ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Best thing about being a Postie?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by woopesh »

comeracing wrote:Having sunday off,alot more negatives than positives in this job now 10 year ago nice job.
Didn't they say the same thing 10 years ago?
Cooltallpaul
Posts: 2
Joined: 20 Feb 2014, 17:50
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by Cooltallpaul »

It depends on what you've done for work in the past as a comparison. Being outdoors is great and in the office is like being back at school. Once you know the job then it's only as stressful as you allow it to be. There's a lot worse jobs to be doing.
postbuster
Posts: 41
Joined: 14 Jun 2017, 12:58
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by postbuster »

Assuming that everyone is still a Postie for Royal Mail. I guess the thing I find fascinating is despite the negative things I read, it's that people stick it out for so long.

So I guess there must be some reasons for staying. Is the wage truly the biggest motivation? I guess maybe the stress is not so much the job itself but the other things around it - management, company policies etc.

Thanks Cooltallpaul - Coming from an office environment, it would be a massive change for myself in terms of the type of job it is. I guess I want to ensure I get all the facts before commiting. Thanks for your reply, that does help.
glfp
Posts: 71
Joined: 16 Jan 2008, 14:18

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by glfp »

Smatthew wrote:Assuming that everyone is still a Postie for Royal Mail. I guess the thing I find fascinating is despite the negative things I read, it's that people stick it out for so long.

So I guess there must be some reasons for staying. Is the wage truly the biggest motivation? I guess maybe the stress is not so much the job itself but the other things around it - management, company policies etc.

Thanks Cooltallpaul - Coming from an office environment, it would be a massive change for myself in terms of the type of job it is. I guess I want to ensure I get all the facts before commiting. Thanks for your reply, that does help.
Coming from an office environment it will be a massive change.

People constantly moan but stay for 30+ years.
Strange breed - I guess you'll find out.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by Postie45 »

I think people are just very frustrated about how badly things are run, and if youre new you will see that very early on. Theres also been a culture of job and finish which is nearly completely gone now, and this has changed the job in the eyes of many, as a new starter you obviously wont have those "good old days" to look back and compare to what the job is now. If youre prepared to work at a fair pace, do your hours, follow procedures you`ll be fine, id suggest looking at posts from new posties and read their experiences, theres been a few threads ive noticed from them over the past few months.
philsdeals19
Posts: 62
Joined: 29 Jul 2010, 17:44
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by philsdeals19 »

Being at work all day Saturday and so worn out on Sunday to do anything with the family you can't go out and spend any money. Bad back, achey legs, out in the height of the sun oh and our fantastic wages. You even get one Saturday in 6 off.
Being able to book a day off at short notice to attend a family occasion or child's school event.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by Justanotherstar »

Every now and then a woman will open the door and you'll get a flash...this can also be a very horrible negative...
Not too sure you could use that in a job application though... :cuppa
genesis
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 May 2007, 21:04

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by genesis »

Tman wrote:No one lives or dies by your actions
No personal safety issues (over and above any other person in the street)
No periodic testing for continuing ability
No responsibility to RM after knocking-off time.
No personal targets to be met, affecting pay etc
Along with recognised union representation, HR, paid sick, paid leave, laid down codes of conduct, appeals processes.
Yep, what an awful job.... :crazy:
But with the extended delivery spans ,eventually you will wear your body out.
In the old days you could transfer indoors .Perhaps you did this?
gary1975
Posts: 482
Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by gary1975 »

Weekly pay
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Smatthew wrote:Evening

I'm currently trying to go through the recruitment process with RM and reading a lot on the forum. Definitely sensing how tough conditions can be.

As someone who is looking to join the business. What are some of the positive things you like about the role or the company?

I've checked some older topics but struggling to find anything recent so apologies if this topic is a bit recycled.

Cheers.
I also came from an office environment and I love being a Postie. Yes there are loads of negatives and staff do get bullied by managers but there are lots of positives too. Mine being:

When you are out on delivery you are largely left to your own devices.
Uniform
Pension
Shares
Good rate of pay
Paid holidays and sick pay
You can buy extra annual leave
Working outside is great 90% of the year
Having a laugh with your colleagues indoors
50 free first class stamps at Christmas!

There are far worse jobs believe me! Good luck with your application.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by woopesh »

Never quite saw the point in Peshwari Naan myself. Always preferred a plain Naan with meat curries or a keema naan or garlic naan if wanting something a bit different.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by Interested-seeker »

I quite enjoyed being a postie for the short time that I was delivering till I was put on collections. Things I liked:

- Getting exercise.
- Friendly co-workers.
- Being out and about on my own.
- Being outside.
- Chatting to the public.


Things I didn't like:

- Time pressure
- People not answering the door even though they are in
- Vans in poor condition
- Working saturdays
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by Brandy »

Handing my notice in,and not having to put up with bullying anymore from the so called managers! :wave
Post69
Posts: 195
Joined: 12 May 2017, 09:38
Gender: Male

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by Post69 »

gary1975 wrote:Weekly pay
Not for long if royal mail get their own way!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Best thing about being a Postie?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Post69 wrote:
gary1975 wrote:Weekly pay
Not for long if royal mail get their own way!
Batted into the Long Grass today according to PDA message. RM took that and the 3 days no sick pay off the table. :dance :dance
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.