ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Carlisle postal boss sets off on trek to Everest

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Carlisle postal boss sets off on trek to Everest

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Carli ... e4d55a0-ds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A Carlisle postal boss will climb to Mount Everest to help young people who are suffering from depression and mental health problems.

Mark Wilkinson, Royal Mail's director of delivery for Carlisle and the north east, has been training for a year and has even given up beer to help him in his charity trek.

Mark will help raise funds for a new schools’ initiative, the Blues Programme, which supports young people aged 15 to 18 who are suffering from, or at risk of developing, depression and other mental health problems.

Although he has undertaken previous fundraising challenges, Mark is in no doubt that this one reaches new heights given the dangers he will face before he even gets to Everest.

Mark said: "This is something that not many people do, it’s a real once in a lifetime opportunity.

" Although I’ve been training hard for the trek, things like the effects of altitude sickness you can’t really prepare yourself for.

"Even getting there is risky – I will fly out to Lukla airport, which is known as the most dangerous airport in the world.

!All being well, from there I will trek for seven days before reaching Everest Base Camp which is at an altitude of 18,000 feet... then have to trek all the way back down."

Action for Children is Royal Mail’s charity partner, so every penny Mark raises will be will be matched by his employer.

Mark said, “I know the work Action for Children does with young people is so important, and I am aiming to raise at least £2,000 for the charity – which will be matched by Royal Mail.

"I hope it will really help support young people in need. That will be the motivation for me to reach Base Camp through any tough times, and I’m sure there will be a huge sense of achievement and relief when I finally plant the Royal Mail and Action for Children flag up there.

"I’m also looking forward to a celebratory drink when I get down safely, not least as I have given up beer to help me train."

Mark set off on his epic challenge this weekend – you can still donate to help him raise funds for Action for Children http://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Wilkinson-Everest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and is hoping to return safe and sound in three weeks' time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Carlisle postal boss sets off on trek to Everest

Post by Lounge Lizard »

"Action for Children is Royal Mail’s charity partner, so every penny Mark raises will be will be matched by his employer" :thumbup but that's not likely to last much longer as every penny for charity matched by Royal Mail is a penny not going as dividends to the shareholders. :shock:
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Carlisle postal boss sets off on trek to Everest

Post by Mobey »

Maybe when he climbs this, he could see how hard it's to be in peoples shoes with mental health illnesses. Climbing a big mountain is like having a mental health condition!