ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Acca Dacca »

Phantom wrote:
glfp wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Packets / Parcels people want delivered every day.

Letter deliveries 6 days a week = pointless.

You don't really understand Royal Mail much.
The way the business is set up we have simultaneous letter and parcel deliveries, the bulk of the labour costs are offset against the letter delivery side. This makes letter delivery expensive and unprofitable on paper but what it means because we're already out on the street the parcel business is on paper low cost. This allows us to have some of the lowest pricing levels for parcels in the industry and maintain a customer to customer small parcel stream ( eBay etc ) that would otherwise be economically unsustainable.

The bottom line is without letter deliveries we would need to either massively hike our prices and possibly lose most of our market share or sack the entire workforce and join the likes of Hermes in a dogfight for the low cost market. With the management team we have I would give us about 6 months before Hermes or Yodel swallowed us whole.
That isn't the bottom line.

I understand RM all too well.
1) The bulk of the labour cost is caused by far less automation than successful companies
2) The big one - daily delivery to each home - post people walking up long driveways with one letter !
The USO, in my opinion, is outdated and 6 days a week delivery is absurd.
I've done rurals and driven up a country lane to deliver one letter numerous times.
That is the bottom line.
3) An inflexible workforce who pine for yesteryear and resist the slightest change.



You only have to look at your mail to see that 6 days a week is totally unneccessary
Are you sure you're a postal worker? would you like a knife to cut your own throat? Jesus f***ing wept - I've read it all now - it's a good job we didn't have to rely on people like you and some of the others in this thread during the war otherwise we would be f****d!!!
Hes a disgruntled shareholder but deffo not a postman
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:"JetBlack,
UrbanPirate, with his “What the f**k did I just read :crazy:“, wouldn’t understand but you and I well know that time doesn’t heal and memories don’t fade."

Its been 35+ years. Seriously GET OVER IT! But please answer me what state the mining communities would be in today if maggie didnt restructure the economy then? Do you really think that Britain could maintain global competitiveness?

And the two really don't compare. One was the foundation of national economics/industry 35 years ago. Ours is one of delivery with many competitors in the private sector in 2017. You lot really are dino's clinging on to the past. The minors at least had some leverage. We dont. Do you really think the world will stop because RM doesnt bring them their post/packets. NOPE! Because one of our competitors will. The customer will just use another business.
Of course we wouldn't still have the coal industry of fifty or sixty years ago but that's not the issue as we were discussing the ethos of Trades Unions not the economics of the energy industry. :cuppa I know, thats the point im trying to make, to get people to stop bringing up the bloody miners!
"The minors at least had some leverage" is nonsense because they were at school but if 'miners' had leverage it didn't help them much. :roll:
Sorry, I made a spelling error, and...
You claim that if "RM doesnt bring them their post/packets ..... one of our competitors will" and then ask "Why do you think no other company will touch letters with a barge pole?" :roll:
You are being facetious, You know I meant they will happily pick up the packets as thats the profitable bit.

The more confused you get the more entertaining your comments become but I am increasingly questioning whether replying to you is the best use of my time. :wave
See, you think you are being clever, but you arnt actually saying anything. Just "trying" to make smart ass remarks
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

You lot really are in total denial.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by aiden01 »

UrbanPirate wrote:You lot really are in total denial.
OK nob pirate just go away ffs.
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

aiden01 wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:You lot really are in total denial.
OK nob pirate just go away ffs.
cafeful now, wouldnt want you to upset yourself calling other people names now. Last time I checked this was RMChat, not CWU chat.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by aiden01 »

UrbanPirate wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:You lot really are in total denial.
OK nob pirate just go away ffs.
cafeful now, wouldnt want you to upset yourself calling other people names now. Last time I checked this was RMChat, not CWU chat.
Whatever chat you want to call it just leave :wave :wave :wave
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

aiden01 wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:
aiden01 wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:You lot really are in total denial.
OK nob pirate just go away ffs.
cafeful now, wouldnt want you to upset yourself calling other people names now. Last time I checked this was RMChat, not CWU chat.
Whatever chat you want to call it just leave :wave :wave :wave
Touched a nerve have I. And you think the best course of action to hearing an opposing view to you is to block your ears and push it out.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Lounge Lizard »

UrbanPirate wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:"JetBlack,
UrbanPirate, with his “What the f**k did I just read :crazy:“, wouldn’t understand but you and I well know that time doesn’t heal and memories don’t fade."

Its been 35+ years. Seriously GET OVER IT! But please answer me what state the mining communities would be in today if maggie didnt restructure the economy then? Do you really think that Britain could maintain global competitiveness?

And the two really don't compare. One was the foundation of national economics/industry 35 years ago. Ours is one of delivery with many competitors in the private sector in 2017. You lot really are dino's clinging on to the past. The minors at least had some leverage. We dont. Do you really think the world will stop because RM doesnt bring them their post/packets. NOPE! Because one of our competitors will. The customer will just use another business.
Of course we wouldn't still have the coal industry of fifty or sixty years ago but that's not the issue as we were discussing the ethos of Trades Unions not the economics of the energy industry. :cuppa I know, thats the point im trying to make, to get people to stop bringing up the bloody miners!
"The minors at least had some leverage" is nonsense because they were at school but if 'miners' had leverage it didn't help them much. :roll:
Sorry, I made a spelling error, and...
You claim that if "RM doesnt bring them their post/packets ..... one of our competitors will" and then ask "Why do you think no other company will touch letters with a barge pole?" :roll:
You are being facetious, You know I meant they will happily pick up the packets as thats the profitable bit.

The more confused you get the more entertaining your comments become but I am increasingly questioning whether replying to you is the best use of my time. :wave
See, you think you are being clever, but you arnt actually saying anything. Just "trying" to make smart ass remarks
You are perpetuating the mention of miners as much as anyone else.
"post/packets" includes letters which you reneged on. Pointing out you inconsistency is NOT being "facetious" - a word unusual in having all five vowels in alphabetical order.
I have never suggested that I am any more, or less, "clever" than anyone lese on here.
"you arnt actually saying anything" brings the words 'pot', 'kettle' and 'black' to mind.
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by glfp »

Acca Dacca wrote:
Phantom wrote:
glfp wrote:
fishtank wrote:
Packets / Parcels people want delivered every day.

Letter deliveries 6 days a week = pointless.

You don't really understand Royal Mail much.
The way the business is set up we have simultaneous letter and parcel deliveries, the bulk of the labour costs are offset against the letter delivery side. This makes letter delivery expensive and unprofitable on paper but what it means because we're already out on the street the parcel business is on paper low cost. This allows us to have some of the lowest pricing levels for parcels in the industry and maintain a customer to customer small parcel stream ( eBay etc ) that would otherwise be economically unsustainable.

The bottom line is without letter deliveries we would need to either massively hike our prices and possibly lose most of our market share or sack the entire workforce and join the likes of Hermes in a dogfight for the low cost market. With the management team we have I would give us about 6 months before Hermes or Yodel swallowed us whole.
That isn't the bottom line.

I understand RM all too well.
1) The bulk of the labour cost is caused by far less automation than successful companies
2) The big one - daily delivery to each home - post people walking up long driveways with one letter !
The USO, in my opinion, is outdated and 6 days a week delivery is absurd.
I've done rurals and driven up a country lane to deliver one letter numerous times.
That is the bottom line.
3) An inflexible workforce who pine for yesteryear and resist the slightest change.



You only have to look at your mail to see that 6 days a week is totally unneccessary
Are you sure you're a postal worker? would you like a knife to cut your own throat? Jesus f***ing wept - I've read it all now - it's a good job we didn't have to rely on people like you and some of the others in this thread during the war otherwise we would be f****d!!!
Hes a disgruntled shareholder but deffo not a postman
Sometimes you've just got to face reality of where this is heading.
RM aren't interested in any more talks - executive action is heading our way.

The few of you who regularly post are just in total denial of where this is heading.

Strikes will just get it there quicker.

Keep the smart arse comments going.

You're just so intellectual.

Compare yourself with the miners struggle. Ha Ha - you brave boys - one day a week for 3 weeks and you'll back to work with your tails between your legs.

Believe we're important.

Believe the digital age has no effect on us.

Seen all of this in the delivery office before.
The know all no nothing brigade that think change won't happen - it will just bypass our hardworking, good ole posties.

Start making plans for the 9-5 delivery - you'll be on it pretty damn soon.
I am - my 9 til 2 25 a hour a week contract will probably be 1pm-6pm.
I'll accept it or leave.

It will keep you in a job that you can whine, whinge and moan about at work and in your free time on this chat room.
Be prepared to take a file with you in the dark - you might chip a finger nail.

Might pop back in about February to tell you I told you so.

Those of you in your 40's if you reach your 80's you can tell your grandchildren that you used to put bits of paper through letterboxes as a job.
They will struggle to believe you when you say people sent birthday cards, christmas cards, advertising leaflets and all the other shite.
What actual paper grandad !
Keep some photos as proof.

Go on strike - be prepared to tell as many people as possible because people with lives won't even notice.

Its hard to be polite to some of you.

If you disagree you're a troll, a manager, a shareholder.

Asta la vista
Graham
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:"JetBlack,
UrbanPirate, with his “What the f**k did I just read :crazy:“, wouldn’t understand but you and I well know that time doesn’t heal and memories don’t fade."

Its been 35+ years. Seriously GET OVER IT! But please answer me what state the mining communities would be in today if maggie didnt restructure the economy then? Do you really think that Britain could maintain global competitiveness?

And the two really don't compare. One was the foundation of national economics/industry 35 years ago. Ours is one of delivery with many competitors in the private sector in 2017. You lot really are dino's clinging on to the past. The minors at least had some leverage. We dont. Do you really think the world will stop because RM doesnt bring them their post/packets. NOPE! Because one of our competitors will. The customer will just use another business.
Of course we wouldn't still have the coal industry of fifty or sixty years ago but that's not the issue as we were discussing the ethos of Trades Unions not the economics of the energy industry. :cuppa I know, thats the point im trying to make, to get people to stop bringing up the bloody miners!
"The minors at least had some leverage" is nonsense because they were at school but if 'miners' had leverage it didn't help them much. :roll:
Sorry, I made a spelling error, and...
You claim that if "RM doesnt bring them their post/packets ..... one of our competitors will" and then ask "Why do you think no other company will touch letters with a barge pole?" :roll:
You are being facetious, You know I meant they will happily pick up the packets as thats the profitable bit.

The more confused you get the more entertaining your comments become but I am increasingly questioning whether replying to you is the best use of my time. :wave
See, you think you are being clever, but you arnt actually saying anything. Just "trying" to make smart ass remarks
You are perpetuating the mention of miners as much as anyone else.
"post/packets" includes letters which you reneged on. Pointing out you inconsistency is NOT being "facetious" - a word unusual in having all five vowels in alphabetical order.
I have never suggested that I am any more, or less, "clever" than anyone lese on here.
"you arnt actually saying anything" brings the words 'pot', 'kettle' and 'black' to mind.
So by telling people to stop associating with the miners is perpetuating it? Incorrect. They keep bringing it up. Il tell them to stop. Its not me thats brings it up.
It is being facetious and you know it.
Im being very clear with my intentions and what im saying.
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

glfp, Again, Spot on!
Start making plans for the 9-5 delivery - you'll be on it pretty damn soon.
I am - my 9 til 2 25 a hour a week contract will probably be 1pm-6pm.
I'll accept it or leave.
Funnily enough thats what my hours will resemble and im not shitting a brick about it. In fact I have what could be called hybrid hours where I work early a couple of days and PT the rest. I dont complain. I just get on with it. Would love to be FT though.
Those of you in your 40's if you reach your 80's you can tell your grandchildren that you used to put bits of paper through letterboxes as a job.
They will struggle to believe you when you say people sent birthday cards, christmas cards, advertising leaflets and all the other shite.
What actual paper grandad !
Keep some photos as proof.
I actualy loled! But I can imagine this conversation taking place. Don't forget Posty Grandad will obviously have to add that sometimes it rained and didnt finish early every day. Just Monday's, Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Sometimes even Wednesdays and Thursdays! The horror, The horror! :chuckle
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Phantom »

UrbanPirate + GLFP neither of you have answered my simple question? Are you both really that stupid? So i'll ask it again, why are deliveries not going out and why is mail being left in due for delivery? There is no industrial action yet so why is RM failing its customers???
CUT OFF!!!
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Martin Walsh »

The doom and gloom of some on here is disturbing. Especially GLFP get ready for 9-5 , Royal Mail are going to take executive action they not going to talk anymore !

Well I have too say how can one individual be so wrong. There have been talks on the pipeline this week and Royal Mail have already moved from 17:00 too 16:00. Still good enough and there move again once we get a yes vote. Royal Mail underestimated the strength of feeling on this issue.

This is not about the union being dinosaurs and opposed to change because we will have too deliver any later acceptance of parcels but even in Royal Mail’s upper expectations of parcel growth due to LAT capture it would not require every walk too go later than 15:00. This is about Royal Mail wanted s bigger processing in window in order to introduce their multi bundle on delivery trail which is not acceptable or safe. Additionally their plan on walk ownership is the route too franchising and again we are not going too agree that path.

However let’s be clear our jobs have changed so much over the years no one can accuse us of being anti change. When I first started we worked 6 days a week only one delivery on a Saturday and we delivered parcels in the afternoon and did processing of the collections in the afternoon. Since than we have got rid of two deliveries , parcels have become part of your delivery , we have a longer delivery on Saturdays , we have automation , we have sequencing , we have CDVs , we have more doorstrep transactions than ever before so we have changed and we will change again but we want to shape that change hence the ballot and the on-going negoations.
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

Phantom wrote:UrbanPirate + GLFP neither of you have answered my simple question? Are you both really that stupid? So i'll ask it again, why are deliveries not going out and why is mail being left in due for delivery? There is no industrial action yet so why is RM failing its customers???
I know in our office the mail goes out. We had a bad week not too long ago but we were hit particularly bad with sickness absence. I would hazard A guess though if it is happening regularly elsewhere then it will be due to under staffing. Why? If I was RM Management I wouldn't bring in anyone new until after all this was settled and I knew what contract and Hours I could offer them to fit around the pipeline changes and T&C's I would be looking to offer. It would be mad to do anything other than wait.

Not rocket science
Tman
Posts: 4146
Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Tman »

I don't know why you gave the other poster the courtesy of a reply; is it even worth talking to someone who asks "are you really that stupid...."? :roll: