ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Changing the pipeline

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Changing the pipeline

Post by rambo1 »

Regal wrote:Do customers really care if they get there parcel the next day or in a few days?

Me, my freinds and family all buy online and none of us care if its not delivered the next day

Who asked who about the importance of next day delivery?
Don't we already have next day delivery services anyway?
30+YEARMAN
Posts: 253
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:46
Gender: Male

Changing the pipeline

Post by 30+YEARMAN »

Who exactly is the Customer the person who has bought the item or the person sending it ? because the way I see it when I buy something on line I pay the p&p so that makes me the customer and I don,t really mind if it is not here in my hands the very next day and I think a lot people think the same' so who are these people RM seem to want bend over backwards to please I can,t help thinking there is to this then they are letting on. :hmmmm
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Changing the pipeline

Post by postslippete »

30+YEARMAN wrote:Who exactly is the Customer the person who has bought the item or the person sending it ? because the way I see it when I buy something on line I pay the p&p so that makes me the customer and I don,t really mind if it is not here in my hands the very next day and I think a lot people think the same' so who are these people RM seem to want bend over backwards to please I can,t help thinking there is to this then they are letting on. :hmmmm



Our customer is with the person sending the parcel; whereas the suppliers customer is the one who receives their parcel. The way I think of it is this: If the buyer has a problem whether an item is damaged or not delivered then as their contract is with the seller then that is their 1st point of call.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Changing the pipeline

Post by ScousePostie »

The CWU knows that there needs to be a change to the pipeline. They're not disputing the fact that it needs to change, but the way it which RM want to change it. RM want everything later (which has been said time and time again) so that they can accept parcels for next day delivery. Our 'competitors' do this, so RM wants to do the same. The union knows that there is a market for next day parcels, but not all parcels need to be delivered next day. Even Next, order before midnight, get it next day is at a price to the customer.

We all know there is a growing parcels market, RM needs to change the way the business deals with certain parcels. Not ALL packets need to be delivered next day. There is an argument that RM could maintain the current method of delivering but have a wave of packets late morning/early afternoon. Through some sort of agreement, there could be scope to have a small team of posties, whether it be current employees (people who want to work more hours) or new starts (on different contracts) to perform this packet only duty late afternoon.

This idea that EVERYTHING needs to be pushed back just so RM can accept a few packets for next day delivery is, quite frankly, a farce. RM talks about wanting to be competitive in the parcels market, yet, by pushing all deliveries back to 11am-12noon, they are completely loosing out to the competition during the AM period. Other parcel delivery companies will love this as I can could probably bet right now that 'competitors' will use this to their advantage by introducing morning delivery slots. In fact, I can name a few that already do!
gone postal
Posts: 98
Joined: 16 May 2012, 19:30
Gender: Male

Changing the pipeline

Post by gone postal »

Here's an idea, we could have a 1st post that delivers everything at the moment and 2nd post that delivers the next day parcels plus anything else. I'm sure I have heard about something like that from years back?? Surely not :dance
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Changing the pipeline

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I think its going to backfire in the long term.

When I have had things delivered by Amazon, DHL, CityLink (as was), DPD and others and it's been trackable, you usually see it progressing through the network overnight and then around 6 - 8 am (at the latest) the status becomes something similar to loaded onto Van, or Out for Delivery.

If Royal Mail does change the pipeline and packets won't be arriving into a DO until 10 am to Midday, then we will be scanning the "Out for Delivery" later than any company. Now, will senders prefer some customers to get their orders early morning and the rest as and when, or will they use Royal Mail knowing most deliveries will be between 12 and 5pm.

As a Customer, I know I get antsy the later the delivery gets.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Changing the pipeline

Post by wacko74 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I think its going to backfire in the long term.

When I have had things delivered by Amazon, DHL, CityLink (as was), DPD and others and it's been trackable, you usually see it progressing through the network overnight and then around 6 - 8 am (at the latest) the status becomes something similar to loaded onto Van, or Out for Delivery.

If Royal Mail does change the pipeline and packets won't be arriving into a DO until 10 am to Midday, then we will be scanning the "Out for Delivery" later than any company. Now, will senders prefer some customers to get their orders early morning and the rest as and when, or will they use Royal Mail knowing most deliveries will be between 12 and 5pm.

As a Customer, I know I get antsy the later the delivery gets.

True. And as I've said previously, from doing pkt deliveries almost every xmas for the last 17 years... you get far more people in in the mornings compared to the afternoons