ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Signing for items troubles

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Signing for items troublesver

Post by Sir Henry »

On the last walk I had, a customer wrote a letter like the ones described earlier giving permission to blue bin items. Took it to the Dom who wouldn't sign it saying that it was between the customer and me. Result, one customer/addressee who didn't get their stuff blue binned. The guy who has the walk now does leave stuff in their bin, they are both happy with the arrangement.

I'm a cover I give no f***s.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
LaggyBand
Posts: 1065
Joined: 29 Jun 2015, 14:07
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by LaggyBand »

CAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:
Spedley wrote:
Also, I do have one drop on my delivery which has a written declaration logged by the DOM absolving any responsibility if the posite signs the item and posts in on their behalf. It is an optional thing, you don't have to sign it yourself. When you know the people because it is your regular delivery then this seems to be a fair compromise (just make sure you take a copy signed by the DOM for yourself)
On one of the rural we used to have that until it was stopped by the Dom , the reason was that the recipient couldn't give you authorisation to sign only the sender.

Makes big sense in my eyes.

The occupier of the address can't simply waive a term of a contract that they themselves are not party to.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by robbertwhitton »

Am sure we can start a whole debate on this issue,what's right and proper,and what sort of a relationship the regular postman has with his valued customer who he knows better than most and what they want doing with said items ,where to leave etc....rural deliveries out in the sticks in the back and beyond,miles away from the office that no doubt shuts at 1230,have maybe a different delivery approach to customers,weather its right or wrong,it happens,trust me.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12200
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by SpacePhoenix »

robbertwhitton wrote:Am sure we can start a whole debate on this issue,what's right and proper,and what sort of a relationship the regular postman has with his valued customer who he knows better than most and what they want doing with said items ,where to leave etc....rural deliveries out in the sticks in the back and beyond,miles away from the office that no doubt shuts at 1230,have maybe a different delivery approach to customers,weather its right or wrong,it happens,trust me.
There's no debate needed, the customer is the person sending the mail not the person receiving it
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Signing for items troubles

Post by Lounge Lizard »

robbertwhitton wrote:Am sure we can start a whole debate on this issue,what's right and proper,and what sort of a relationship the regular postman has with his valued customer who he knows better than most and what they want doing with said items ,where to leave etc....rural deliveries out in the sticks in the back and beyond,miles away from the office that no doubt shuts at 1230,have maybe a different delivery approach to customers,weather its right or wrong,it happens,trust me.
"rural deliveries out in the sticks in the back and beyond,miles away from the office that no doubt shuts at 1230" doesn't get me signing for items and it makes no difference that, as happened again this week, I'm told that the postman on my day off always signs for them "if I'm out". :thumbup
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Signing for items troubles

Post by k979aaa »

SpacePhoenix wrote:
robbertwhitton wrote:Am sure we can start a whole debate on this issue,what's right and proper,and what sort of a relationship the regular postman has with his valued customer who he knows better than most and what they want doing with said items ,where to leave etc....rural deliveries out in the sticks in the back and beyond,miles away from the office that no doubt shuts at 1230,have maybe a different delivery approach to customers,weather its right or wrong,it happens,trust me.
There's no debate needed, the customer is the person sending the mail not the person receiving it
Correct and anyone signing for it who is not at the premises is guilty of theft by fraud even a postal worker!
antcpfc
Posts: 629
Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25

Signing for items troubles

Post by antcpfc »

I deliver special deliveries for walks that can't get to them by 13.00.
A house had a note on door saying they take full responsibility and to put item through door aft t signing myself.I left a docket and the post man asked why as they are nice people :roll:
Until one goes missing.
Slider tool. Lol.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by rubberbond »

antcpfc wrote:I deliver special deliveries for walks that can't get to them by 13.00.
A house had a note on door saying they take full responsibility and to put item through door aft t signing myself.I left a docket and the post man asked why as they are nice people :roll:
Until one goes missing.
To me the same principle applies to DTN, If stuff goes missing ,or a denial of receipt,it come back to haunt me. That's why P739 cards were invented. Plus a lot of offices now open on a Sunday,so plenty of time to fetch your stuff.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Signing for items troubles

Post by Lounge Lizard »

I can't recall another topic with two dozen posts and near total agreement. :nana
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by bmccoll »

Years ago... you knocked the door, no answer. However a neighbour could sign for the item and you'd post it through the letterbox... crazy!
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by Natagora »

If you've been on the same round for some time then you get to know your customers. I'm on first name terms with many of mine. When they get in, the last thing they want to see is a red slip telling them to drive into town to collect something that would have fitted through the letterbox but for not having a signature. If the customer tells you it's ok with them, just put a scribble down and post it through. I do this, every single day.
Same goes for leaving stuff in sensible safe places. They're my customers, I've got to know them, and in their eyes I'm doing a great job! You can't just have some robotic attitude towards people who you're seeing on a regular basis.
For sure, there are people on my round that I wouldn't be taking any chances with and so they get a red slip through the door, but for me this is a last resort. If it's agreed with the customer, then just put the bloody thing through and stop overthinking the job.
Darwinsdad
Posts: 78
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by Darwinsdad »

Natagora wrote:If you've been on the same round for some time then you get to know your customers. I'm on first name terms with many of mine. When they get in, the last thing they want to see is a red slip telling them to drive into town to collect something that would have fitted through the letterbox but for not having a signature. If the customer tells you it's ok with them, just put a scribble down and post it through. I do this, every single day.
Same goes for leaving stuff in sensible safe places. They're my customers, I've got to know them, and in their eyes I'm doing a great job! You can't just have some robotic attitude towards people who you're seeing on a regular basis.
For sure, there are people on my round that I wouldn't be taking any chances with and so they get a red slip through the door, but for me this is a last resort. If it's agreed with the customer, then just put the bloody thing through and stop overthinking the job.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, and if I am someone will put me in my place, but the people you deliver to are not your 'customer'. Your 'customer' is the person sending the thing.
Now if you have got permission from some factory in China to sign for and post Mrs Bloggs item then fair enough. Me, I'll just stick to taking an extra minute to write a 739 out, doesn't bother me in the slightest. After all, people arent stupid enough to order the latest must have fad thing knowing they would be out, then mither because they had to collect it themselves after paying extra for shortest delivery time possible, are they?......
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by Natagora »

Not interested in arguing over the potential meanings of the word customer. Mrs Bloggs has given me permission herself thanks, so I'll sign for the item and post it through.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by aiden01 »

Natagora wrote:Not interested in arguing over the potential meanings of the word customer. Mrs Bloggs has given me permission herself thanks, so I'll sign for the item and post it through.
and when Mrs bloggs item goes missing (allegedly) who takes responsibility??
Natagora
Posts: 37
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 18:35
Gender: Male

Signing for items troubles

Post by Natagora »

It won't go missing, it'll be lying on the carpet when she opens the door and steps into the house, and she'll be pleased that I've saved her an annoying journey to collect it.