ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32809
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by POSTMAN »

UrbanPirate wrote:
Lincox wrote:I would like to hear Urban Pirates take on this!
I think you already know what I think of this. Mostly reasonable and not the end of the world.


"Your second bundle will be the remaining 5% sequencing which will be walk sorted and the removed work. This will form your second bundle.

The third bundle will be door to door which will be collated.

You will be expected to merge these three bundles whilst out on the street delivering!"



Also, as stated in the other thread. The quoted section above I believe to being totally mental and unworkable. The ideas of an imaginative mind not based in reality. Are there any results of any testing done on this? Surely someone somewhere has trialled this?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=canad ... e&ie=UTF-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Search for winnipeg on the site and see this also...
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... 40&t=31233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by Ozzvaldo »

mark.cup wrote:
Ozzvaldo wrote:
mark.cup wrote:I just don't see how this can ever happen in a modern world? owning the work load is a polite version of being a slave!

You have contracted hours end of story :crazy:
I totally agree, but I suspect RM will try to marry the idea with the concept of "annualised hours" ie. what you go over in the busier times of the year, you will make up for at the lighter times of the year. Not in my office we won't, where many deliveries have overrun on a regular basis throughout the "quiet" Summer months.

In a similar argument, my DM can't understand why so many staff are booking extended OT when, "The rise in packets/parcels and thus attendance calls is compensated for by the fall in letter volumes"

Lots of reasonable people do stuff like this already if I finish 15 minutes early one day I won't cut off with 15 minutes work the next I know some would and they are entitled to do so!

But there is no way on earth with ever growing delivery spans you could be expected to work for instance 2 hours over on a Wednesday compulsory with no overtime when you have other non work commitments they can't legally make you work more than your contracted hours
I'm not disagreeing with you, just speculating how the RM machine will attempt to justify this policy.

When I say that many deliveries in my office (and I can only speak for my office, never having worked in another) are overrunning regularly even in the Summer, I'm actually talking about an hour plus for some of them and at least half an hour for most. Due to geographical isolation, lack of town centre shopping facilities, people looking to save money etc. our packet/parcel traffic has gone through the roof compared to 5 years ago (and we still have the full range of Amazon packet sizes....loads of it, even in the Summer), and owning the workload/annualised hours would be a disaster for us.

The workload from the middle of last October (and I'm not exaggerating, that's when folks' Christmas purchases started to ramp up in my office) up until Christmas was absolutely incredible and some of those who didn't elect to cut off were often out until 6-7pm. As we have a nominal finishing time of 3pm already, you can appreciate that moving the pipeline back 2 hours (or even 3 because we are a long way from our mail centre) coupled with owning the workload/annualised hours would create major problems in terms of personal safety out on delivery and simply being able to actually call your own time your own during the months leading up to Christmas.
mark.cup
Posts: 303
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 20:54
Gender: Male

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by mark.cup »

Ozzvaldo I knew you were agreeing mate! I was just putting it out there that most of us will give and take a bit as one or two blinkered people on this forum lately think all of us but them are militant,useless dinosaurs :arrrghhh

That really isn't the case we know things change we've seen enough of it but that doesn't mean it has to happen for the sake of it and always at ground level staffs expense
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by Martin Walsh »

I would urge you all too read Mike Newby's letter too Terry Pullinger which is on this site if you scroll down. In this the new pay offer is linked too 4 trails , one of which is the multi bundle option Royal Mail are deadly serious over this. By maximising the first wave and not than sort this work into a frame means they can remove the bigger prep frames and with staggered start times i.e. Two people using the same frame one starting at 9 and than the on there one starting at 11 by changing the fillets over as you use too on a second delivery than they will have the space to close more Delivery offices.

Remember if you have a thousand letters on your walk than 950 will no longer be sorted into your frame but checked and tied down. Only 50 letters and your manual will need too be sorted into your frame.

Royal Mail if you recall wanted too introduce the body warmer at the Wasall trail which had a pouch so you could hold d2d and merge whilst on the street. Additionally they tried too get the CWU too go mediation to use the body warming merging jacket in other units. The CWU refused.

Whilst merging on deliveries is common in other European postal administrations none of them deliver the mix of mail we do. Additionally it is in the CWU opinion not safe too have 3 bundles of Mail out and merging on crowded streets or estates and you still than got too balance your PDA , Parcels and PS items.

This is part of this dispute there are very few senior managers who have been postmen and women and their ideas are driven by cost cutting and not based on sound workable solutions which will deliver a viable service in the future.

Look at some of their recent flawed ideas they spent millions on buy letter walk sequecing machines when letters were declined and they never reached the required savings from the introduction.

They spent millions on World Class initiatives and what has it achieved ?

They bought parcel machines thinking it would perform at x and did not count for the ejects and rejects.

If you want too go further back who remembers rebranding too consiignia or the promise of Colleague share based on a sound business plan ? Or when we bought foreign parcels companies and than quickly sold all off for peanuts apart from GLS.

So those who have faith in the board good luck ! The only group who are fighting too protect postal workers are the CWU and its members !
mark.cup
Posts: 303
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 20:54
Gender: Male

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by mark.cup »

Dingo I remember all that stuff Consignia,buying and selling foreign businesses to fiddle the books going from 1 year making a million a day to the following losing a million a day....


The letter sorting machines according to our own unit manager who lives and breaths Royal Mail a total waste of money and he initially believed the hype and told us we were basically all doomed prior to it turning up!
Deadly
Posts: 703
Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
Gender: Male

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by Deadly »

And let's not forget that Royal Mail are wanting to stick collections on the end of deliveries. I've said it before but if i was a collections driver then I'd be very worried for my job.
oypostie
Posts: 918
Joined: 25 Dec 2007, 13:39

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by oypostie »

Will mail centres ever achieve 95% sorted. Most of the manual sorting is already very small items like nectar or clubcard leaflets or flats in sticky plastic e.g. screwfix. Will the machines ever do these. Personally i doubt it
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by wannabeek »

In some twisted universe I would love to say yes to RM - let's have your magical machines sequence 95% of the mail then give me a garment so that I can merge that last 5% while walking down the road, just so that I could witness this chaos.

It's so utterly bonkers that if it weren't actually a real proposition it would be hilariously awful.

As it is, it's just terrifying that anyone in charge believes this possible to do... in the dark as well!!!
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by Danelectro »

The ONLY proposal worth looking at is seasonal hours- IF! this meant an end to lapsing.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12200
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by SpacePhoenix »

oypostie wrote:Will mail centres ever achieve 95% sorted. Most of the manual sorting is already very small items like nectar or clubcard leaflets or flats in sticky plastic e.g. screwfix. Will the machines ever do these. Personally i doubt it
To get 95% you'd need most of the content of wave 2 as well
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by wannabeek »

Danelectro wrote:The ONLY proposal worth looking at is seasonal hours- IF! this meant an end to lapsing.
Hmm. Speak for yourself. I don't mind doing an extra hour in the summer when the sun is shining - I'm not impressed by the idea of working an extra hour in the winter when it's dark and wet!

You're saying knock off early in the summer when it's actually easier to deliver but work extra time in the winter instead, when it's harder to deliver, I reckon.
Danelectro
Posts: 1058
Joined: 13 Apr 2008, 01:02

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by Danelectro »

wannabeek wrote:
Danelectro wrote:The ONLY proposal worth looking at is seasonal hours- IF! this meant an end to lapsing.
Hmm. Speak for yourself. I don't mind doing an extra hour in the summer when the sun is shining - I'm not impressed by the idea of working an extra hour in the winter when it's dark and wet!

You're saying knock off early in the summer when it's actually easier to deliver but work extra time in the winter instead, when it's harder to deliver, I reckon.
Not trying to sell it or say there's an acceptable deal in the making but was thinking of 30mins shorter for 2 months in the Summer and the opposite for 6 weeks in the busy period.Delivery not necessarily longer in the busy period as the extra 30 mins would be the indoor sort and prep required at that time of year.
Lincox
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3485
Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
Gender: Male

CWU London 4 Pillars Updates : Delivery : Processing : Distribution : Collections

Post by Lincox »

wannabeek wrote:
Danelectro wrote:The ONLY proposal worth looking at is seasonal hours- IF! this meant an end to lapsing.
Hmm. Speak for yourself. I don't mind doing an extra hour in the summer when the sun is shining - I'm not impressed by the idea of working an extra hour in the winter when it's dark and wet!

You're saying knock off early in the summer when it's actually easier to deliver but work extra time in the winter instead, when it's harder to deliver, I reckon.
Personally I found winter delivery (apart from when it was cold and p..ssing down) much more comfortable than Summer. You can wrap up warm in the winter and movement creates enough heat to keep your body warm. Fortunately I never suffered with cold feet or hands. Summer I found to be very uncomfortable as there is a limit to the clothes you can shed. The heat made my feet and hands swell and the constant scratching of the head through sweat and bugs. The Summer was much more knackering.