ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
-
Nicky9177
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
- Gender: Female
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
No I didn't have a face to face interview i was accepted In through the armed forces side
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
The only thing I was asked about duty patterns was that if I was happy working Saturdays.feduppostie wrote:was it not explained to you at interview what the duty patterns could be? It usually is one of the questions that they have to tick to make sure you understand that your duty patterns could be flexible
-
Nicky9177
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
- Gender: Female
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
Yeah I was warned about Saturday work but I actually don't mind working a Saturday it's just like any other day really
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
Nicky,
It would have been a good idea to join the CWU when you started with Royal mail rather than wait fourteen months.
Most reasonable adjustments are about the actual work done rather than the hours worked and it doesn’t help that the contract you signed last year did not stipulate over how many days you work your weekly 24 hours.
It would have been a good idea to join the CWU when you started with Royal mail rather than wait fourteen months.
Most reasonable adjustments are about the actual work done rather than the hours worked and it doesn’t help that the contract you signed last year did not stipulate over how many days you work your weekly 24 hours.
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
1/ I recommend you join the union asap
It goes without saying in the mean time that overtime is voluntary and you cannot be made to work over your contract hours if you don't want to
Email the DOM tell him you will not work over your time and for example on the day you have just a couple of hours left to make your hours up tell him that your hours Finnish at 12.00 today you will be back at that time and will not be in tomorrow as you have worked all your contract hours. Get the union rep or at least someone else present to witness the conversation
It goes without saying in the mean time that overtime is voluntary and you cannot be made to work over your contract hours if you don't want to
Email the DOM tell him you will not work over your time and for example on the day you have just a couple of hours left to make your hours up tell him that your hours Finnish at 12.00 today you will be back at that time and will not be in tomorrow as you have worked all your contract hours. Get the union rep or at least someone else present to witness the conversation
-
Nicky9177
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
- Gender: Female
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
Thanks for the advice all guess I'll just have to ride it out or leave 
-
chrisj
- Posts: 1883
- Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
- Gender: Male
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
I have to agree that 5 days 24-hours contract is a non starter... You should be on 27.5 hours making it 5.5 hours per day.
Anything else is just impossible and an exploitation.
Most deliveries are 4hrs and you get at least 20-30 minutes break plus, van checks, bagging up, collecting specials and pda travel and wrap up, etc .
You are in less than 5hrs a day - no!
Anything else is just impossible and an exploitation.
Most deliveries are 4hrs and you get at least 20-30 minutes break plus, van checks, bagging up, collecting specials and pda travel and wrap up, etc .
You are in less than 5hrs a day - no!
-
Nicky9177
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
- Gender: Female
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
I start at 10am and finish at 14:40 for a 20min lunch break so it doesn't even come into account any off the bagging off taking the van back to the yard etc
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
So what happens to the van if you don't take it back to the yard ?Nicky9177 wrote:I start at 10am and finish at 14:40 for a 20min lunch break so it doesn't even come into account any off the bagging off taking the van back to the yard etc
-
Nicky9177
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
- Gender: Female
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
We get a telling off and who ever is on that what the next day won't be sure we're it is
-
Nicky9177
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
- Gender: Female
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
Can someone just clear something up if I start at 10am and finish at 14:40 is that the correct start and finish time for over 5days on 24hrs finshing at 14:40 would then give me my 20min meal relief I believe that's all I'm entitled to or so I'm told
-
I_Take_My_Breaks
- Posts: 55
- Joined: 07 Feb 2014, 09:13
- Gender: Male
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
24 hours over 5 days equal to 4 hours 48 minutes per day.Nicky9177 wrote:Can someone just clear something up if I start at 10am and finish at 14:40 is that the correct start and finish time for over 5days on 24hrs finshing at 14:40 would then give me my 20min meal relief I believe that's all I'm entitled to or so I'm told
So if you start at 10am, your finishing time should be 14.48. Within these hours you are entitled to a paid meal break of 20 minutes which leaves you with work of 4 Hours and 28 minutes. The start time is depending on the office. Then can ask you to start at 0930 or 0900 if it fits in with their shift patterns. But whatever time they ask you to start, you still only work 4 hours and 48 minutes. Everything over and above this is overtime and is voluntary.
If you turn up to a frame at 10am and that is not fully prepped, prep the frame and cut off accordingly to your finish time of 14.48. It is managements responsibility to manage. NOT YOURS. Let them earn their 10% bonus
-
Celtic Postman
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 27 May 2016, 20:34
- Gender: Male
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
And just to follow up, the travelling time to take the vehicle back to the office and hand back any undelivered mail, packets and Signed for items is included within your work hours.
-
ted_e_bear
- Posts: 4118
- Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
- Gender: Male
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
These posts really wind me up, we've got someone doing their best on an impossible to do the job in 24hr contract getting grief from a manager to the point of wanting to quit, but the part that really gets me is the postie is trying to make a living having witnessed things whilst serving in the forces that have had a severe impact on their life and they're being held back by a bullying tw4t who hasn't got a clue, probably makes him feel really hard by bullying an ex soldier and most likely the most traumatic thing to happen in his day is his coffee going cold !!
-
Nicky9177
- Posts: 21
- Joined: 13 Apr 2017, 15:07
- Gender: Female
Advice needed 24hr contact just doesn't work
I used to be able to confront people but since my diagnosis I've gone right into my shell.daft thing is I'm more qualified than any of the mangers in there I just want to go in do my work do the job and come home don't want the trouble or hassle of feeling this way I actually love the the physical side of the job gets me out and about in the fresh air but if this continues I see no other way but to leave 