The word Lawyer represents as you say, a group of people. As individuals they should be known as what they are, Solicitor, barrister ect. We don't have attorneys in the UK but have an Attorney General.Lounge Lizard wrote:But a solicitor is a lawyer as are other professionals who practice law including advocates, barristers, attorneys and chartered legal executives - but maybe it's not like that "up north".sweepster70 wrote:You're right about trousers/pants.Lounge Lizard wrote:Yes, "from down south" not "up North" but my understanding was that across Britain 'pants' or 'under pants' were worn under 'trousers' or 'shorts' and that only across the Atlantic were 'trousers' referred to as 'pants'.sweepster70 wrote:I guess you're from down south as we call them pants up North. What you showed, we call underpants. The clues in the name UNDER PANTS, they go under your pants. We also have a tea time around 5pm as our dinner time is around midday.Lounge Lizard wrote:"pants"sweepster70 wrote:I wear the blue shirts as I find them cooler in the Summer.
In the winter, I just wrap up more.
I just wish they still had the Summer and Winter pants with the red piping on the pockets.
Royal Mail supplying underwear must have been before my time.
I don't mind if I have a lunch or a dinner around midday and a tea, dinner or supper around 5pm.![]()
And residing so far from Scotland I wouldn't know if anything is worn under the kilt !![]()
![]()
I've always called them pants/underpants (undies for short) and so do mostly everyone around the North West. We also call pants Kecks (sp)
One of my pet hates is the word Lawyer and not Solicitor.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
-
sweepster70
- Posts: 500
- Joined: 24 Jul 2017, 23:16
- Gender: Male
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Yes, but if I didn't know if someone is a solicitor or a barrister I would rightly refer to them as a lawyer.sweepster70 wrote:The word Lawyer represents as you say, a group of people. As individuals they should be known as what they are, Solicitor, barrister ect. We don't have attorneys in the UK but have an Attorney General.Lounge Lizard wrote:But a solicitor is a lawyer as are other professionals who practice law including advocates, barristers, attorneys and chartered legal executives - but maybe it's not like that "up north".sweepster70 wrote:You're right about trousers/pants.Lounge Lizard wrote:Yes, "from down south" not "up North" but my understanding was that across Britain 'pants' or 'under pants' were worn under 'trousers' or 'shorts' and that only across the Atlantic were 'trousers' referred to as 'pants'.sweepster70 wrote:I guess you're from down south as we call them pants up North. What you showed, we call underpants. The clues in the name UNDER PANTS, they go under your pants. We also have a tea time around 5pm as our dinner time is around midday.Lounge Lizard wrote:"pants"sweepster70 wrote:I wear the blue shirts as I find them cooler in the Summer.
In the winter, I just wrap up more.
I just wish they still had the Summer and Winter pants with the red piping on the pockets.
Royal Mail supplying underwear must have been before my time.
I don't mind if I have a lunch or a dinner around midday and a tea, dinner or supper around 5pm.![]()
And residing so far from Scotland I wouldn't know if anything is worn under the kilt !![]()
![]()
I've always called them pants/underpants (undies for short) and so do mostly everyone around the North West. We also call pants Kecks (sp)
One of my pet hates is the word Lawyer and not Solicitor.
I agree though and, for example, if travelling by train I would rather be a 'Passenger' than just a 'Customer'.
Last edited by Lounge Lizard on 10 Sep 2017, 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Look - I can reply to your last post without quoting the whole bloody thread!Lounge Lizard wrote:
Yes, but if I didn't know if someone is a solicitor or a barrister I would rightly refer to them as a lawyer.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Yes, but it doesn't look as pretty !clashcityrocker wrote:Look - I can reply to your last post without quoting the whole bloody thread!Lounge Lizard wrote:
Yes, but if I didn't know if someone is a solicitor or a barrister I would rightly refer to them as a lawyer.
-
LaggyBand
- Posts: 1065
- Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
- Gender: Male
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Anyone notice that feeling of "there's something different about him today" but you can't quite put your finger on it..
..then you realise it's because he's been on the blue side for the past five years, and reluctantly had to fall back on the red for a day 'cos the washing's backed up
..then you realise it's because he's been on the blue side for the past five years, and reluctantly had to fall back on the red for a day 'cos the washing's backed up
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
The red polo gets a pinkish hue after long enough, so it's in keeping with the vans anyway. 
-
sweepster70
- Posts: 500
- Joined: 24 Jul 2017, 23:16
- Gender: Male
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Sorry, haven't mastered what clashcityrocker can do yet.Lounge Lizard wrote:Yes, but if I didn't know if someone is a solicitor or a barrister I would rightly refer to them as a lawyer.
I agree though and, for example, if travelling by train I would rather be a 'Passenger' than just a 'Customer'.
As you are talking about an individual and not a collective, you should refer to them as who they are. If you don't know, then you find out.
If you didn't know a persons name, but knew their face and shouted *Hey you* to them in a crowd, everyone would turn around.
It can be confusing
Last edited by sweepster70 on 11 Sep 2017, 00:26, edited 4 times in total.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32809
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Just moved this to Red Polo forum................na, not really feeling it, Blue shirt it is then. 
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
sweepster70 wrote:Sorry, haven't mastered what clashcityrocker can do yet.Lounge Lizard wrote:Yes, but if I didn't know if someone is a solicitor or a barrister I would rightly refer to them as a lawyer.
I agree though and, for example, if travelling by train I would rather be a 'Passenger' than just a 'Customer'.
As you are talking about an individual and not a collective, you should refer to them as who they are. If you don't know, then you find out.
If you didn't know a persons name, but knew their face and shouted *Hey you* to them in a crowd, everyone would turn around.
It can be confusing
Yes, I'm referring to an individual but if I know that individual as a customer in my local pub, as a member of a sports team or whatever then it will probably not matter one jot whether they are a solicitor or a barrister so I will have no more need or inclination to "find out" their exact occupation than to find out their political allegiance, sexual orientation or anything else about them, especially as, hopefully, we all work to live not live to work.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
What is a Solicitor?
A Solicitor is a qualified legal professional who provides expert legal advice and support to clients. A Solicitor's clients can be individual people, groups, private companies or public sector organisations.
What does a Solicitor do?
After taking instructions from clients, Solicitors will advise on necessary courses of legal action depending on their areas of legal expertise. Most Solicitors in the UK are primarily litigators, although many Solicitors specialise in specific areas of law and some do their own advocacy cases.
Solicitors work directly with clients and although specific work activities will naturally depend on the Solicitor’s area of expertise, they typically involve conversing with clients to establish their firm’s suitability to provide the necessary legal advice and services, taking the client’s instructions and then advising them on the law and legal issues relating to their particular case.
What is a Barrister?
A Barrister generally provides specialist legal advice and represents individual people and organisations in Courts and tribunals and through written legal advice.
What does a Barrister do?
In general, Barristers in England & Wales are hired by Solicitors to represent a case in Court and only become involved once advocacy before a Court is needed. The role of a Barrister is to "translate and structure their client's view of events into legal arguments and to make persuasive representations which obtain the best possible result for their client."
Barristers usually specialise in particular areas of law such as criminal law, chancery law (estates and trusts), commercial law, entertainment law, sports law and common law; which includes family law and divorce, housing and personal injury law.
A Solicitor is a qualified legal professional who provides expert legal advice and support to clients. A Solicitor's clients can be individual people, groups, private companies or public sector organisations.
What does a Solicitor do?
After taking instructions from clients, Solicitors will advise on necessary courses of legal action depending on their areas of legal expertise. Most Solicitors in the UK are primarily litigators, although many Solicitors specialise in specific areas of law and some do their own advocacy cases.
Solicitors work directly with clients and although specific work activities will naturally depend on the Solicitor’s area of expertise, they typically involve conversing with clients to establish their firm’s suitability to provide the necessary legal advice and services, taking the client’s instructions and then advising them on the law and legal issues relating to their particular case.
What is a Barrister?
A Barrister generally provides specialist legal advice and represents individual people and organisations in Courts and tribunals and through written legal advice.
What does a Barrister do?
In general, Barristers in England & Wales are hired by Solicitors to represent a case in Court and only become involved once advocacy before a Court is needed. The role of a Barrister is to "translate and structure their client's view of events into legal arguments and to make persuasive representations which obtain the best possible result for their client."
Barristers usually specialise in particular areas of law such as criminal law, chancery law (estates and trusts), commercial law, entertainment law, sports law and common law; which includes family law and divorce, housing and personal injury law.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Clash,clashcityrocker wrote:What is a Solicitor?
A Solicitor is a qualified legal professional who provides expert legal advice and support to clients. A Solicitor's clients can be individual people, groups, private companies or public sector organisations.
What does a Solicitor do?
After taking instructions from clients, Solicitors will advise on necessary courses of legal action depending on their areas of legal expertise. Most Solicitors in the UK are primarily litigators, although many Solicitors specialise in specific areas of law and some do their own advocacy cases.
Solicitors work directly with clients and although specific work activities will naturally depend on the Solicitor’s area of expertise, they typically involve conversing with clients to establish their firm’s suitability to provide the necessary legal advice and services, taking the client’s instructions and then advising them on the law and legal issues relating to their particular case.
What is a Barrister?
A Barrister generally provides specialist legal advice and represents individual people and organisations in Courts and tribunals and through written legal advice.
What does a Barrister do?
In general, Barristers in England & Wales are hired by Solicitors to represent a case in Court and only become involved once advocacy before a Court is needed. The role of a Barrister is to "translate and structure their client's view of events into legal arguments and to make persuasive representations which obtain the best possible result for their client."
Barristers usually specialise in particular areas of law such as criminal law, chancery law (estates and trusts), commercial law, entertainment law, sports law and common law; which includes family law and divorce, housing and personal injury law.
Nobody's disagreeing with that but both Solicitors and Barristers are Lawyers.
Now can we please get back to deciding between blue shirts and red polos ?
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16716
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
The red polo shirt is an abomination.Lounge Lizard wrote: Now can we please get back to deciding between blue shirts and red polos ?
The current blue shirt is a crime against everything I hold dear,
I actually hate all of the current uniform.
It is all cheap and nasty - a sign of the times.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
massdebate121
- Posts: 95
- Joined: 19 Dec 2011, 08:35
- Gender: Female
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
DGH wrote:The trousers are probably the best.greengiant wrote:Red shirts for the poor souls who got beamed down to a class M planet for their lapsing...
It really is down to choice. I must say, as a woman, the trousers are a terrible fit. i'm very skinny, and the trousers look like M.C Hammer pants on me.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Yeah I gave up on RM trousers a long time ago, terrible fitting, always either too tight or too loose, especially on the waste, would spend my whole time hoiking them up when out on delivery, wearing a belt didn't help. And the scratchy arse material leaves my legs red raw in cold, wet weather.
Now wear cotton rich, cargo style trousers with semi elasticated waste band, so much comfier!
Now wear cotton rich, cargo style trousers with semi elasticated waste band, so much comfier!
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Blue Shirt or Red Polo
Also, the material is too thick for summer time! I wear brasher shorts, they are so much more comfortable and easier to walk in.wacko74 wrote:Yeah I gave up on RM trousers a long time ago, terrible fitting, always either too tight or too loose, especially on the waste, would spend my whole time hoiking them up when out on delivery, wearing a belt didn't help. And the scratchy arse material leaves my legs red raw in cold, wet weather.
Now wear cotton rich, cargo style trousers with semi elasticated waste band, so much comfier!