glfp wrote:Can't say I disagree with any of this either.UrbanPirate wrote:Classy. Calling people names on the internet make you feel hard mate?tommyrep wrote:I agree and urban Pirate is a RM Troll, 1st class, gold medal, Moyà bitch.Lincox wrote:This is the reason Urban Pirate is so far adrift with his take on this. There is no pay rise. There is £375 to offset a tiny piece of the huge reduction you are being asked to take in your overall employment package, and you are being asked to commit to a job where you have no idea what your finish time will be. If that is not a reason to strike for a better outcome I don't know what is.
As for what the person above said about being a shareholder. Yeh we are shareholders who deserve a say in how the business is run. But as a collective we hold a minority stake. Probably greatly diminished as allot of people sold their initial batch already. WE DO NOT OWN THE BUSINESS! There also seems to be people who begrudge RM for making profits and wanting to make even bigger profits. Businesses exist to make profits and its their prerogative to increase profits if they can and RM can by doing what they propose. What RM isn't is a charity that purely exists to offer you employment. I do agree that they could and perhaps should offer a better pay package considering profits. But are these profits promised year on year? Who knows as its to early to tell. So it would be silly for RM to offer such a thing based on very little info.
The pay offer is reasonable. I even said i suspect a final offer will be slightly better but not greatly. Times have changed, the job must change. Im not saying I like any of what is happening but I am being a realists.
Ultimately its this. Its about leverage. We have very little. Dont like it? Go elsewhere then? Oh, you cant find anywhere that will A. employ you, and B. offer you anything close to what RM are offering? RM management know this and they know they will crush any rebellion as people will be forced to trickle back to work and except these changes.
They couldn't care less if you like it or not. The big bad world doesn't care about your feelings. All this crying about what the job used to be and what it will become. Cold hard truth is the majority are wholly replaceable fairly easily. So il stick with my original post. What they are offering is reasonable.
I'm a current employee.
Royal Mail made 335 million profits ( the 700 is Royal Mail Group inc GLS etc)
335 million profit for a company as large as RM with such a huge network and 50% of the parcels market share is actually pretty poor.
When you joined the company you didn't sign up for life.
The world is ever changing and the CWU and many of the workforce are simply living in the past.
I voted NO and nothing anyone has written on this message board has made me even have a second thought.
I feel Terry Pullinger is leading his members into a battle that will not be won.
I feel Royal Mail will fully utilize a strike around christmas.
1) The public will turn against us.
2) Royal Mail will say any agreement we had has ended with strike action.
Remember 2008 - as Dingo said because you had gone out for 8 !!!!! days the CWU felt there was no appetite left to challenge RM over stitching up post 2008 employees pensions.
Be prepared for going on strike and coming back in to changes.
Pipeline will move.
The business will start to be broken up, or has been hinted by CWU, Royal Mail will use their huge cash flow to buy up some parcel companies and scale down this business = job losses.
I do actually understand where RM are coming from.
What can they do if the workforce and the union refuse to accept changes to the pipeine ?
Back down - that would be a very weak company.
No - any company will find another way.
Royal Mail will find another way - with or without you.
And please, please stop this "customers want there mail in the morning" talk - the bulk of them don't care.
Letters are an ever decreasing necessity now - packets are the future.
There are thousands of couriers working for companies on inferior terms to RM employees that will jump at delivering parcels for Royal Mail
Ever thought of that.
Strike at chtistmas and they probably will.
Get on with it or leave. Stark, cold reality.
ATB
Graham
This is a very hard right economic perspective which I do have some sympathy with but there are some aspects that you don't address.
One is that you are still lumping Royal Mail employees in with other courier firms when there are stark differences. No other courier employee delivers letters and walks 10 + miles in all weathers. Yes, plenty of them can deliver parcels but have nowhere near the local knowledge that posties have and cannot deliver small parcels because it wouldn't be economically viable. I would never make the mistake of underestimating these facts nor do I over estimate things, we are not doctors or teachers and the world won't fall apart without us.
All companies have to think about surviving in the real world but no business will survive if it doesn't take its staff with it during any changes. We all have experience with cowboy companies that employ poor quality employees and we know what that is like. I think the public would be concerned with cowboys controlling all the letters and small packets.
We need a yes vote along with very limited action so that minds can be focused to find a resolution.
