ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman David Burkett, from Braintree, taking on two million step challenge to raise awareness of diabetes

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman David Burkett, from Braintree, taking on two million step challenge to raise awareness of diabetes

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co.u ... s/?ref=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
A postman with type 1 diabetes is taking part in a one million step challenge to raise awareness of the condition.

David Burkett, from Braintree, was diagnosed 17 years ago and is now on a mission to show how walking works as a great form of exercise.

The challenge is run by Diabetes UK and takes place over three months, meaning participants will need to complete 10,000 steps a day.

Mr Burkett, 35, said: “As a postman I walk a lot every day, so I wanted to set myself more of a challenge.

"This means I have to average just under 22,000 steps, every day for 92 days.

“I’ve worked out that I will have walked around 950 miles by the end of the challenge.”

The event takes place between July 1 and September 30 and invites people to push themselves out of their comfort zone, by taking one million steps and being sponsored for every stride.

Mr Burkett is planning to put in double the effort and complete two million steps in the three month challenge.

His type one diagnosis means he can't produce any insulin and is treated with daily doses by injection or a pump, along with a healthy diet and exercise.

Teresa Strange, Diabetes UK eastern fundraiser, said: “People can walk it, jog it or dance it.

"There is so much choice about how people can achieve one million steps.

“Every penny raised will help us to support the millions of people living with diabetes in the UK so please give generously to back David and support their amazing effort.”

To take part email events.fundraising@diabetes.org.uk or visit diabetes.org.uk/million-step To sponsor Mr Burkett visit justgiving.com/David-Burkett2.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.