Yer jazzing.UrbanPirate wrote: One was the foundation of national economics/industry 35 years ago.![]()
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
-
Danelectro
- Posts: 1058
- Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
-
Tman
- Posts: 4146
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
He's errr..jazzing too.banner wrote:Lets have some facts:
1. The number of letters Royal mail deal with is still higher than the boom time for letters in the 80's.
.
-
glfp
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
That isn't the bottom line.fishtank wrote:Packets / Parcels people want delivered every day.
Letter deliveries 6 days a week = pointless.
You don't really understand Royal Mail much.
The way the business is set up we have simultaneous letter and parcel deliveries, the bulk of the labour costs are offset against the letter delivery side. This makes letter delivery expensive and unprofitable on paper but what it means because we're already out on the street the parcel business is on paper low cost. This allows us to have some of the lowest pricing levels for parcels in the industry and maintain a customer to customer small parcel stream ( eBay etc ) that would otherwise be economically unsustainable.
The bottom line is without letter deliveries we would need to either massively hike our prices and possibly lose most of our market share or sack the entire workforce and join the likes of Hermes in a dogfight for the low cost market. With the management team we have I would give us about 6 months before Hermes or Yodel swallowed us whole.
I understand RM all too well.
1) The bulk of the labour cost is caused by far less automation than successful companies
2) The big one - daily delivery to each home - post people walking up long driveways with one letter !
The USO, in my opinion, is outdated and 6 days a week delivery is absurd.
I've done rurals and driven up a country lane to deliver one letter numerous times.
That is the bottom line.
3) An inflexible workforce who pine for yesteryear and resist the slightest change.
You only have to look at your mail to see that 6 days a week is totally unneccessary
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
Probably a lot better than they are now if Maggie had really tried to restructure the economy rather than destroy the Miners as a way to undermine what was already a declining power base of the Unions. She didn't reconstruct anything, she declared there is no such thing as society in a Women's Own article in 1987 and promoted a willingness to accept selfish behaviour as a way to get on.UrbanPirate wrote:"
Its been 35+ years. Seriously GET OVER IT! But please answer me what state the mining communities would be in today if maggie didnt restructure the economy
Just to make sure you know where I come from - from 1983 to 1987 I voted for the Conservative at every GE election, but then when they were in power I was in the forces and it was better for ME.
Now I live in a mining and worsted community and there are people who "Don't get over it" because these communities are still suffering because Thatcher was good at tearing down, she was crap at rebuilding. IMHO she believed Market Forces held sway over everything. When, for me, its got to a balance of social responsibility, market forces, personal responsibility and community cohesion. None should take precedence and none should be ignored.
So please none of this "Get Over It" its still an important issue in some places.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
glfp
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
bank statement - good example of another shrinking revenue stream - I have mine delivered to my email.UrbanPirate wrote:I'm saying we will not have support or pressure from the public. Yes it would pressure RM management. But they could get by by delivering packets to businesses and our big customers with management and non strikers. Joe public isnt that bothered that is bank statement will be a day late.fishtank wrote:Isn't that the very definition of leverage?The minors at least had some leverage. We dont. Do you really think the world will stop because RM doesnt bring them their post/packets. NOPE! Because one of our competitors will. The customer will just use another business.
Most people do online banking now and year on year paper bank statements are on the rapid decrease.
-
mark.cup
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 20:54
- Gender: Male
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
Ever considered a job in IT? I think it would suit you down to the ground 
-
glfp
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
I'm from the south but have been to many ex mining towns during the years.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Probably a lot better than they are now if Maggie had really tried to restructure the economy rather than destroy the Miners as a way to undermine what was already a declining power base of the Unions. She didn't reconstruct anything, she declared there is no such thing as society in a Women's Own article in 1987 and promoted a willingness to accept selfish behaviour as a way to get on.UrbanPirate wrote:"
Its been 35+ years. Seriously GET OVER IT! But please answer me what state the mining communities would be in today if maggie didnt restructure the economy
Just to make sure you know where I come from - from 1983 to 1987 I voted for the Conservative at every GE election, but then when they were in power I was in the forces and it was better for ME.
Now I live in a mining and worsted community and there are people who "Don't get over it" because these communities are still suffering because Thatcher was good at tearing down, she was crap at rebuilding. IMHO she believed Market Forces held sway over everything. When, for me, its got to a balance of social responsibility, market forces, personal responsibility and community cohesion. None should take precedence and none should be ignored.
So please none of this "Get Over It" its still an important issue in some places.
The loss of the pits shut down a huge number of other businesses as well.
Thatchers government put nothing into the communities and they are still suffering.
Many men never got the chance to work again - scrap heaped.
They haven't "got over it " because the desolation is very much still there.
The Valleys is another place where the loss of the coal and steel industries and lack of any regeneration has left them jobless, ghost towns
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
Of course we wouldn't still have the coal industry of fifty or sixty years ago but that's not the issue as we were discussing the ethos of Trades Unions not the economics of the energy industry.UrbanPirate wrote:"JetBlack,
UrbanPirate, with his “What the f**k did I just read“, wouldn’t understand but you and I well know that time doesn’t heal and memories don’t fade."
Its been 35+ years. Seriously GET OVER IT! But please answer me what state the mining communities would be in today if maggie didnt restructure the economy then? Do you really think that Britain could maintain global competitiveness?
And the two really don't compare. One was the foundation of national economics/industry 35 years ago. Ours is one of delivery with many competitors in the private sector in 2017. You lot really are dino's clinging on to the past. The minors at least had some leverage. We dont. Do you really think the world will stop because RM doesnt bring them their post/packets. NOPE! Because one of our competitors will. The customer will just use another business.
"The minors at least had some leverage" is nonsense because they were at school but if 'miners' had leverage it didn't help them much.
You claim that if "RM doesnt bring them their post/packets ..... one of our competitors will" and then ask "Why do you think no other company will touch letters with a barge pole?"
The more confused you get the more entertaining your comments become but I am increasingly questioning whether replying to you is the best use of my time.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
Probably in the Secure Hire part of IT.mark.cup wrote:Ever considered a job in IT? I think it would suit you down to the ground
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
No it's a terrible example, the arse fell out of the bank statement/utility bill stream years ago, what we deliver now is a tiny fraction of what we did, If that tiny fraction is in rapid decrease it doesn't amount to the square root of f**k all. What we mostly deliver now is advertising related and the jury is out on whether e-substitution in that market works.bank statement - good example of another shrinking revenue stream - I have mine delivered to my email.
Most people do online banking now and year on year paper bank statements are on the rapid decrease.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
glfp
- Posts: 71
- Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
Keep on in denial !fishtank wrote:No it's a terrible example, the arse fell out of the bank statement/utility bill stream years ago, what we deliver now is a tiny fraction of what we did, If that tiny fraction is in rapid decrease it doesn't amount to the square root of f**k all. What we mostly deliver now is advertising related and the jury is out on whether e-substitution in that market works.bank statement - good example of another shrinking revenue stream - I have mine delivered to my email.
Most people do online banking now and year on year paper bank statements are on the rapid decrease.
Of cause digital marketing won't become more prominent in the years to come will it ?
Why would it when you've got good old paper dropping through your letterbox.
Why would companies spend more and more time developing new digital advertising / marketing streams?
No point in delivering it to peoples mobiles because they only have it with them every waking hour.
Much better to deliver something to their doorsteps.
I bow to your superior knowledge.
Royal Mail is safe for another 20 years at least.
I'm so relieved to hear your wise words of wisdom.
I'm going to read all your 25,00 posts on here and enlighten myself.
Thank you and very kindest Wishes
Graham
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
How can any proposals when it has not been agreed if it was such it would be a demand a bit like Hitler did in 1938 with the Czechoslovakia as it was then and we all know what happened after that don't we MOYA!
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4198
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
glfp wrote:A reduced USO makes perfect sense for non business customers.Danelectro wrote:UrbanPirate wrote:Holland nah reduced USO from 6 to 5 days a week.Ram it.
Packets / Parcels people want delivered every day.
Letter deliveries 6 days a week = pointless.
It's nearly all junk - even my ageing parents say that.
Total waste of time.
The bulk of people in this country pay bills by direct debit - pay for goods via card payments / paypal online.
Most people under 40 haven't even got a cheque book.
I paid my road fund licence online without a single piece of paper needed.
This will only continue.
A 6 day USO is simply not required for letters.
Magazines are moving to online only.
The days of screwfix etc posting mail are numbered.
IN 10 years time RM will only be here if everyone wakes up to the fact that parcels are the future.
Stop hankering for the good old days they are gone.
The bulk of people dont give a toss if they even have a mail delivery let alone what time it comes unless they are expecting a parcel or a very rare important letter.
The only people who moan to me about what time they get their mail are ones who have nothing better to do.
I exclude businesses; although when you hear Dave Ward saying about businesses needing their post early to bank cheques you realise how hideously out of date the CWU are.
Dinosaurs fighting to keep technology away from RM.
You see machines don't pay subs to CWU to support Momentum.
Best Regards
Graham
Can you actually back anything up with FACTS??
Have you ever considered the possibility that letter deliveries 6 days a week plus the 'junk' that you mention is actually "profitable" for Royal Mail - Or are you just going to believe everything that your ageing parents say?
We do seem to get the same 'junk' every week that you mention but you do seem to miss the rather obvious point that our customers are the ones who pay Royal Mail to send out their leaflets, and they really would not do that if it wasn't profitable, would they? *FACT*
And lets face it there will always be bills and stuff being sent through the post because businesses will always want their money from their customers - things like water bills, energy bills, where there are millions of people who prefer not to pay by Direct Debit, nor online *FACT*
Add to that Catalogue companies and direct mailings from companies because not everyone responds to e-mails
But then you never did answer my original point, and that is why would the company spend millions of pounds on CSS machines and trained staff to use them if the letter business were not profitable?? It just doesn't make sense if letters are dwindling as much as RM say they are.
All I can say to that is the fact that I used to deliver from 2 bags of mail and now its something like 7 or 8 - and its often mostly mail that fills it - so I'm afraid the mail that I am delivering everyday hasn't dwindled for me! *FACT*
And you say that people don't care what time that people get their delivery. Again, do you have any FACTS to support your view?? To me, its very easy to keep spouting what Royal Mail want and the reasons why they want it bearing in mind the amount of correspondence that we have had in recent weeks, and do you know where that correspondence is coming from?? Letters, for f$$k sake!!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Phantom
- Posts: 1234
- Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
- Gender: Female
- Location: New York
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
Perhaps you can tell me why deliveries are not going out then? and why mail is being left in the building due for delivery on daily basis all around the country? and don't answer with "it's a staffing crisis" and that old cliché.Tman wrote:Yep, that's the aspiration of every stock-holder in every large (ex) FTSE100 company...to run it into the ground and lose their investment.Phantom wrote:[
No I don't like what it is doing, running down into the ground with no future, you must obviously want that eh? Cos that's where we are heading.
Just like all the Monday morning football managers...just ask Joe Postie where it's all going wrong (allegedly)
CUT OFF!!!
-
Phantom
- Posts: 1234
- Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
- Gender: Female
- Location: New York
I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1
Are you sure you're a postal worker? would you like a knife to cut your own throat? Jesus f***ing wept - I've read it all now - it's a good job we didn't have to rely on people like you and some of the others in this thread during the war otherwise we would be f****d!!!glfp wrote:That isn't the bottom line.fishtank wrote:Packets / Parcels people want delivered every day.
Letter deliveries 6 days a week = pointless.
You don't really understand Royal Mail much.
The way the business is set up we have simultaneous letter and parcel deliveries, the bulk of the labour costs are offset against the letter delivery side. This makes letter delivery expensive and unprofitable on paper but what it means because we're already out on the street the parcel business is on paper low cost. This allows us to have some of the lowest pricing levels for parcels in the industry and maintain a customer to customer small parcel stream ( eBay etc ) that would otherwise be economically unsustainable.
The bottom line is without letter deliveries we would need to either massively hike our prices and possibly lose most of our market share or sack the entire workforce and join the likes of Hermes in a dogfight for the low cost market. With the management team we have I would give us about 6 months before Hermes or Yodel swallowed us whole.
I understand RM all too well.
1) The bulk of the labour cost is caused by far less automation than successful companies
2) The big one - daily delivery to each home - post people walking up long driveways with one letter !
The USO, in my opinion, is outdated and 6 days a week delivery is absurd.
I've done rurals and driven up a country lane to deliver one letter numerous times.
That is the bottom line.
3) An inflexible workforce who pine for yesteryear and resist the slightest change.
You only have to look at your mail to see that 6 days a week is totally unneccessary
CUT OFF!!!