ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
Maybe this is a compromise between the CWU and Royal Mail
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
And yet up until now, a postie (even if emptying a post box) was not supposed to accept mail handed to them by a member of the public, another weakening of the security protocols (just like when the time a HCT can be left unattended was quietly increased from 2 minutes to 10 minutes sometime around 2012)!
Maybe RM should have the vehicle fleet modified, to incorporate a post box, with a big enough trapdoor slot to accept parcels up to ~30x10cm? Public then place items into box themselves, if they happen to spot van on their street, OPGs then continue to not handle the mail personally as before?
Maybe RM should have the vehicle fleet modified, to incorporate a post box, with a big enough trapdoor slot to accept parcels up to ~30x10cm? Public then place items into box themselves, if they happen to spot van on their street, OPGs then continue to not handle the mail personally as before?
-
charlie1
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 15 Aug 2007, 15:28
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
Considering where we are currently with talks over pensions pay and conditions, surely its time the CWU ended all cooperation with any new and current trials etc nationally and locally. Whilst we are on the verge of being balloted for strike action, some areas of the union still seem intent on cosying up to the bosses. I`m ready to support my union if a strike is voted for, but please CWU lets start showing some balls.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
As for security protocols I don't think the risk is theft by the postman, more likely the danger is something like hands full of packets, letters and PDA the accepted letter is put in a pocket and then overlooked with trying to get the delivery done properly including all the Specials by 1pm.IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:And yet up until now, a postie (even if emptying a post box) was not supposed to accept mail handed to them by a member of the public, another weakening of the security protocols (just like when the time a HCT can be left unattended was quietly increased from 2 minutes to 10 minutes sometime around 2012)!
Maybe RM should have the vehicle fleet modified, to incorporate a post box, with a big enough trapdoor slot to accept parcels up to ~30x10cm? Public then place items into box themselves, if they happen to spot van on their street, OPGs then continue to not handle the mail personally as before?
-
wookie
- Posts: 319
- Joined: 30 Dec 2011, 12:38
- Gender: Male
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
What happens if the letter/packet doesn't arrive at its destination and the customer said 'They gave it to the postie' ?
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
I must say that in all my time doing rurals picking up letters there has never been a complaint about a missing letter either by me or the rest of the guys in the various offices I've worked in.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
That's precisely my experienceCAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:I must say that in all my time doing rurals picking up letters there has never been a complaint about a missing letter either by me or the rest of the guys in the various offices I've worked in.
-
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
- Posts: 182
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
- Gender: Male
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
Yes there was one in a local office that wouldn't touch them , but he is a lazy sod, regularly " missorted" mail so he missed the long lanes etc, left his van fuel empty just before his day off , still he had his comeuppance as we had a revision and he ended up as a shared van day off cover . I didn't laugh muchLounge Lizard wrote:That's precisely my experienceCAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:I must say that in all my time doing rurals picking up letters there has never been a complaint about a missing letter either by me or the rest of the guys in the various offices I've worked in.although my day off cover wouldn't touch them as if they were too much responsibility.
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
Doesn't really cause any problem on rurals nor is it likely to IMHO. You're probably emptying at least one box anyway on most rurals, so anything extra that gets handed to you just gets put with it (generally into an otherwise empty tray).CAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:I must say that in all my time doing rurals picking up letters there has never been a complaint about a missing letter either by me or the rest of the guys in the various offices I've worked in.
That said I do recall a delivery a couple of Christmases ago where I got to the 12th house on the frame and I'd picked up more mail than I'd dropped off!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
And no problem on the rurals partly because we're in and out of the van so often that any post I'm handed just goes into a pod I have in the back of the van for that purpose, and then handed to the Sub Postmaster with the undelivered parcels and Signed Fors.toomuchcoke wrote:Doesn't really cause any problem on rurals nor is it likely to IMHO. You're probably emptying at least one box anyway on most rurals, so anything extra that gets handed to you just gets put with it (generally into an otherwise empty tray).CAMPINGBLUNDERER wrote:I must say that in all my time doing rurals picking up letters there has never been a complaint about a missing letter either by me or the rest of the guys in the various offices I've worked in.
That said I do recall a delivery a couple of Christmases ago where I got to the 12th house on the frame and I'd picked up more mail than I'd dropped off!
-
nickbsmooth
- Posts: 279
- Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: South East
MRM.COM : New trial begins of accepting mail on urban deliveries
If only we were on the same pay rate as our US equivalent sbritwrit wrote:If only the Royal Mail had gotten rural customers to use mailboxes like in the states, we could've had wee little trucks like these....
![]()
Zip up to a mailbox, lean out to deliver the mail, scoot on. No more trudging about.