ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Not prepped !!!!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

If the 318 of the prepper says they should be prepping this PT walk including redirections and tieing up bundles , or until 0900 when MissKazzyB is due, that is what they should be doing unless directed otherwise by management.

If this means that the prepper now feels they will go over on their own walk, they should follow the over-running procedure for their own duty.

If the prepper is leaving indoor work for MissKazzyB to do, but they are finishing before their contract time, questions should be asked.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by fishtank »

It doesn't work like that. The resource available to prep other duties changes every day depending on mail volumes and D2D. You can't have a 318 that states someone preps x,y and z because some days that won't be possible. Managers should manage, that's the bottom line. If it becomes apparent that a duty needs extra resource then overtime should be made available or excess resource from elsewhere can be moved over.

If there is genuine evidence to suggest that it's a performance issue then that is also a management issue, in my experience these duties that need to be prepped to completion are very difficult to manage as they can't obviously be completed until the IPS is completed and if that's up late the whole game is screwed.

Having said that standing watching someone prep your duty because you don't believe it's "your job" is schoolyard stuff. If you're on the clock and earning money everything and anything is "your job".
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
postslippete
Posts: 4198
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by postslippete »

We get a lot of guys who are Part time and they come in to work early for FREE to help their van share partner out just so that they can get on their delivery. That creates a load of problems of workload resourcing for Royal Mail because it makes the impossible look possible!

Also, if the duty ain't prepped when you come in then its a good way of getting some loops and/or packets taken off
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Xr4
Posts: 107
Joined: 23 Apr 2016, 09:15
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by Xr4 »

I'm PT and quite a few times I've come in to an empty frame at 9am or even 10am, in 2 years of working for RM I've come into a fully prepped frame twice!
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I think a lot of you are missing the point. I agree that certain people should be doing certain jobs within all Delivery Offices, however we all know human nature. Some people will always try and get away with doing a little less than they should. They'll always put in more effort/time on their duty as opposed to their partners duty. :no no

It's the Managers job to sort these problems not ours. Some Posties may feel quite confident in confronting their colleagues, but other (particularly part-timers and new starters) may not feel confident enough. If the Manager isn't
sorting it out, instead of getting stressed, I'd suggest you finish whatever prep is remaining and record how long it's taken you. Then approach the DOM and tell him you've had to spend 45 mins finishing the prep and as you need to finish at your contracted time. Ask him how he wants to deal with the problem. DO NOT feel pressurised into going over your finish time just because you had to do more prep.

You can bet that after a few days of having to get someone to cover the mail you've inevitably had to leave behind he will get a grip of whoever was "Meant" to be doing that extra prepping. Good Luck. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Angwyn
Posts: 76
Joined: 04 Sep 2015, 09:39
Gender: Female

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by Angwyn »

MissKazzyB wrote:It's not actually my job to do it.
If your part time, then it should all be thrown up, all the re-directions done & packets marked.
It should all be tied up too & put in the barrel so when I come in at 9, I can get my barrel & go.

So in fact, I'm helping by tying up myself & loading the barrel.


Interesting reading. I'm new, part time. I often throw in the sequence, often sort packets, always do the D2Ds, get mail from the IPS and always do my own redirections. No wonder I'm going over :thumbdown
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by joewyan »

Dorset Plodder wrote:I think a lot of you are missing the point. I agree that certain people should be doing certain jobs within all Delivery Offices, however we all know human nature. Some people will always try and get away with doing a little less than they should. They'll always put in more effort/time on their duty as opposed to their partners duty. :no no

It's the Managers job to sort these problems not ours. Some Posties may feel quite confident in confronting their colleagues, but other (particularly part-timers and new starters) may not feel confident enough. If the Manager isn't
sorting it out, instead of getting stressed, I'd suggest you finish whatever prep is remaining and record how long it's taken you. Then approach the DOM and tell him you've had to spend 45 mins finishing the prep and as you need to finish at your contracted time. Ask him how he wants to deal with the problem. DO NOT feel pressurised into going over your finish time just because you had to do more prep.

You can bet that after a few days of having to get someone to cover the mail you've inevitably had to leave behind he will get a grip of whoever was "Meant" to be doing that extra prepping. Good Luck. :cuppa
Yes quite agree 45 minutes extra prep etc. The point of this post was that the OP had to do the redirections! That's all and basically refused to do them (which is a reasonable request)
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by joewyan »

Angwyn wrote:
MissKazzyB wrote:It's not actually my job to do it.
If your part time, then it should all be thrown up, all the re-directions done & packets marked.
It should all be tied up too & put in the barrel so when I come in at 9, I can get my barrel & go.

So in fact, I'm helping by tying up myself & loading the barrel.


Interesting reading. I'm new, part time. I often throw in the sequence, often sort packets, always do the D2Ds, get mail from the IPS and always do my own redirections. No wonder I'm going over :thumbdown
Angwyn, it would depend what your contract is and what your jobs are in the office. Some part timers have part time walks which they have to prep in full, some part prep and some do no prep at all like the OP. Worth you asking in your office what your exact expectations are in your case then you'll know if you are doing more than is expected.
trix138
Posts: 13
Joined: 24 Oct 2013, 14:56
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by trix138 »

I've prepped two walks on many many occasions and on heavy days not matter how hard I work both walks would never be entirely ready. You start work and 9am so to expect that everyday your walk will be ready to go is living in a dream world. As we are about to enter the Christmas season I would be amazed that the person prepping both walks will be anywhere ready at 9am....So what would you do then?
You start at 9 so you should do all that is necessary to complete the prep so you can go out on delivery. You only have to work the contracted hours so you bring back whatever you cannot deliver.
I would like to see how you would get on trying to prep two walks completely ready to leave an office if you had a part timer starting with you at 9.
twoloops
Posts: 2041
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by twoloops »

Noticed that all the smokers in our office are always last to prep their frame? :pray
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by bmccoll »

trix138 wrote:I've prepped two walks on many many occasions
Prepping 2 walks as well as your own is the norm in my office.
trix138
Posts: 13
Joined: 24 Oct 2013, 14:56
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by trix138 »

Yes I prep two walks everyday of the week but not for a part timer so I don't have to do a complete prep, and on heavy days I could never have both walks ready by 9. THe point I'm making is to expect your walk to be ready for delivery everyday as a part timer is unrealistic if not almost impossible in a lot of circumstances. Then to wait for someone else to complete it for you even once your contracted hours have begun is not practical and hence why you would not be finishing the delivery within the contracted hours.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by tommyrep »

Acca Dacca wrote:In our office PT are supposed to do own redirections and packets
I can only assume there is duty time to do it! If so, fair enough !
Do any of them go " over " duty time ? If so there is a problem, simple really.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by tommyrep »

Janet Brum wrote:While you were waiting for some poor sod to do the redirections on your walk, you could have used that time to do them yourself :)
It takes 1-2 minutes to screen the frame and it`s not that hard, you have to try it and not rely on onthers.
I`m on different walks each day and I don`t wait for someone else to do my job, if you go over, claim overtime as it is, with 5 minutes more or less, you`ll get there anyway :wave
Poor sod ?
The work should be managed better by the DOM. The Indoor prep work is supposed to be completed to fall in with the PT start time.
Just asking, but was the "poor sods" OWN duty prepped and pulled ready to go ?
Was the "poor sod " out on delivery BEFORE the PTleft the office ?
There are many possibilities, and we all know how soon " helping out" becomes an expected norm by many "poor sods "
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Not prepped !!!!!

Post by Brandy »

It smacks of mismanagement as happens in a lot of delivery offices!