ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working in the dark...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Working in the dark...

Post by Brandy »

As I have said before I worked for RM for a long time and I have never ever known a company chop and change working practices without thinking what the ramifications would be at all,neither for the workforce or the company.Its a good job made hard by those that have no idea whatsoever how the job is done. :no no
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by spen »

banner wrote:
awesomepenguin wrote:I keep hearing people voicing their concerns about having to work in the dark should Royal Mail get their way and change working times to 9-5pm. Correct me if I am wrong here but didn't we work in the dark early mornings when we used to start at 4:30am and be out delivering on the streets in winter at 7am?

I for one certainly would not want to be working until 5pm, but surely using the "working in the dark" argument to attempt to fend off working time changes is pretty flawed?

Or when we switched from 4:30am starts did Royal Mail use the "working in the dark" as one of their arguments against keeping the early starts??

The working methods that RM want to introduce will make delivery in general much harder so lord knows how hard it will be in the dark?
Delivering at 7-8 in the morning when it is getting lighter and the streets are quiet is totally different at teatime when it is getting darker and god knows who is on the streets as well as kids out with their dogs in the gardens in the dark.
The job is harder and more intensive than back then, deliveries are nearly twice as long and fatigue at the end of a shift coupled with darkness will be a recipe for disaster.
There would also be a question of poor efficiency due to travelling around in rush hour traffic at the end of a shift.
And dont forget, they want you to do it whilst carrying three bundles
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by Lincox »

I have heard tell that RM have ordered 100,000 Davy Lamps. Like the second hand PDAs they bought, they are hoping to upgrade these lamps as profits improve and they can make a substantial investment in to neon lights.
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

DirtyHarry wrote:Postmen/women shouldn't be out as late as they are now.
Any move to make deliveries go out even later still, should be vigorously resisted.
As long as we see films and TV programmes from the last century showing people receiving their Mail at breakfast time before going to work, postmen delivering in the afternoon will always be viewed as being tawdry at best, incompetent at worst, and the service poor, by the general public.
I still get people saying "oh your late"! even though we have been starting later for quite a few years now, I dread to think how many sarcastic remarks we will get when they start receiving their mail at 5 pm or later :arrrghhh
wandle
Posts: 944
Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 17:17
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by wandle »

GT750rider wrote:
DirtyHarry wrote:Postmen/women shouldn't be out as late as they are now.
Any move to make deliveries go out even later still, should be vigorously resisted.
As long as we see films and TV programmes from the last century showing people receiving their Mail at breakfast time before going to work, postmen delivering in the afternoon will always be viewed as being tawdry at best, incompetent at worst, and the service poor, by the general public.
Coronation Street have quite a few times recently shown a postie delivering as the knicker factory lasses are starting work. Out of touch or what ?
Very out of touch. Lasses don't wear knickers these days!
rainbowwarrior72
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 431
Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 11:14
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by rainbowwarrior72 »

Tbh there are also other concerns re delivering later in the day re Delivering in the Midday sun in the summer and also atrocious weather in the Autumn and Winter. I think also they have to deal with the lack of toilet facilities and breaks I think they may have to reconsider 2 deliveries as an option. This one delivery is not healthy especially if you on a trolly duty. Also it would help RM to have Posties work their 39hrs which Moya is constantly moaning about. I had heard that with 6hr delivery spans they were factoring in a 2 delivery style delivery system in the plan. I personally don't think a 1 delivery only system actually works especially if they want to bring in longer walks and delivery spans. I have done deliveries myself but I think the Posties have to realise if they don't now that RM wants you to work to your time which is actually their right but lets not make it easy for them. Don't come in early, Have your breaks and take your time. If your duty can not be done as planned report it to your management and get it tested. Do not bend the rules especially if the management ask you to because they get all the credit but when it goes wrong they blame you. If they will not listen bring it up with your Union Rep or if you haven't one speak to your branch reps. The PDAs have all the info the Management need to know re how long its taking you on delivery and they will use it against you
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by wannabeek »

I believe I'm among the majority in my office in that I'm happy to work my paid hours because sloping off early is a fond distant memory, only now held for maybe Xmas Eve or other such similar rare events.

However, we also want to clear the duty if we can and going up to an hour over at busy times is usually acceptable if that's possible for us. It happens every so often at this time of year.

However, the thought of going over by even 1 minute when knock-off time is already dark??!

No bleeding way.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Working in the dark...

Post by Brandy »

DirtyHarry wrote:
awesomepenguin wrote:I keep hearing people voicing their concerns about having to work in the dark should Royal Mail get their way and change working times to 9-5pm. Correct me if I am wrong here but didn't we work in the dark early mornings when we used to start at 4:30am and be out delivering on the streets in winter at 7am?

I for one certainly would not want to be working until 5pm, but surely using the "working in the dark" argument to attempt to fend off working time changes is pretty flawed?

Or when we switched from 4:30am starts did Royal Mail use the "working in the dark" as one of their arguments against keeping the early starts??
When I started working for these bastards, the earliest I was able to get out on delivery was 8.00am.
That would be more than fine with me again,
Soon it will be dark from 4.00pm, and those bastards want us out on the streets until 5.00pm and beyond.
That is definitely not on.
You sound so bitter,but I know exactly where you are coming from,the way RM managers treat you make you feel like this.
tinkerdil
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 81
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by tinkerdil »

Dingo posted yesterday RM have moved from a 5.00pm to a 3.30pm finish.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

tinkerdil wrote:Dingo posted yesterday RM have moved from a 5.00pm to a 3.30pm finish.
Didn't get back to the office until 3.45pm today so it'll be no change for me then !
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12200
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by SpacePhoenix »

tinkerdil wrote:Dingo posted yesterday RM have moved from a 5.00pm to a 3.30pm finish.
:left: :left: :left: :left: If RM move the pipeline back a couple of hours then last letter will be 17:00
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by fly-catchers »

When I asked my DOM if I could actually claim OT if I went over today he said "Of course". Which is the first time I had heard him say those words as up to now you never were expected to go over! When I asked my colleage to be a witness to this statement the DOM shouted back "Never talk about me behind my back!" With possible even later starts and finishes I can see a lot of mail coming back unless RM both treat their employees fairly and either pay OT without an argument or take a couple of loops off you if you want to finish on time. Can't see either of these things happening!!
tinkerdil
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 81
Joined: 17 Oct 2011, 18:16
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by tinkerdil »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:
tinkerdil wrote:Dingo posted yesterday RM have moved from a 5.00pm to a 3.30pm finish.
Didn't get back to the office until 3.45pm today so it'll be no change for me then !
If you managed to make it home for the start of 'Tipping point' your doing ok.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Working in the dark...

Post by worktotime »

come dine with me on + 1 , I don't think so it will be back on time no matter whats left , :wave
kookoo32
Posts: 187
Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
Gender: Male
Location: scotland

Working in the dark...

Post by kookoo32 »

tinkerdil wrote:Dingo posted yesterday RM have moved from a 5.00pm to a 3.30pm finish.
It's dark at that time in winter up here in the North of Scotland. And it can still be dark nearer 9am. But then it's Scotland so no-one really cares. Good job we are tough up here :cuppa