http://www.farnhamherald.com/article.cfm?id=123072" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FORMER Farnham postman Liam Mulvin will be heading back to his hometown next Tuesday, September 12 for the launch of his debut book, ‘Don’t Worry He Doesn’t Bite!’.
Well known to many in Farnham, ‘Liam the postie’ grew up in the Surrey and Hampshire area. He was a local school boy, attending school at St Polycarp’s and All Hallows, and worked in the local Royal Mail sorting office from 1972 until 2011, becoming a friendly face to many.
He was no ordinary postman to the people of Farnham, however, as he would always go the extra mile for his customers through his infinite acts of kindness, whatever the weather.
For this reason he was sorely missed when he moved on to work for the St Maws sub post office in Cornwall in 2011.
Liam, while still delivering post, has in recent years achieved one of his lifelong ambitions of writing this book of memoirs to share his experiences of the job with others.
He has also previously written for the Western Morning News and Ireland’s Own magazine.
His book tells the tales of a country postman and reminisces on his idyllic, rural Surrey childhood.
The book is witty and humorous in delivering a variety of postal memoirs and incidents, including many amusing and curious encounters with nature as well as close shaves with the local dogs.
His tales are a reminder of how people, like Liam, bring rural communities closer together.
“I simply act as a bridge between this person and another…and I love it,” said Liam about his job.
Liam the postie will be launching his book on Tuesday, September 12 from 4pm to 7pm at The Museum of Farnham’s Garden Gallery, 38 West Street, Farnham.
All are welcome to come along and celebrate the book launch with Liam himself.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postie writes book about his experiences
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postie writes book about his experiences
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Postie writes book about his experiences
Always said I should write a book of the many emotions we as a post people come across at work, a very apt title for the book I wonder what price the book is and if the word Lapsing is mentioned more than 100 times.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Postie writes book about his experiences
I don't doubt that Liam's "book is witty and humorous" but unless his "many amusing and curious encounters" include details of the occasional "breakfast" then I doubt if it will be such a riveting read as Alan Johnson's memoirs.

-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Postie writes book about his experiences
I don't think £12 is witty or humorous, though someone is clearly having a laugh.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.