ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by glfp »

Danelectro wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:Holland nah reduced USO from 6 to 5 days a week.Ram it.
A reduced USO makes perfect sense for non business customers.
Packets / Parcels people want delivered every day.

Letter deliveries 6 days a week = pointless.
It's nearly all junk - even my ageing parents say that.
Total waste of time.
The bulk of people in this country pay bills by direct debit - pay for goods via card payments / paypal online.
Most people under 40 haven't even got a cheque book.

I paid my road fund licence online without a single piece of paper needed.

This will only continue.

A 6 day USO is simply not required for letters.
Magazines are moving to online only.
The days of screwfix etc posting mail are numbered.

IN 10 years time RM will only be here if everyone wakes up to the fact that parcels are the future.

Stop hankering for the good old days they are gone.

The bulk of people dont give a toss if they even have a mail delivery let alone what time it comes unless they are expecting a parcel or a very rare important letter.

The only people who moan to me about what time they get their mail are ones who have nothing better to do.

I exclude businesses; although when you hear Dave Ward saying about businesses needing their post early to bank cheques you realise how hideously out of date the CWU are.
Dinosaurs fighting to keep technology away from RM.
You see machines don't pay subs to CWU to support Momentum.
Best Regards
Graham
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by BeamishStout »

glfp wrote: I guess you agree with me on most of it then to just pick that out.
You guess incorrectly - sorry to disappoint. :cry
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by glfp »

BeamishStout wrote:
glfp wrote: I guess you agree with me on most of it then to just pick that out.
You guess incorrectly - sorry to disappoint. :cry
Don't care !
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

I give up. The death of RM wont be due to privatisation/modernisation. It will be due to its stubborn staff and unwillingness to change and meet the challenges of the future and a changing business environment. Best of luck folks. Some of you are really gona need it as another employer isnt gona touch you with a barge pole with your attitudes.

We are all just going round in circles. I think I get it. Most of you want the job to stay like yesteryear.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by BeamishStout »

glfp wrote:
BeamishStout wrote:
glfp wrote: I guess you agree with me on most of it then to just pick that out.
You guess incorrectly - sorry to disappoint. :cry
Don't care !
OK you win m8 have a nice day :thumbup
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by glfp »

BeamishStout wrote:
glfp wrote:
BeamishStout wrote:
glfp wrote: I guess you agree with me on most of it then to just pick that out.
You guess incorrectly - sorry to disappoint. :cry
Don't care !
OK you win m8 have a nice day :thumbup
You too ! :wave

Differences of opinion !
Respect :thumbup
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Danelectro »

glfp wrote:
Danelectro wrote:
UrbanPirate wrote:Holland nah reduced USO from 6 to 5 days a week.Ram it.
A reduced USO makes perfect sense for non business customers.
Packets / Parcels people want delivered every day.

Letter deliveries 6 days a week = pointless.
It's nearly all junk - even my ageing parents say that.
Total waste of time.
The bulk of people in this country pay bills by direct debit - pay for goods via card payments / paypal online.
Most people under 40 haven't even got a cheque book.

I paid my road fund licence online without a single piece of paper needed.

This will only continue.

A 6 day USO is simply not required for letters.
Magazines are moving to online only.
The days of screwfix etc posting mail are numbered.

IN 10 years time RM will only be here if everyone wakes up to the fact that parcels are the future.

Stop hankering for the good old days they are gone.

The bulk of people dont give a toss if they even have a mail delivery let alone what time it comes unless they are expecting a parcel or a very rare important letter.

The only people who moan to me about what time they get their mail are ones who have nothing better to do.

I exclude businesses; although when you hear Dave Ward saying about businesses needing their post early to bank cheques you realise how hideously out of date the CWU are.
Dinosaurs fighting to keep technology away from RM.
You see machines don't pay subs to CWU to support Momentum.
Best Regards
Graham
That's your rather tired opinion and nothing more and it was not the basis of the bill that ran through parliament to privatise RM,the privatisation was to SAVE the USO and not sell off an asset owned by the tax payer at a loss and make investors round the world easy money.

Tax payers who from the middle class downwards have seen their living standards slashed by up to 24% since 2008 and their public services cut to the bone and starved of revenues do not buy your opinion that selling an asset that produces £0.7 Billion profit a year for £3.5 Billion was or is a good deal.They can see they have been sold a lemon and do not want business as usual.

You seem to mix up various issues and present them as one,nobody denies that letter traffic is declining but the union have negotiated 80,000 job losses in the last 10 years and during that time there has been a significant increase in population to at least make up some of the shortfall of a declining product.

The increased population has meant an increase in delivery points and therefore creates a bigger potential market for D2D than 10 years ago .And who says that in the age of 3D printing that some unknown letter sized product will not be needed in the future.

Whose not focusing on delivering parcels and the future? I delivered 70 pkts and parcels,10 recorded letters and 6 Special Deliveries along with 1200 items of mail yesterday but I disagree that any other mail company should be receive the benefits of my labour by accessing our network nor think an investor has the God given right to expect increased returns year on year.
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by glfp »

politics, politics, politics Ad Nauseum
ATB
Graham
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Lounge Lizard »

jetblack wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:...
You said I was anti democratic and a fascist. I asked you to qualify that statement. You haven't - rather you've launched another gratuitous attack without foundation. I mean - who are you exactly to tell me that I lack compassion ? Why ? Cos I don't want to give a strikebreaker a big hug. And that makes me a 'prig' ?

Let me try another approach and lets see if you can comment on this without personal attack.
The union could be seen as a conglomeration of relations between people who have a common goal. In some ways we might compare it to a marriage - the point being that when you enter into the relationship/contract/marriage there are certain rules/vows - and you relinquish your own selfish desires for the betterment of the family unit/union.
Lets say that Mrs. Jetblack shows no faith in me and has an affair outside of marriage. If this were to occur I would boot Mrs. JB out the door if I ever found out. You clearly wouldn't. You would scratch your head for a few months wondering what you did wrong and try to treat her better in the future in the hope that she doesn't stray again. Oh, and you'd talk. Good for you - you are a better man than me. More compassionate etc.
However - Mrs JB holds exactly the same view as myself. That is, if I were ever to break the marriage vow no amount of heartfelt hugs would stop her from booting me out the door. There would be no second chances. I do not begrudge her this stance - I completely concur.
The important bit is that it is precisely those attitudes to infidelity that help keep us on the straight and narrow. That, and love. We are happy - we work well together. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. It is the knowledge that there would be real repercussions to our actions that circumscribe (for want of a better word) our decisions.

What you are arguing for isn't democracy at all - its a free for all. Fishtank upthread compared it to US style alt right libertarianism. I know what he's saying and he's right - but I'd more compare it to an anarchist jungle. The war of all against all. Thomas Hobbes talked about it in Leviathon.
There must be rules and those rules must be upheld. It comes over to you like I'm being heartless and cold, that I lack compassion - its not that at all. I can see whats necessary in this situation re. strikebreakers, and that is that they should be expelled from the union. I don't think that you are seeing the problem clearly TBH - and thats why we are in the bizarre situation whereby you are choosing to attack me rather than a strikebreaker. Thats been the story of the left for the last 40 years - so I suppose it shouldn't surprise me. Internal feuding rather than coming together against our real opponents.

I don't like to give too much away about my i.d. online but I'll tell you this much. I was born and brought up in a pit village. My ancestors were all miners going back as far as I have been able to trace to the 1850's. I would have been one too no doubt were it not for the fact that Thatcher laid waste to industrial Britain. I witnessed first hand the 1984 miners strike and its effects. I witnessed people struggling financially alright - and it wasn't the 'strikebreakers' - it was the striking miners who were fighting to keep communities alive, who believed in something bigger than just 'me, me ,me'.
The strikebreakers in that dispute thought their jobs were safe - so they sold their fellow workers down the river. They were wrong of course - theyultimately lost their jobs as well - just like the NUM told them they would. But they thought they'd be alright jack. They thought they knew better.
They didn't - what their actions did ensure was that this country would be enslaved to neo-liberalism for a generation and that their very own communities would become hotbeds of crime and drug abuse. The damage that the actions of these selfish idiots brought about has been immense - not only for themselves but for the whole country. And you want me to have a cup of tea with them and talk it through.

This isn't a game of sudoku - this is very serious stuff. This is our lives, this goes to the core of all that we hold dear, our beliefs, who we are. Sorry if I feel strongly about it - but TBH I wish that one or two more of you felt a bit more passionate about these things, particularly if you hold a position within the union. Or is the union for you some sort of social club ? What is it going to take to bring it home to you ?



Anyhow, its a shame you wouldn't want to stand with me on a picket line Clash. I'm a decent bloke - you know, I believe in stuff, more than just 'I'll do as I please'. I guarantee you this - I won't be the one bangin' your wife behind your back and making a cuckold of your forgiving arse .
But I suppose if I'm being honest I wouldn't really want to stand with you either. And until you can qualify what it is in what I've just wrote (and wrote previously) that makes me a fascist and undemocratic this is only going to end in divorce old son.
:cry :cry :cry
JetBlack,
UrbanPirate, with his “What the f**k did I just read :crazy:“, wouldn’t understand but you and I well know that time doesn’t heal and memories don’t fade.
A few weeks ago I chatted for a couple of minutes to a woman on my round who taught in the village school during the miner’s strike and she reminded me how the whole community rallied round donating food and doing other things to help the families of the striking miners. Also a few weeks ago I got talking in the pub to a man who very much looks to have a troubled mind and he spoke of all ‘the bad feeling’ ever since the strike so I’m in no doubt that he crossed the picket line all those years ago.
I well remember as a youngster all the men who died before their time from “the dust”, pneumoconiosis, and the “What are you, man or mouse?” type boldness of working miners.
If UrbanPirate doesn’t consider mining communities relevant to us on here he could do worse than read ‘Please, Mister Postman’, the second volume of Alan Johnson’s memoirs.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16716
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by clashcityrocker »

jetblack wrote: I can see whats necessary in this situation re. strikebreakers, and that is that they should be expelled from the union.it - but TBH I wish that one or two more of you felt a bit more passionate about these things, particularly if you hold a position within the union. Or is the union for you some sort of social club ? What is it going to take to bring it home to you ?
If expelling strikebreakers from the union is necessary why is nobody from the union actually proposing it? How many other unions propose/implement it?
It is completely unworkable anyway. What will you do with those who turn up in civvies at a different DO? How will anyone know if they are strikebreakers or managers?
And those that hide under cover in the back of a van?

The only weapon we have at our disposal is education. I don't want any other one.

Postie A was on the picket line every day during the 7 week strike, Has paid his union dues every week and never once crossed a picket line.
His wife has had a stroke and a wayward son has stolen his life savings. He is struggling financially and he is already behind with his rent. If he goes on strike today he could well end up homeless. Out of necessity and against his lifetime convictions he crosses a picket line and goes to work.
Is he now a class traitor who needs to be expelled from the union?
How have you made your union stronger?

My dad was a bodyguard for a fascist leader in WW2. I know fascist tendencies when I see them.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3226
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Acca Dacca »

clashcityrocker wrote:
jetblack wrote: I can see whats necessary in this situation re. strikebreakers, and that is that they should be expelled from the union.it - but TBH I wish that one or two more of you felt a bit more passionate about these things, particularly if you hold a position within the union. Or is the union for you some sort of social club ? What is it going to take to bring it home to you ?
Postie A was on the picket line every day during the 7 week strike, Has paid his union dues every week and never once crossed a picket line.
His wife has had a stroke and a wayward son has stolen his life savings. He is struggling financially and he is already behind with his rent. If he goes on strike today he could well end up homeless.
Cmon thats quite a concoction even for a hypothetical example
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Lounge Lizard »

clashcityrocker wrote:
jetblack wrote: I can see whats necessary in this situation re. strikebreakers, and that is that they should be expelled from the union.it - but TBH I wish that one or two more of you felt a bit more passionate about these things, particularly if you hold a position within the union. Or is the union for you some sort of social club ? What is it going to take to bring it home to you ?
If expelling strikebreakers from the union is necessary why is nobody from the union actually proposing it? How many other unions propose/implement it?
It is completely unworkable anyway. What will you do with those who turn up in civvies at a different DO? How will anyone know if they are strikebreakers or managers?
And those that hide under cover in the back of a van?

The only weapon we have at our disposal is education. I don't want any other one.

Postie A was on the picket line every day during the 7 week strike, Has paid his union dues every week and never once crossed a picket line.
His wife has had a stroke and a wayward son has stolen his life savings. He is struggling financially and he is already behind with his rent. If he goes on strike today he could well end up homeless. Out of necessity and against his lifetime convictions he crosses a picket line and goes to work.
Is he now a class traitor who needs to be expelled from the union?
How have you made your union stronger?

My dad was a bodyguard for a fascist leader in WW2. I know fascist tendencies when I see them.
Clash,
If Postie A was in such dire financial straits (a) I'm sure the Rowland Hill Fund would be willing to help and (b) one days pay would hardly get him straight financially. :roll:
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by Danelectro »

clashcityrocker wrote:
Postie A was on the picket line every day during the 7 week strike, Has paid his union dues every week and never once crossed a picket line.
His wife has had a stroke and a wayward son has stolen his life savings. He is struggling financially and he is already behind with his rent. If he goes on strike today he could well end up homeless. Out of necessity and against his lifetime convictions he crosses a picket line and goes to work.
Is he now a class traitor who needs to be expelled from the union?
.
I would hope Postie A would receive a whip round from members in that situation? or help from the branch ?
I agree that expelling strike breakers is unworkable but know where Jet is coming from and no amount of education is enough for some individuals who often revel in strike breaking and are only too willing to get members the sack on the back of it Theres a certain word for it.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by fishtank »

Packets / Parcels people want delivered every day.

Letter deliveries 6 days a week = pointless.

You don't really understand Royal Mail much.
The way the business is set up we have simultaneous letter and parcel deliveries, the bulk of the labour costs are offset against the letter delivery side. This makes letter delivery expensive and unprofitable on paper but what it means because we're already out on the street the parcel business is on paper low cost. This allows us to have some of the lowest pricing levels for parcels in the industry and maintain a customer to customer small parcel stream ( eBay etc ) that would otherwise be economically unsustainable.

The bottom line is without letter deliveries we would need to either massively hike our prices and possibly lose most of our market share or sack the entire workforce and join the likes of Hermes in a dogfight for the low cost market. With the management team we have I would give us about 6 months before Hermes or Yodel swallowed us whole.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
UrbanPirate
Posts: 120
Joined: 07 Sep 2017, 07:47
Gender: Male

I agree with all of RM's proposals bar 1

Post by UrbanPirate »

"JetBlack,
UrbanPirate, with his “What the f**k did I just read :crazy:“, wouldn’t understand but you and I well know that time doesn’t heal and memories don’t fade."

Its been 35+ years. Seriously GET OVER IT! But please answer me what state the mining communities would be in today if maggie didnt restructure the economy then? Do you really think that Britain could maintain global competitiveness?

And the two really don't compare. One was the foundation of national economics/industry 35 years ago. Ours is one of delivery with many competitors in the private sector in 2017. You lot really are dino's clinging on to the past. The minors at least had some leverage. We dont. Do you really think the world will stop because RM doesnt bring them their post/packets. NOPE! Because one of our competitors will. The customer will just use another business.