http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1551 ... e_started/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAIL bosses have apologised after a Glasgow pensioner almost missed a crucial cancer appointment due to a delivery blunder.
David Holland, 75, only found out he due to have an important scan to monitor his illness the day before the appointment because postal staff didn't deliver his appointment letter.
The OAP, who lives in X, only found out he was scheduled to have an MRI - which has an average six week waiting time - after receiving a phonecall reminder from the NHS.
Royal Mail blamed new delivery staff for the error who, "are finding it difficult to marry mail to residents."
They said posties had now been given additional training to try to improve the delivery service.
Mr Holland said: “I have lived at the same address for the last 23 years.
“I received a phone call from the NHS advising me of an appointment the next day.
"They said I should have received an appointment letter but I hadn't and this was the first I was made aware of my appointment.
“This letter in particular was for an MRI scan which was crucial in helping me fight cancer.
"The waiting times for these scans is six weeks so if I never made my appointment it would have been 12 weeks before I would have been seen to.”
"As omeone fighting cancer that thought is terrifying.”
The pensioner said he became stressed that he had missed other appointments and says there were problems with other mail including bank letters.
A spokeswoman for Royal Mail said: “Royal Mail has investigated this matter and we apologise for any inconvenience or distress this has caused the customer.
“The issues Mr Holland has experienced are because new delivery postmen are on his delivery route and are finding it difficult to marry mail to residents.
“Postmen on the route have been briefed about this issue to try and improve deliveries. We have briefed staff and revised training.”
A spokeswoman for NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde said: "Patients will either be given an automated telephone call or consent to allow us to send a reminder text to their mobile phone.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Glasgow pensioner lost crucial mail after new postie started
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Glasgow pensioner lost crucial mail after new postie started
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Glasgow pensioner lost crucial mail after new postie started
A spokeswoman for Royal Mail said: “The issues Mr Holland has experienced are because new delivery postmen are on his delivery route and are finding it difficult to marry mail to residents".
And all these years I never realised there was a matrimonial element to our jobs.

And all these years I never realised there was a matrimonial element to our jobs.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Glasgow pensioner lost crucial mail after new postie started
Surely one of the first things newbies should be taught is to flick check mail before posting it through the letterbox? That way missorts would be spotted!