ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Weighing Scales Removed

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Weighing Scales Removed

Post by wannabeek »

So it's my fault you're saying. Maybe you're right. I just want to only be given stuff that I'm allowed by their rules to deliver - is that so much to ask?!
I don't believe that me refusing to handle that parcel would have in any way got to the attention of the people accepting it into the system.


Some poor sap who didn't know the RM weight limits would have been given it and he'd have carried it to the dude's door!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12200
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Weighing Scales Removed

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wannabeek wrote:Had a parcel recently. It was a microwave oven. Said on the packaging that it weighed 18kg. How the hecky-peck did this item enter our system and go out on a singleton delivery when our supposed lifting limit is 16kg??? Stupid lying company.

PS, I got a colleague to carry it out to my van with me and I knocked on the recipient's door then got them to carry it into their house from the back of the van. Don't know if that's correct procedure but it was what I decided to do in the circumstances on the spot - he was a large fella!

I can physically lift 18kg but I've signed RM forms to say that I won't.

Stupid lying company.
Tracked item?
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Weighing Scales Removed

Post by wannabeek »

Yes, the massive ones always are. No post office would accept such a bonkers item.

I did refuse to deliver a tracked parcel once - it was so long it stuck 2 feet out of the back of my van!

I guess they either got a big van in to deliver it or (more likely) some idiot colleague drove along with it sticking out the back!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12200
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Weighing Scales Removed

Post by SpacePhoenix »

wannabeek wrote:Yes, the massive ones always are. No post office would accept such a bonkers item.

I did refuse to deliver a tracked parcel once - it was so long it stuck 2 feet out of the back of my van!

I guess they either got a big van in to deliver it or (more likely) some idiot colleague drove along with it sticking out the back!
They get passed to RM to deliver from Parcel Force
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Weighing Scales Removed

Post by wannabeek »

Maybe way up north but we have Parcelforce here, doing the same calls we do. I asked the local driver once what the deal was, why we were getting these massive parcels. He showed me his - they were bigger, but there were some tiddly ones. We couldn't see the logic to it.

Don't know, don't care, crap happens and we just deal with it. Shame RM don't see that.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Weighing Scales Removed

Post by Lounge Lizard »

wannabeek wrote:So it's my fault you're saying. Maybe you're right. I just want to only be given stuff that I'm allowed by their rules to deliver - is that so much to ask?!
I don't believe that me refusing to handle that parcel would have in any way got to the attention of the people accepting it into the system.


Some poor sap who didn't know the RM weight limits would have been given it and he'd have carried it to the dude's door!
No, more the fault of whoever accepted it, often the 'open all hours' Post Office Locals that have little idea what they're meant to do and not do. :thumbdown
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Weighing Scales Removed

Post by Lounge Lizard »

wannabeek wrote:Yes, the massive ones always are. No post office would accept such a bonkers item.

I did refuse to deliver a tracked parcel once - it was so long it stuck 2 feet out of the back of my van!

I guess they either got a big van in to deliver it or (more likely) some idiot colleague drove along with it sticking out the back!
The biggest parcel I had was a car, Mini, bumper which fits in a Combo but not a Bipper. :arrrghhh
Yes I did deliver it, and not just because the recipient always remembers me at Christmas. :nana