivered by 1pm?
No
Thanks for the succinct reply.
Yes.

According to our DOM at least. All International Specials have to delivered before 1pm, even the ones not requiring a sig.
Your DOM is full of crap.
elm24
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Sep 2009, 21:33
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by elm24 »

wacko74 wrote:It's ridiculous that we have to treat these international (mostly Chinese) items as Specials... I had one the other day, didn't require a signature but still had to go 15 minutes off route to be there
before 1pm.

The customer laughed at me when I got there and I said I hope he
appreciated the trouble I'd gone to... he told me it was a 3 pack of underpants that cost a fiver off Ebay with free delivery, so god knows why it had been sent as an International Special.
As per comments above these don't need to be scanned by 1pm.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Seymour Buts »

Nothing will happen, they're not even trackable. I found one in a bag once and attempted to see if whoever it was that left it there had attempted to deliver it or not with no success. As others have said, the only reason that they come with the specials is Royal Mail don't get paid if they're not scanned.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Creditshampoo »

wacko74 wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Do international specials have to be delivered by 1pm?
No
Thanks for the succinct reply.
Yes.

According to our DOM at least. All International Specials have to delivered before 1pm, even the ones not requiring a sig.
No they don’t
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by wacko74 »

Well I've asked my DOM at least 3 times now and he insists everything from the priority locker has to be delivered by 1pm.

To be honest it doesn't bother me, I go over my time every day anyway, so if I have to go a further 15-20 mins over just by pootling around in the van to go off route and back on route to get rid of a ''Special'' then I just look on it as an easy bit of additional overtime.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by CPTNemoUK »

wacko74 wrote:Well I've asked my DOM at least 3 times now and he insists everything from the priority locker has to be delivered by 1pm.
If that's the case you better deliver redeliveries done before 1pm too :crazy:
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Justanotherstar »

wacko74 wrote:It's ridiculous that we have to treat these international (mostly Chinese) items as Specials... I had one the other day, didn't require a signature but still had to go 15 minutes off route to be there before 1pm.

The customer laughed at me when I got there and I said I hope he appreciated the trouble I'd gone to... he told me it was a 3 pack of underpants that cost a fiver off Ebay with free delivery, so god knows why it had been sent as an International Special.

No you really didn't...international specials aren't time sensitive...
Inkster85
Posts: 3
Joined: 02 May 2017, 21:46
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Inkster85 »

Did this before also, not a word was said.
Indy
Posts: 977
Joined: 03 May 2010, 07:05
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by Indy »

wacko74 wrote:It's ridiculous that we have to treat these international (mostly Chinese) items as Specials.
Only started getting foreign specials as you say mostly from China a couple of year ago. Had a small 1 last week, gave it to customer and while getting the signature her daughter opened it to find her mobile phone case which she said had cost her 85 pence inc. postage. Like WTF!!!

Anyway, it appears that China was complaining that signature items weren’t getting signatures and that if RM wasn’t going to treat signature items as signature then China wasn’t going to recognise RM items either. I believe that they also complained to the international postal regulator. The only way that RM can get signatures is to put them through as specials which is why today I’ll get maybe 20 specials of which 14 will be from China.

One thing that has always surprised me about stuff from China is that it NEVER seems to get caught for customs/VAT charges. Was on rehab earlier this year and while in the cage saw that out of maybe 75 customs charges not one was from China. Also I’ve NEVER seen a declared value on a packet from China for more than $10. About 6 years ago got a damaged Chinese packet which was declared as “glassware” value $10 yet you could see it was a camera lens. Checking online and the UK price was £1850!
*horcrux*
Posts: 78
Joined: 22 May 2017, 13:31
Gender: Male

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by *horcrux* »

A lot of foreign specials I see don't even need a signature, just need to be scanned and that's it. They tend to start with code LX or LE.
thekiddykid
Posts: 116
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38

Forgot to scan an international special

Post by thekiddykid »

Interested-seeker wrote:Do international specials have to be delivered by 1pm?
i had 7 specials last Sat. 5 of which were foreign (well happy) :sad: 4 of those foreign ones didn't even need a signature ffs!!!!. They get delivered as and when now :Very Happy