ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman lived with a tiny traffic cone in his lung for 40 years after inhaling it as a child

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman lived with a tiny traffic cone in his lung for 40 years after inhaling it as a child

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/ ... s_a_child/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A POSTMAN lived with a tiny traffic cone lodged in his lung for 40 years after inhaling it as a child.

Paul Baxter, who works at the Royal Mail Delivery Office in Blackburn, inhaled the Playmobil cone which was part of a police traffic set he received as a seventh birthday present.

The dad-of-two was referred to hospital after complaining of a persistent cough with doctors fearing he had cancer after a dark mass was found on his chest.

It was on the operating table at Royal Preston Hospital that doctors discovered the cone which the 50-year-old cannot remember inhaling.

He said: "Kids eat things and I obviously chewed on my toys. But I can't even remember swallowing it to be honest.

"I have been told that I must have inhaled it for it to go into my windpipe.

"If I had swallowed it, it would have gone into my stomach and out the other end."

Paul was referred to Royal Preston Hospital for a bronchoscopy - where doctors sent a camera into his lungs - to see if they could find what was causing the niggling cough.

Paul, who lives Croston with his wife Helen, 46, said: "Doctors said they could see something orange down my throat but didn't know what it was.

"The operation was under local anesthetic and when they removed the cone in the theatre it was hilarious, everyone in the room just laughed.

"It has come out in perfect working order, you can even still see the markings."

There was a chance for the toy to find the light of day when Paul was admitted to hospital with a bout of pneumonia more than 20 years ago, but it was never spotted.

And again in 2004 when Paul had a full body MRI scan when he had a brain abscess.

Paul said: "When I was 18 I had pneumonia and I was in hospital for two weeks and even then doctors never picked it up on the x-rays that were taken."

The doctor presented the cone to Paul and he's now kept it as a souvenir of his ordeal.

He said: "I thought it was just a normal chest infection. I wasn't aware of how serious it could have been."

Experts said it's likely he went symptomless for so long because of how young he was when he ingested the toy, suggesting that as he grew older, his airways adapted around the foreign object.

Dr Mohammed Munavvar, has been a doctor for 30 years, was the man who discovered the tiny toy.

He said: "I have never come across something quite this extraordinary before. There have been one or two other things but nothing quite like this."

At first, Dr Munavvar feared the worst, with Paul being a former smoker and having been coughing up yellow mucus for months.

"There was concern about something more serious underlying the problem Paul was experiencing," Dr Munavvar said.

"It was honestly a full on surprise when I saw what the blockage actually was."

The operation took place in 2015 but came to light recently when it was written about in a BMJ Case Reports medical journal.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Postman lived with a tiny traffic cone in his lung for 40 years after inhaling it as a child

Post by POSTMAN »

Watch the video, piss taking colleague lol
Cone head.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Postman lived with a tiny traffic cone in his lung for 40 years after inhaling it as a child

Post by redneck »

:chuckle :chuckle :chuckle

Classic office humour, v good
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Postman lived with a tiny traffic cone in his lung for 40 years after inhaling it as a child

Post by k979aaa »

Would not be the first time a traffic cone caused congestion but that guy with the traffic cone on his head. :chuckle