ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Driver74
Posts: 117
Joined: 18 May 2017, 19:59
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by Driver74 »

People on here complaining about the strike being called off but in reality it’s not what I see most of the staff I’ve spoken to were hoping rm got the injunction they were after there was already a lot of bad feeling about the union calling a 2 day strike
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Driver74 wrote:People on here complaining about the strike being called off but in reality it’s not what I see most of the staff I’ve spoken to were hoping rm got the injunction they were after there was already a lot of bad feeling about the union calling a 2 day strike



What were they expecting Driver? They were voting for Industrial Action. I know a few colleagues who were worried about losing the money, but I just pointed out it's a short term loss to stop a long term loss. I suggested doing some overtime to build up some cash. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Driver74
Posts: 117
Joined: 18 May 2017, 19:59
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by Driver74 »

Just an observation I think people voted to give the union a bit of bargaining power but I don’t think there is a lot of will to actually lose much money a few weeks of 2 day strikes plus Xmas bonus it will take a long time to get that back with a slightly better pay rise and nobody is expecting rm to put dB pension back on the table
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by fishtank »

One of the things the Judge weighs up is by awarding an interim injunction what is the detriment both parties will face. For the union the detriment is just time and for the business it is the cost of contracts.
The detriment to the union is not "just time" though. The union despite the opinion of those in comfy seats in Wimbledon is the membership and the detriment to the membership from losing the initiative in this dispute could be potentially around £4-5k every year in pension for around 65,000 members not to mention a poorer pay deal, a poorer pension for those who started after 2008, the unspoken MTSF agreement and a whole host of other terms and conditions that we may have to sacrifice now that the threat of strike action has disappeared up the swanny. Don't try to convince me that's strikes in December are a goer, I'm far too long in the tooth for that.How much detriment does that equate to over the next 20-30 years, a lot more than a lost contract or two.

Someone at HQ should be falling on their sword for this one dingo otherwise the whole thing reeks of a preplanned capitulation. Sometimes a dog that barks doesn't bite because it's been trained well. Do you honestly expect the members to believe that the union didn't see the whole mediation debacle coming? Do we even have lawyers and if we do what the f**k are we paying them for?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
bexhil palace
Posts: 505
Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 11:54
Gender: Male
Location: All over the Gaff

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by bexhil palace »

I was informed today, that some people wouldn't be going on strike in December, for fear of losing their Xmas tips.
I'm not sure some people are appreciating the severity of our situation.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by Dorset Plodder »

bexhil palace wrote:I was informed today, that some people wouldn't be going on strike in December, for fear of losing their Xmas tips.
I'm not sure some people are appreciating the severity of our situation.
Wouldn't surprise me at all BH. A lot of people seem to looking for excuses not to strike. Always amazes me that some Posties seem to kiss ass all year just so they can get some tips at Christmas. I think they fail to realise that they do actually get paid to deliver the mail. :hmmmm As for appreciating the situation....... I think a lot of our colleagues have very little long term vision. Add that to a very selfish outlook and it doesn't help solidarity. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by redneck »

You can't blame the union for having to operate within the straight jacket of Tory/New Labour legal frameworks on trade relations.

Until the powers that be change one hand is yied behind the back, but we still have a massive vote for a strike, still have a big feeling to implemnt that if needed, no need to panic.
deadbox
Posts: 357
Joined: 27 May 2007, 11:51

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by deadbox »

Mr.CWU you've done it again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by aiden01 »

redneck wrote:You can't blame the union for having to operate within the straight jacket of Tory/New Labour legal frameworks on trade relations.

Until the powers that be change one hand is yied behind the back, but we still have a massive vote for a strike, still have a big feeling to implemnt that if needed, no need to panic.
Remember the cwu and their legal team negotiated the afg agreement so as fishtank has said above somebody needs to be made accountable of the shambles we now find ourselves in what's the point in striking when Christmas has been and gone.
Glenno
Posts: 1491
Joined: 05 Jun 2007, 13:12

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by Glenno »

Was speaking to a Member today, and they said " we have been asked to rise up like lions" which we have done, a massive 89.1%
Then after the legal beagle stuff we have been told to "sit back down, like silly school kids"
Now I take this all on-board, and I can see the bigger picture, but I am concerned about the next few days until things calm down and then others can then see the bigger picture :wave :wave
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by fishtank »

redneck wrote:You can't blame the union for having to operate within the straight jacket of Tory/New Labour legal frameworks on trade relations.

Until the powers that be change one hand is yied behind the back, but we still have a massive vote for a strike, still have a big feeling to implemnt that if needed, no need to panic.
The injunction was nothing to do with Tory/New Labour frameworks on trade relations, the injunction was a contractual issue between the CWU and Royal Mail. Nobody is panicking, some of us just know what's coming and some don't.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Glenno wrote:Was speaking to a Member today, and they said " we have been asked to rise up like lions" which we have done, a massive 89.1%
Then after the legal beagle stuff we have been told to "sit back down, like silly school kids"
Now I take this all on-board, and I can see the bigger picture, but I am concerned about the next few days until things calm down and then others can then see the bigger picture :wave :wave



I agree. Just stay positive. Nothing has really changed. I'm surprised at how little it takes to completely demoralise some of my colleagues. Have they never been in a losing team that's gone a few points down and need to re-motivate themselves? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by wacko74 »

aiden01 wrote:
redneck wrote:You can't blame the union for having to operate within the straight jacket of Tory/New Labour legal frameworks on trade relations.

Until the powers that be change one hand is yied behind the back, but we still have a massive vote for a strike, still have a big feeling to implemnt that if needed, no need to panic.
Remember the cwu and their legal team negotiated the afg agreement so as fishtank has said above somebody needs to be made accountable of the shambles we now find ourselves in what's the point in striking when Christmas has been and gone.
As I've said elsewhere, I really don't think Dec strikes are the be all and end all, RM will suffer just as much disruption and be put under just as much pressure from shareholders with Jan strikes...


''in fact the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to think that Jan strikes would be just as effective, if not more so, than Dec strikes...


- Posties would have chance to build up savings with all the Christmas Pressure overtime (Expecting a Christmas Pressure Work to Rule is a complete non-starter imo)

- Mail volumes are huge in Jan and pkt volumes don't exactly drop off a cliff come Jan 1st either... so just as much disruption for RM to deal with.

- A Dec strike would see RM massively win the propaganda war, both in terms of us ''giving work to our competitors'' and in portraying us to the general public
as the heartless, selfish baddies trying to ruin everyone's Christmas''.
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by gary1975 »

wacko74 wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
redneck wrote:You can't blame the union for having to operate within the straight jacket of Tory/New Labour legal frameworks on trade relations.

Until the powers that be change one hand is yied behind the back, but we still have a massive vote for a strike, still have a big feeling to implemnt that if needed, no need to panic.
Remember the cwu and their legal team negotiated the afg agreement so as fishtank has said above somebody needs to be made accountable of the shambles we now find ourselves in what's the point in striking when Christmas has been and gone.
As I've said elsewhere, I really don't think Dec strikes are the be all and end all, RM will suffer just as much disruption and be put under just as much pressure from shareholders with Jan strikes...


''in fact the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to think that Jan strikes would be just as effective, if not more so, than Dec strikes...


- Posties would have chance to build up savings with all the Christmas Pressure overtime (Expecting a Christmas Pressure Work to Rule is a complete non-starter imo)

- Mail volumes are huge in Jan and pkt volumes don't exactly drop off a cliff come Jan 1st either... so just as much disruption for RM to deal with.

- A Dec strike would see RM massively win the propaganda war, both in terms of us ''giving work to our competitors'' and in portraying us to the general public
as the heartless, selfish baddies trying to ruin everyone's Christmas''.
I agree with overtime in December plus xmas bonus there is no reason or excuse why we can't have a all out for a full week in January
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

The issues why you voted yes are still the same

Post by clashcityrocker »

JKSmudge wrote:It would be nice if the union leaders put their hands up and admitted they completely screwed up by not checking the small print.
It isn't even "small print".
It is written large. Maybe a braille version would have helped?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.