wannabeek wrote:I can't understand that tho. I took the kids and did a car boot the other week - made a day's wage.
If I had lovefilm or amazon prime or Netflix I'd cancel that right about now.
I could be wrong but I don't believe that those posties who I hear daily pleading poverty regarding a strike actually have any clue about what real poverty is.
Yes,
The "but I can't afford to go on strike" is invariably from those that are wasteful with money.
Lets be honest here if one thinks going on strike will cripple themselves in a financial sense they are deluded maybe should talk to a shrink if you think that as they have no concept of the future this is what we all are fighting for not bullshit boss on £2 million pounds here Edith the lesson!
I've been with RM for 30 years and been involved in numerous walk-outs and official strikes and received £5 in wages one week (honest) and survived. It IS hard but WE MUST STAND TOGETHER!
IA is forecast for October, the Union will minimise wage cuts by staggering strike but as we have been warned when it will probably take place we can take appropriate action to finance the loss of pay. Please don't cave in.
Come on folks, it's time to stick together. No one can afford to go on strike but there comes a time when you cannot afford not to. Vote yes for all our futures stick together be strong and we can win this
If you can't afford a few days strike now how will you cope when royalmail begin removing allowances?If they win the delivery supplement will be next in line ,count on it.
clashcityrocker wrote:
What do you think a win will look like?
Very good question. The last 'win' led to the situation we find ourselves in now . . .
I think the best case really would be swallowing a hit on the pensions but not so dramatic a cut as RM propose, perhaps linked to higher contributions going forwards. It is unfortunately true that the pension fund (and not just that of RM) is in trouble.
Knocking on the head 'own your own delivery' or 'increased flexibility in working hours' (which I suspect is a euphemism for 'owning your own delivery'). There will be no win without that, no matter what else is attained.
A wage increase modestly above inflation not linked to 'productivity targets that won't be attained'.
However unless the culture of RM changes dramatically (on both sides - management are largely to blame but there is also a recalcitrance amongst a minority of staff with regard to actually doing a full day's work) it will merely be a postponement.
well we've had a rumour from a ''high up'' rep that if we get a big enough yes with a clear cut majority, that RM already have a deal that's ''rumoured'' to be acceptable from our hierarchy..... personally I think that's piffle.
aiden01 wrote:cannot get into my head how a few days strikes (if they happen) is going to wreck any families security ffs .
Perhaps some people are in an unfortunate position they are unable to "save for a rainy day"?
to right , i think most are in the same boat and don't want to lose money and don't want to strike but when you look at a few weeks or whatever of ia and loss of money , its nothing like the money you will lose if r/m get there way and they wont stop taking as well .
These strikes are going to be one day rolling strikes throughout the business. This will help to minimise the financial impact on Posties, while maximising the impact on the business.
Gone are the days of standing on the picket line for weeks at a time, huddled around a brazier. As has been mentioned, we've know this is going to happen for months. You've still got a bit of time build up an emergency find if worried.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder wrote:These strikes are going to be one day rolling strikes throughout the business. This will help to minimise the financial impact on Posties, while maximising the impact on the business.
Gone are the days of standing on the picket line for weeks at a time, huddled around a brazier. As has been mentioned, we've know this is going to happen for months. You've still got a bit of time build up an emergency find if worried.
I'm a HGV driver, If it's rolling strikes, I would strike for one day, then possibly not get paid for the next two, as I'd refuse to cross a picket line. Doesn't matter how many hours I'd worked that day, I'd not get paid.
I'm quite happy to do this as I believe in the cause. I've also built up a strike fund, by working some of my day's off and cutting back. This has been a long time coming and I'm prepared.
When some of you are loosing one day's pay a week, remember there are people who could possibly be loosing three.
Last edited by sweepster70 on 17 Sep 2017, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.
sweepster70 wrote:
I'm a HGV driver, If it's rolling strikes, I would strike for one day, then possibly not get paid for the next two, as I'd refuse to cross a picket line. Doesn't matter how many hours I'd worked that day, I'd not get paid.
I'm quite happy to do this as I believe in the cause. I've also built up a strike fund, by working some of my day's off and cutting back. This has been a long time coming and I'm prepared.
When some of you are loosing one day's pay a week, remember there are people who could possibly be loosing three.
Thanks for pointing that out Sweepster, and thanks for your support. TBH it's something I'd not considered before, not having any experience of that part of the business. You obviously know more than me but I'd have thought if you'd turned up for work and were driving they'd have to pay you regardless of not crossing a Picket Line? But it's food for thought.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
For refusing to cross a picket line when you get back to base, you're sent home without pay. You could have worked a 10 hour shift or more.
Some of the better managers ask you at the start of the duty, if you'll cross, or take on board what you say.
Some send you out regardless, even knowing you'll not cross any picket line.
Last edited by sweepster70 on 17 Sep 2017, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.