luddite wrote:Can anyone clarify this; a workmate owes me a day that I worked for him, can said workmate work said day for me whilst they are on annual leave?
I don't see why not, if it's just a like for like replacement ... i.e him coming in to replace you, so you can get the day off.
luddite wrote:Can anyone clarify this; a workmate owes me a day that I worked for him, can said workmate work said day for me whilst they are on annual leave?
No.
They cannot attend the office while on annual leave.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
luddite wrote:Can anyone clarify this; a workmate owes me a day that I worked for him, can said workmate work said day for me whilst they are on annual leave?
No.
They cannot attend the office while on annual leave.
This is where it gets complicated though, there's nothing stopping someone cancelling their annual leave and taking it at a later date, this is obviously a personal issue and nothing to do with anyone else so there's really no way to police this agreement.
Normally, I ain't got an issue with staff wanting to work when they are on holiday. However, it does become a massive issue when managers start lapsing duties knowing full well that they can always fall back on a few staff that are on Annual Leave and are more than prepared to come in and work!! Do they not enjoy their holidays or something??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
I am only contracted 20 hours Wednesday to Saturday but often work on Mondays and Tuesdays either as overtime or swapping days off. Could I work Mondays and Tuesdays during my annual leave weeks, should I want to and the office need me?
Karen 12345 wrote:I am only contracted 20 hours Wednesday to Saturday but often work on Mondays and Tuesdays either as overtime or swapping days off. Could I work Mondays and Tuesdays during my annual leave weeks, should I want to and the office need me?
I doubt that they will currently allow you to work any days when you are on annual leave. Apparently it is illegal and your DOM could get into serious trouble for allowing it. What is strange is that Royal Mail used to turn a blind eye to allowing this practice over a year ago.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Karen 12345 wrote:I am only contracted 20 hours Wednesday to Saturday but often work on Mondays and Tuesdays either as overtime or swapping days off. Could I work Mondays and Tuesdays during my annual leave weeks, should I want to and the office need me?
I doubt that they will currently allow you to work any days when you are on annual leave. Apparently it is illegal and your DOM could get into serious trouble for allowing it. What is strange is that Royal Mail used to turn a blind eye to allowing this practice over a year ago.
But is she actually on annual leave on the days she doesn't work anyway?
If the "day off" argument works (even though it shouldn't) then she should be able to work on Monday and Tuesday as overtime, just as she does every week if required.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
There is in fact no legal restriction on people working during their annual leave, either attending their place of work or undertaking work-related activity elsewhere (eg reading/answering emails, phonecalls, etc - obviously this sort of activity isn't really applicable to most of us).
However there is a duty of care upon the employer to ensure employees are not suffering undue stress and part of the purpose of annual leave “is to enable a worker to enjoy rest, relaxation and leisure: it is for the protection of health and safety” (NHS Leeds v Larner)
It is therefore sensible for employers to prohibit employees from attending work during annual leave in case they lay themselves open to future claims related to employee stress.
fishtank wrote:Nobody is talking about legal restrictions.
Actually someone was just above.
I'd suggest then that if the agreement is phrased in a way sufficiently woolly so as to allow the 'day off' question to arise, it might need revisited. I grant that it's common bloody sense that it should apply to the entire week, not just the actual leave days, but as workers on short hours become increasingly desperate for more income and as RM managers increasingly struggle with inadequate staffing, people are going to start to look for loopholes.
I know in my office a certain amount of 'holiday day shuffling', as it were, goes on and that in a couple of cases people have accrued so much carried over leave that they cannot (or rather are not allowed by RM to) take it all in one calendar year. And that is illegal.
All I know is that staff have been coming in to work during their annual leave week/s and expecting to be paid overtime and they didn't get paid any overtime at all. Instead all they got back was additional leave days to take - when they didn't want them - all they wanted was the overtime.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
postslippete wrote:All I know is that staff have been coming in to work during their annual leave week/s and expecting to be paid overtime and they didn't get paid any overtime at all. Instead all they got back was additional leave days to take - when they didn't want them - all they wanted was the overtime.
That would be the sensible think for RM to do - to give the days back and assume the annual leave cancelled. Otherwise, as I say, they leave themselves potentially open to lawsuits.
However even when it comes to giving leave days back they need to be careful, because of the legislation surrounding how annual leave may be carried over from one year to another and RM's policy of no more than 30 days in any one year.