ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by Postie45 »

South_London_Postie wrote:Postie 45 "Ive heard that items can be left if the customer puts it in writing and its logged with your manager. I dont know how legit that is"

WRONG.

Royal Mail has a contract with the sender of the Mail not the recipient. Only the sender can authorise and nominate that the parcel is left in a safe place NO ONE else. Do not get involved and bring the parcels back to the office.
thanks for clearing that up, wasnt going to go out of my way to get such a cover letter anyway, but thought it could be an option for others
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by telithowitis »

Today my partner and I brought back 3 complete Mail sacks full of undelivered packets!! And it cost the RM an extra 1/2 hour each of time longer than our delivery normally takes.
Collection office weren't impressed but we told them it wasn't their job on the line.
1st time delivery rates will be plummeting but I will be there to be nagged about it as you can't get sacked for doing your job correctly!!!
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by bmccoll »

Last week I was chinned about a tracked packet that a customer said they didn't get, they had used the RM tracking system which showed that it had been delivered on the Monday, while the RM's co-ordinates showed it was delivered to a house 4 doors down, which I vehemently challenged.
Anyway on the Thursday the customer subsequently received a number of other packets, one of which was the aforementioned 'missing' tracked!?!?!

:arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
Jimbo2017
Posts: 33
Joined: 06 Aug 2017, 21:29
Gender: Male

First Time Everytime

Post by Jimbo2017 »

This made me smile for all the wrong reasons.


Anybody able to give me a link to the rule book for delivery standards please?
Last edited by Jimbo2017 on 19 Aug 2017, 18:39, edited 3 times in total.
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by BeamishStout »

There appears to be an increase in our LDO re the complaint of 'Denial of Receipt'. It used to be 'mis-delivery' and 'customer in when delivery attempted'. I've not experienced this myself yet but I did comment to the WPC the other day about its apparent increase.

The days of leaving items in an unsecure place have gone for me many moons ago. :Very Happy DTN is carried out selectively due to the reasons mentioned throughout this thread. Having seen the blatant doorstepping (sometimes in dreadful weather) carried out by rival courier firms I'd like to think that the majority of posties are now more concerned with the proper way to handle such items, rather than chasing this dreadful metric of FTD (First Time Delivery) which raises its ugly head from time-to-time. :no no
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by woopesh »

I did try a peshwari naan again recently, to give it the benefit of the doubt. To be fair, it was quite tasty by itself. However, it didn't go with my Chicken Jalfrezi at all. Its more like a sweet or cake. What's it for? I mean, why not go the full hog and offer a hybrid battenburg fruitcake?
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by BeamishStout »

woopesh wrote:I did try a peshwari naan again recently, to give it the benefit of the doubt. To be fair, it was quite tasty by itself. However, it didn't go with my Chicken Jalfrezi at all. Its more like a sweet or cake. What's it for? I mean, why not go the full hog and offer a hybrid battenburg fruitcake?
:hmmmm

Well I least I read it :crazy:
Bella2013
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Nov 2015, 21:50
Gender: Female

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by Bella2013 »

I never leave anything anymore. I did when I first started but then realised how serious it could be if something went wrong. I once had someone say they'd never received their tracked item when I definitely 100% handed it over to them. I remenbered it clearly because it was a big heavy box and I was glad to be rid of it. And I was definitely at the right address as I knew the round really well.After this I've started to think a lot of the time people are trying it on when they say they haven't had their item, sadly.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by Postie45 »

i wonder if a certain type of customer recieves a tracked which doesnt require signing for they think that it hasnt been logged or the postie has made a mistake and not got a signature for it, so they complain and say not recieved.
ArthurPewty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Dec 2016, 17:15
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by ArthurPewty »

Postie45 wrote:i wonder if a certain type of customer recieves a tracked which doesnt require signing for they think that it hasnt been logged or the postie has made a mistake and not got a signature for it, so they complain and say not recieved.
I think you might be on to something. More and more now people give me a funny/suspicious look when I tell them they don't need to sign for a parcel.They definitely think you've either cocked up or are just saying it to save time. Out of these there must be the odd chancer who is going to try it on to get something for nothing (and either wilfully or unwittingly get the finger of suspicion pointing at the postie.
sjnb6
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 May 2013, 21:49
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by sjnb6 »

to cover yourself the only safe place is back at the office. I can't be bothered knocking other people's doors unless it doesn't involve extra walking
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by robbertwhitton »

Dom and a Lino going to see the customer??? That's typically good use of resources?,are they really going to make a thing of this?god I dispair at this company how they make a big thing of little things,all fine until something goes astray,and immediately it's the guy at the sharp end that gets it,do they simply think you didn't deliver it??
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by ScousePostie »

Last week I had a tracked for a gated house that has a buzzer system. If no one answers the buzzer at the house the system automatically calls their mobile phone. Impressive. I was instructed by the customer to leave it over the wall out of sight, which I did.

Callers office called me this morning whilst out of delivery saying that the customer had been in asking where their parcel was. I told them exactly what I'd done and customer said they'll have another look when they return home. I wasn't impressed, but realise my mistake here. It is fair to say this isn't something I usually do. In hind sight, I have probably trusted this customer a little too much on this occasion.

I have been to the same address again today, used buzzer, buzzer went to customers mobile phone. I told the customer that there was a parcel to sign for. He said, "I'm not in at the moment, can you just throw it over the fence?". I told him the parcel needed a signature so I wasn't prepared to do that. "It'll have to go back the office then", he said.

No official complaint made about the packet yet.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by Dexydog »

Last week I had a (foreign) special delivery with an address and correct postcode for that address and no number on it.
Phg handed it to me asked me if I knew the customer's number, which I did.
Duly scanned and delivered straight through letterbox, no signature required.
End of week another the same, this time a tracked.
Scanned and handed over on doorstep, I mentioned to customer they may like to let the sender know the correct and full address in future.
Day after, complaint of non receipt!!
From now on, they will be getting killed off as incomplete.
It's interesting 2 items, from 2 different senders, no number on.
The cynic in me says a deliberate and premeditated attempt by the recipient to deny receipt.
Definitely on the rise this problem, but what can you do?
I just hope that when they are shown the tracking confirmation they withdraw knowing they've been rumbled.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Customer saying they haven't received Tracked I delivered

Post by peshwaarinaan »

robbertwhitton wrote:Dom and a Lino going to see the customer??? That's typically good use of resources?,are they really going to make a thing of this?god I dispair at this company how they make a big thing of little things,all fine until something goes astray,and immediately it's the guy at the sharp end that gets it,do they simply think you didn't deliver it??
Hi, I was the original poster of this thread. Don't think DOM and Lino actually ever went out there. When I followed this up my Lino said the GPS clearly showed it being delivered on the doorstep. My colleague was in the van and backed me up. Lino said he would always trust his staff before customers and it was marked down as customer being in the wrong or words to that effect. To cut a long story short it didn't go against me as customer was clearly dodgy and trying it on.