I have to agree 100% with Dorset Plodder. I started the job as a stop gap when I was out of work and here I am 23 years later. The early start and finish appealed to me and if you had any other work to be done you had the afternoons to do it. We're looking at 9 - 5 in our office if/when the changes come in and it doesn't suit any of us, but what can we do? It seems to be happening, and that's it.Dorset Plodder wrote:I believe most Posties took the job because they are "Early Birds" and enjoy, or can't help, being up and about early in the day. I love waking up to see the Sunrise through my bedroom window. I've been doing it so long now that I only set the alarm as a precaution, and normally wake up in time to switch it off before it goes off.![]()
When balancing the Pros & Cons of taking the job a lot of us probably thought, "Well the money's not Fantastic but at least I can get finished early".If it moves to a later start it's just going to be another relatively poorly paid run of the mill 9-5 job.
I'm sure many of us can remember when we used to finish early enough to have a little part-time job in the afternoon, such as gardening or a bit of handyman work. You even used to be able to PLAY sport on a Saturday afternoon, bearing in mind you had to get home, get changed and pick your kit up AND get to club for kick off!Nowadays most of us are hard pressed to get home in time to WATCH a game on TV with a 1400 kick off!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
-
plaguelift
- Posts: 133
- Joined: 19 Apr 2011, 06:16
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
-
tonytucker
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Essex now
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
Theres no no game televised at 1400 kick off on a sat!Dorset Plodder wrote:I believe most Posties took the job because they are "Early Birds" and enjoy, or can't help, being up and about early in the day. I love waking up to see the Sunrise through my bedroom window. I've been doing it so long now that I only set the alarm as a precaution, and normally wake up in time to switch it off before it goes off.![]()
When balancing the Pros & Cons of taking the job a lot of us probably thought, "Well the money's not Fantastic but at least I can get finished early".If it moves to a later start it's just going to be another relatively poorly paid run of the mill 9-5 job.
I'm sure many of us can remember when we used to finish early enough to have a little part-time job in the afternoon, such as gardening or a bit of handyman work. You even used to be able to PLAY sport on a Saturday afternoon, bearing in mind you had to get home, get changed and pick your kit up AND get to club for kick off!Nowadays most of us are hard pressed to get home in time to WATCH a game on TV with a 1400 kick off!
BRING IT BACK BRING IT BACK
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
I reckon they would be more likely to expect a start time of 10am; have all mail loaded up and out on delivery at 11:00; deliver until 16:30 having had a 30 min break; then clearing all late boxes on the way back to office; finish time 17:00.
The major problem with that scenario is that the first hour is just too tight, even if their magical machines can sequence everything. Therefore we are likely to be pressured into being out until 6pm and beyond... !
The major problem with that scenario is that the first hour is just too tight, even if their magical machines can sequence everything. Therefore we are likely to be pressured into being out until 6pm and beyond... !
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12200
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
No chance. With the pipeline moved back a couple of hours, the lorries doing the DO runs will get caught in traffic so many DOs won't probably get any work in till after 09:00. I'd be surprised if all the indoor work in a DO could be done in an hourwannabeek wrote:I reckon they would be more likely to expect a start time of 10am; have all mail loaded up and out on delivery at 11:00; deliver until 16:30 having had a 30 min break; then clearing all late boxes on the way back to office; finish time 17:00.
The major problem with that scenario is that the first hour is just too tight, even if their magical machines can sequence everything. Therefore we are likely to be pressured into being out until 6pm and beyond... !
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
we went to the all singing and dancing longs and shorts
, we do at least a 45 + hr week now , the duty was tested at 6 + hrs and on a busy day 7 hrs and they added another 150 calls on
which we don't touch by the way , so you tell me how you can start at 9am and finish at 5pm ? , because we would not work a min over our time if it went to them hours
. they haven't got a clue what the job is like at our level , so vote yes to stop this shite.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
I'll take your word for it TT, I don't watch sport on the TV. The point I was trying to make is that a lot of us are finishing a lot later on Saturdays than we used to... VOTE YES.tonytucker wrote:Theres no no game televised at 1400 kick off on a sat!Dorset Plodder wrote: Nowadays most of us are hard pressed to get home in time to WATCH a game on TV with a 1400 kick off!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
rambo1
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3266
- Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
I don't get done till after 3 on a Saturday so why shouldn't everyone else?Whysoslowyehcfc wrote:Not on a Saturday
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
I've been shot at when working as a postie.......... so why shouldn't you be.rambo1 wrote:I don't get done till after 3 on a Saturday so why shouldn't everyone else?Whysoslowyehcfc wrote:Not on a Saturday
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
I would do unpaid lapsing rather than have to watch those grinning, hysterical, gibbering, drivelling halfwits on TV. I may be in middle age now technically, but if they appear see my speed and reflexes to grab the remote, identify the correct button, press and swear all in 0.78 seconds before they've even uttered their first inanity. The one with the forehead the size of Hampshire and the dodgy hair-weave makes my knuckles go white.saddlerposty wrote:I remember on Saturdays getting home to watch Ant & Dec on smtv (Saturday MORNING television show) with my two kids , now your lucky to be done a Saturday to see them on Saturday Night TakeawayDorset Plodder wrote:I believe most Posties took the job because they are "Early Birds" and enjoy, or can't help, being up and about early in the day. I love waking up to see the Sunrise through my bedroom window. I've been doing it so long now that I only set the alarm as a precaution, and normally wake up in time to switch it off before it goes off.![]()
When balancing the Pros & Cons of taking the job a lot of us probably thought, "Well the money's not Fantastic but at least I can get finished early".If it moves to a later start it's just going to be another relatively poorly paid run of the mill 9-5 job.
I'm sure many of us can remember when we used to finish early enough to have a little part-time job in the afternoon, such as gardening or a bit of handyman work. You even used to be able to PLAY sport on a Saturday afternoon, bearing in mind you had to get home, get changed and pick your kit up AND get to club for kick off!Nowadays most of us are hard pressed to get home in time to WATCH a game on TV with a 1400 kick off!
Back to the thread, I too took the job originally for the 7-14:00 format, escape the rush hour in the mornings and be up the school on time for kids. As said above, if forced to incur the extra travel time and expense of 9-5 delivery, or even later, you may as well re-join the rat race for another job that's easier. Or is that what they want?
-
twoloops
- Posts: 2041
- Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sheffield
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
You've hit the nail on the head there youth, along with the new online testing they can be a lot more picky, maybe a good clear out of the old dead wood would be a good move for RM?bustedflush wrote: you may as well re-join the rat race for another job that's easier. Or is that what they want?
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
mattycash wrote:You've hit the nail on the head there youth, along with the new online testing they can be a lot more picky, maybe a good clear out of the old dead wood would be a good move for RM?bustedflush wrote: you may as well re-join the rat race for another job that's easier. Or is that what they want?
In my experience you never clear out dead wood. The type of people who get called this have a very heightened sense of Survival. At the merest hint on anything being done to correct their idle ways they react like scalded cats. They are also inevitably the last people out of the door, they know when they've got a cushy number and probably the only effective way to get rid of them is make the entire workforce redundant!
On the other hand during any sort of Management shake up it's often the more efficient/savvy workers who take the opportunity to take another job. They've normally got the confidence and self motivation to make a go of it in the big bad world.
The exceptions of course are the conscientious, hard working veterans who have too many years invested in this Company to simply walk away. They may only be a few years away from their Pension....... so they've basically got to suck it up and take most of the crap that's thrown their way.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
In its natural state the dead wood would provide a haven for wildlife and as it rots down, it fertilizes the soil. There is no need to clear it out.Dorset Plodder wrote:
In my experience you never clear out dead wood.
In a commercial setting you need to clear out dead wood to provide space and light for the healthy trees.
If you were cutting wood for winter fuel you would definitely want to clear out the dead wood from your copse.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
Very Informative Clash.clashcityrocker wrote:In its natural state the dead wood would provide a haven for wildlife and as it rots down, it fertilizes the soil. There is no need to clear it out.Dorset Plodder wrote:
In my experience you never clear out dead wood.
In a commercial setting you need to clear out dead wood to provide space and light for the healthy trees.
If you were cutting wood for winter fuel you would definitely want to clear out the dead wood from your copse.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
Dorset Plodder wrote:Very Informative Clash.clashcityrocker wrote:In its natural state the dead wood would provide a haven for wildlife and as it rots down, it fertilizes the soil. There is no need to clear it out.Dorset Plodder wrote:
In my experience you never clear out dead wood.
In a commercial setting you need to clear out dead wood to provide space and light for the healthy trees.
If you were cutting wood for winter fuel you would definitely want to clear out the dead wood from your copse.Have you been training up in Countryside Management.... Just in Case?
That's straight out of the CSE Rural Studies class from 1980's schooling.
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Later starts alongside a 35 hour week.
Not on a Saturday